What's new

Libraries that aren't seated in place

josejherring

Considering purchasing my first orchestral library were everything was recorded dead center.

I've had little bits and pieces of libraries that aren't recorded in place but I've never had the full thing or have had to blend it with libraries that are recorded in place.

What are some ways to get them into position. I've tried in the past the simulated Haas effect or Precedence effect by delaying one channel (what people call the Haas effect but really isn't). I have also used regular panning with a 3 db pan law. I've tried power panning as well but never fully seem to get that one right. Maybe I need to full clear up what the difference is between power panning and regular.

Is there any technique I'm missing or does anybody have any tips on getting a good Haas effect going or power panning?

I use MIR with zero reverb. Previously I tried VSS and liked it quite a bit: https://www.parallax-audio.com/

Version 2 looks quite incredible and if I didn't already have MIR I would buy it. Honestly I like MIR but don't love it and kinda wish I'd seen this first because I think strong, good algorithmic approach to this problem is better than convolution. That's just my personal opinion on it.

OP
josejherring

josejherring

I use MIR with zero reverb. Previously I tried VSS and liked it quite a bit: https://www.parallax-audio.com/

Version 2 looks quite incredible and if I didn't already have MIR I would buy it. Honestly I like MIR but don't love it and kinda wish I'd seen this first because I think strong, good algorithmic approach to this problem is better than convolution. That's just my personal opinion on it.
VSS looks good for sure. How is it with libraries with a room already in the samples? The library I want to get and try is recorded in a good space but recorded in the center of the room.

hawpri

After trying VSS out for a long while, I came to the conclusion that it wasn't my failure to use the tool correctly, it was that the tool wasn't yet good enough. The sound just isn't improved when processed through VSS, and it didn't help me blend dry libraries with libraries recorded in place at all. I removed each instance of it from my template, but have definitely retained an interest in the next version, whenever it comes. I think it could be a great product when it gets to a certain point of development.

Yeah with MIR I use close mics. Moving a mixed/tree mic, I would just use panning and hope for the best. (Part of why I went all-in on Spitfire was so I could always just use tree mics and never worry about this stuff).

Seeing Precedence I would buy that just based on 2CAudio reputation alone although the demos do a terrible job of showing how I would use it, needs a how-to video, I think.

Top Bottom