Library Spotlight - Westgate Woodwinds (pt.1)

i really like piccolo legato, its sounds really good, and all woodwinds are very playable and sounds good without using CC. but patches are messy, maybe because its an old library. also i think prices are expensive if you buy all of them, but you can buy them separately (40$ for each instrument). if this library get sale in full packages and below 200$, i think i will buy it

OP
Cory Pelizzari

Cory Pelizzari

(Solonoid Studio)
i really like piccolo legato, its sounds really good, and all woodwinds are very playable and sounds good without using CC. but patches are messy, maybe because its an old library. also i think prices are expensive if you buy all of them, but you can buy them separately (40$ for each instrument). if this library get sale in full packages and below 200$, i think i will buy it
Below $200 is asking a bit much considering these instruments have perfect legato and consistent deep sampling for each instrument. I think $400 (same as Studio Woodwinds Pro) would be a reasonable upper limit. Comparing the quality of sampling, consistency and legato to other woodwinds libraries puts things into perspective. For example I'd much rather pay $700 for these than $700 for Spitfire's Symphonic Woodwinds. The extra mics in that library don't make up for its weaker (and on the odd occasion, unusable) legato samples overall. Now I'm just waiting to see what CSW can offer...

Below $200 is asking a bit much considering these instruments have perfect legato and consistent deep sampling for each instrument. I think $400 (same as Studio Woodwinds Pro) would be a reasonable upper limit. Comparing the quality of sampling, consistency and legato to other woodwinds libraries puts things into perspective. For example I'd much rather pay $700 for these than $700 for Spitfire's Symphonic Woodwinds. The extra mics in that library don't make up for its weaker (and on the odd occasion, unusable) legato samples overall. Now I'm just waiting to see what CSW can offer...
i agree, below $200 is asking too much despite their library is good. but the reason why i'm saying this because... lets say, if i'm choosing between westgate woodwind with spitfire studio woodwind pro with same prices, example $400, i would choose spitfire because they're more new and sophisticated rather than westgate unless westgate are more cheaper than spitfire, but it doesnt mean spitfire are better than westgate. i mean why someone want to buy old library, if you could buy new library with an same prices and "better". you know what i mean....

Jimmy Hellfire

i agree, below $200 is asking too much despite their library is good. but the reason why i'm saying this because... lets say, if i'm choosing between westgate woodwind with spitfire studio woodwind pro with same prices, example $400, i would choose spitfire because they're more new and sophisticated rather than westgate unless westgate are more cheaper than spitfire, but it doesnt mean spitfire are better than westgate. i mean why someone want to buy old library, if you could buy new library with an same prices and "better". you know what i mean....
You're kind of contradicting yourself here a bit.

Just because a library was released more recently does not automatically mean that it's more sophisticated or recorded better than some older ones. Which is frequently proven by newer releases.

The more recent SF libraries, in fact, prove this ... I'd even argue that one of their oldest libraries - the now-called Chamber Strings - is one of their highest-quality releases.

bryla

Orchestrator
Quite disagree on the oboe. It sounds lovely to me!

I remember when these were all the rave 15 years ago and I wanted so much to buy in to this modular approach as a student. I think it was the user SvK that did some great things with these on this forum – some 3 forum iterations ago.

It seems these just slipped of my radar (as well as anyone else's) when EWHO (and CineWinds) came out especially where you could get a complete woodwind collection (with all the flaws that it had). They sort of became outdated in my mind and their website never seemed to update.

Thanks for bringing them back and with the patches I could see myself looking to them next time I want to upgrade.

Mike T

Boring Member
Thanks for putting some more attention on these. I've been interested for years, but not enough to commit at ~$700. It's a shame that the developers and/or distributors don't seem interested in getting more information out and streamlining the purchasing options.

purple

Thanks, Cory. You are one of the very few reviewers who provides useful reviews of orchestral libraries IMO, and this woodwind review came at just the right time as I am currently considering this collection against others and have not seen many reviews and demos of them outside a couple forum posts (many of which contain mostly dead links from 2008) and the official demos.

This demo makes me think maybe I will prefer this over berlin woodwinds exp B for my solo woodwinds. The versatility is unparalleled in the woodwind arena to my ears. While I slightly prefer the tone quality of the berlin collection, I am more confident in the ability of westgate's woodwinds to do whatever I want whenever I want, much like how I feel about the cinematic studio series. Plus, I don't intend to use two of the instruments from the berlin collection anyways for now, and with this route I can buy whatever instrument I need on a piece by piece or project by project basis.

Very nice review! Excited for part 2!

OP
Cory Pelizzari

Cory Pelizzari

(Solonoid Studio)
You're kind of contradicting yourself here a bit.

Just because a library was released more recently does not automatically mean that it's more sophisticated or recorded better than some older ones. Which is frequently proven by newer releases.

The more recent SF libraries, in fact, prove this ... I'd even argue that one of their oldest libraries - the now-called Chamber Strings - is one of their highest-quality releases.
Yep. The idea that old is worse is a rather misguided notion. Take Omnisphere and its Bizarre Guitar or Distorted Reality samples for example - or even Cinematic Strings 2 for that matter. Companies like Spitfire take way more shortcuts now that they have massive release schedules so "new" definitely don't mean deep sampled or polished.

MisteR

You might try info at or support at

.westgatestudios.com

But I assume you did that already. Even if it’s wrong it may bounce to the admin.

Jimmy Hellfire

Yep. The idea that old is worse is a rather misguided notion. Take Omnisphere and its Bizarre Guitar or Distorted Reality samples for example - or even Cinematic Strings 2 for that matter. Companies like Spitfire take way more shortcuts now that they have massive release schedules so "new" definitely don't mean deep sampled or polished.
Omnisphere and CS2 are particularly good examples! They just keep on giving.

tomosane

Interesting video. It got me thinking -- are there any other vendors (besides Big Fish Audio) who are selling old Gigastudio-era stuff in Kontakt format?