Library Spotlight - Studio Brass

Discussion in 'REVIEWS' started by Cory Pelizzari, May 12, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Cory Pelizzari

Cory Pelizzari (Solonoid Studio)

Nov 19, 2017
    Sydney, AU
    I've always felt the exact same way when it came to making a decision on a library - I only rely on what my ears tell me. I got fed up in the past with developers not having enough actual playthrough content and I got angry when I clicked on a review or playthrough video where the person was playing the library like a piano.

That's what made me want to make videos in the first place. I never wanted to review libraries, just make interesting audio examples, but I eventually became known as a reviewer. It makes me want to just go back to basics to be honest...

2. Parsifal666

Parsifal666 I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    You tend to trump many of the pro walkthroughs I've seen. It can seem more personal, plus you're not selling anything (which obviously makes a huge difference).

I've certainly used SA's walkthroughs to help me make decisions, but it's often the more personal reviews that sell me on something.

Shoot, as I've mentioned too many times (and please forgive in advance) I mostly bought SSTWW for the audios shared by a person who apparently despised the library lol!

3. Banquet

Banquet Member

Apr 4, 2019
    Norfolk, England
    Your reviews have been extremely helpful to me and I appreciate having access to your expertise :)

Cory Pelizzari likes this.
  4. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    How are you getting around the troublesome calibration of the modwheel for the longs on the brass and the velocities (imho) set far too soft for the shorts? Have you altered the velocity curve for the shorts to something more like what Cory demonstrates for the woodwinds? In addition to making that change to the shorts, I find with the brass that I have to make an alternate version of the longs that restricts the patch to the lowest dynamic layer to give me enough range on the modwheel to do effective gentle swells. Cory hints at this in his comments about the bumpy dynamic layers—not always a bad thing because sometimes you want to swell into that edge. But I do find many of the patches in the brass library difficult to use in the state that Spitfire shipped them.

I should add that other than the calibration I’ve been generally pleased with the library, so I 'm not meaning to knock it in the least but just noting some of the challenges it has presented me.

Parsifal666 likes this.
  5. Sarah Mancuso

Sarah Mancuso Esselfortium

Apr 9, 2019
    USA
    I find that it helps to sometimes use the expression control (which affects volume directly) in addition to the mod wheel (which has a smaller dynamic range and also affects which recordings are played), for more thorough control over dynamic movement.

I've now reached the point where I miss having that secondary control in non-Spitfire libraries :emoji_slight_smile:

Parsifal666 likes this.
  6. Parsifal666

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    I must be more forgiving with libraries than some folks. Those peccadilloes to me were just things I either worked around or blended or replaced with another library. But I have had to do that with most of the libraries I've ever owned. When I get a library I'm so busy working how and with it that I just don't think about the annoying idiosyncrasies much... I just forge on. I play to the strengths and nip the weaknesses in the bud via substitution.

ism and jbuhler like this.
  7. ism

ism Senior Member

Dec 14, 2016
    So what you’re saying ...is that you really can never have too many string libraries after all, no? :)

Parsifal666 likes this.
  8. Parsifal666

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    HA yes! We should now make this national: You Can Never Have Enough String Libraries Day!

jbuhler and ism like this.
  9. Parsifal666

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
  10. Denkii

Denkii Member

Mar 15, 2019
    That's the mantra I'm chanting while saving money for SCS....also if I won the lottery I'd get Afflatus but I don't consider saving for it (yet).

Parsifal666 likes this.
  11. ism

ism Senior Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Broader point of course is re: allegations of excessive focus on the positive. Which is a valid point, yet this is how everyone has always worked with sample libraries. Find out what it does well, work around what it doesn't. This plus the fact that for every line a given sample library can play, there's going to be uncountably infinities of lines that it can't.

Just a thought.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    WhiteNoiz and Parsifal666 like this.
  12. Parsifal666

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    There's no such thing as a perfect library, just as there's nothing as good as having actual performers play your composition...ideally performers who like your music. No library can or will capture that.

WhiteNoiz, Wolfie2112 and jbuhler like this.