Library Spotlight - PercX

kelexys

You're the first to point out some of the cons of this program :) Nice review! Is it possible to insert your own samples and play them with PercX?
What would you consider as an alternative, with the same kind of features and sound quality?

Last edited:
OP
Cory Pelizzari

Cory Pelizzari

(Solonoid Studio)
You're the first to point out some of the cons of this program :) Nice review! What would you consider as an alternative, with the same kind of features and sound quality?
When it comes to cinematic percussion I usually recommend things like Strikeforce and Apocalypse Percussion. You can check out my recommendations page on my site and see if you like the look of anything there:

The closest thing will probably be Heavyocity's Master Sessions libraries (not much instrument content though), Sonuscore's Action Strikes, Audiobro's LA Drama Drums and my personal favourite, Damage (which nearly everyone uses).

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
When it comes to cinematic percussion I usually recommend things like Strikeforce and Apocalypse Percussion. You can check out my recommendations page on my site and see if you like the look of anything there:

The closest thing will probably be Heavyocity's Master Sessions libraries (not much instrument content though), Sonuscore's Action Strikes, Audiobro's LA Drama Drums and my personal favourite, Damage (which nearly everyone uses).
Your review and this post are soooo helpful for pianist /organist (moi) ….. always struggling with Percussion needs and choices !!
Have LADD, StylusRMX, Damage, Action Strikes, Drum Fury, and could not sort PercX in terms of true addition, or duplication /overlap.
Personal perc naivete left me in doubt until your succinct video.
Many thanks for instructive help !:thumbsup:

OP
Cory Pelizzari

Cory Pelizzari

(Solonoid Studio)
Thanks for the review. Wonder if @Auddict would be willing to hop in to this thread and address some of the shortcomings you mention here.
I doubt Auddict would even consider improving on the shortcomings, considering it would require a whole new set of sampling sessions. Thus the limitations of using loops for sample sources.

Nemoy

Thank you for covering this PercX library, Cory. I appreciate your thorough no-nonsense and honest input that really empowers consumers and hobbyists with real facts and information so that they can make informed decisions. It's getting harder to find actual coverage and real honest reviews that don't try to hide or leave out things (intentional or not). I applaud you for that and you have much of my respect. I for one don't have the kind of money to plunk down on just any library that may sound "good" and look innovative. Your coverage and detailed reviews are very helpful in this regard and I personally feel you are a great asset to the VI community here. So many devs market their product as being the best or groundbreaking upon release and only show you or talk about the highlights of the library and even edit their videos in such a way to circumnavigate you from seeing or hearing any shortcomings.

Last edited:
OP
Cory Pelizzari

Cory Pelizzari

(Solonoid Studio)
Would you buy it, at the reduced price for the moment, just for the sounds? Are they worth the $150?
I did buy it, but just the $100 version and picked the Traditional volume for the expansion you get with the core version. If you don't mind spending an extra 50 bucks though I'd say go for it. There are some neat sounds in the other expansions.

DarkestShadow

You're my favorite reviewer for sure! :thumbsup:
I'm also surprised that barely anyone else mentioned the inconsistent RR's and dynamics. Funny, lack of RR's seem to a trend with percussion libraries lately haha.
I personally am pretty happy with PercX (full) so far. Some really great sounds... I felt like my percussion arsenal was lacking and PercX rectified that for little cost for now. Also a good range... from traditional and organic to trailerish banging stuff (with some layering).
Except that one of the patches has a sluggish round robin, a note that always comes in a little bit too late - especially apparent when layering it with other tighter drums. Guess I'll just mail them about it. Should actually be easy to fix - just some silence in the beginning that needs to be removed.