Library Spotlight - Studio Strings

Discussion in 'REVIEWS' started by Cory Pelizzari, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Wolfie2112

Wolfie2112 Senior Member

Come alive in what way? It's intended to be a dry library. I have added a few presets from EW Spaces which makes hem sound a bit more "full" when I need a bigger sound.

2. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Member

Jan 24, 2019
    I find them so dry out of the box for my purposes that I'm adding reverb to make them sound more full, yes. Also trying to get a bit closer to the "sound" of Berlin Strings Library, which I love, but can't afford right now ! Just playing around, but I figures I'd pick this up in the sale as it was relatively cheap and see if I could tweak it a bit. Better to get a dry library and tweak it rather than a wet one, which you can't really take away the wetness

3. Manuel Stumpf

Manuel Stumpf Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Attached you find 2 concert hall settings for Valhalla room.
    You can use them as starting point and tweak them for your liking :)
    I found them here:
    https://valhalladsp.com/2011/05/25/valhallaroom-tips-and-tricks-realistic-concert-halls/

Attached Files:

GingerMaestro likes this.
  4. Manuel Stumpf

Manuel Stumpf Member

Sep 30, 2018
    I don't have Kontakt 6. But as the Studio Series is a Kontakt Player library, I could install Kontakt 6 Player in order to use Cory's custom patches.
    Does anyone know if installing Kontakt 6 Player in parallel with a Kontakt 5 Fullversion works?
    Or does this harm/break the Kontakt 5 Fullversion?

5. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Member

Jan 24, 2019
    @Manuel Stumpf I’m using Kontakt 5 full and Kontakt 6 player, obviously separate instances and it works absolutely fine, no problems so far.

Manuel Stumpf likes this.
  6. CGR

CGR Pianist/Composer/Arranger

Jan 14, 2016
    Australia
    Ditto.

7. chocobitz825

chocobitz825 Active Member

Aug 7, 2018
    only issue ive had with running both at once is that things like your resources and quick load folders will not automatically sync on both. My system seems to favor Kontakt 5 many times, so i had to copy the contents from 5 and add them to 6.

8. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Member

Jan 24, 2019
  9. gamma-ut

gamma-ut Member

Jul 5, 2017
    You copy the text and paste it (Ctrl/Cmd-V) into the window of the plugin. More here: https://valhalladsp.com/faq/presets/

10. Manuel Stumpf

Manuel Stumpf Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Clicking the red "Preset: Default" label in Valhalla opens the menu.

Two ways of doing that:

a)
    You can extract the presets from the zip-Archive and copy them into the preset folder listed on the FAQ homepage gamma-ut has linked above (the path depends on whether you use Windows or Mac operating system).
    The presets will then show up in the menu of Valhalla as "User Presets".

b)
    Open a preset files in a text editor, copy it to the clipboard.
    Then again in the Valhalla preset menu you can paste settings from the clipboard.

You can also save your own presets with the "Save as..." entry.

11. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Member

Jan 24, 2019
    I stumbled on this whilst looking for a fix for Spitfire Harp (Which is a bit disappointing IMHO !) :- http://www.syntheticorchestra.com/blog/?18
    It's a Pedal fix for Spitfire libraries. I've found if you load it into the SStS legato patch you can trigger the legato/portamento transitions by holding the pedal down, rather than doing the weird overlapping the notes thing with your fingers which is not very intuitive to me. This is similar to a technique that the brilliant @Embertone folks use on their string libraries.

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 7:35 AM
    dzilizzi likes this.