Libraries Database Software?

YaniDee

I'm trying to use my currently ample free time to learn LibreOffice Base, so I can create a database of all my instrument libraries. I would include fields such as name, instrument type (with sub categories), vendor, folder location, player, etc. However, I'm no programmer, and I'm wondering if there's anything similar out there..Does anyone know of existing software that would serve this purpose?

OP
Y

YaniDee

Thnx for replying..most of the links on that thread are gone..frankly I'm not looking for a huge database with all the bells and whistles, just a catalogue of what I own , to help me find sounds when needed..

OP
Y

YaniDee

Well I got it started..I'll tweak as needed..it was not too difficult. Entering all the info will take some time!
DatabaseSm.jpg

Jdiggity1

As a shortcut, you can use a program like TreeSize to export your folder structure (including folder size, dates, etc.) as text or .csv and then import into your database. That should at least create all of the necessary entries for you, then you're just left to fill in the less significant details.
Though that will depend how you have your folders organized.
My folder structure is "Developer">"Library", so that translates really well for database purposes.
My database is currently maintained in AirTable.

MatFluor

Yes, the original links are gone. From the first idea of a simple database with a good amount info, the specialized ideas what to implement grew larger and larger and harder to implement to a degree where I decided to let it rest for a while. Too many ideas started to work against each other and made the design extremely convoluted ;)

For personal use, it shouldn't be too difficult to do, I'd even might suggest MS Access or FileMaker for the start, or as would be my preference a SQLite database directly.

If you would like some help or exchange of ideas etc, hit me up!