What's new

Lexicon Native PCM Authorization Error?

Studio E

Eric Watkins
I apologize for being less than perfectly specific, but I figure that anyone else who has experienced this issue will know what I'm talking about. I have been working on a new template for two weeks now and I am super close to having it finished. I have many reverbs, Lexicon PCM Bundle, Spaces, BX Room, The Cubase Reverbs, the Komplete Reverbs, etc. Well I first started out with Spaces for reverbs, but honestly, as good as it sounds under certain circumstances, I don't like the non-control-ability of decay time, early vs late reflections, etc. So I set out to make the Lexicon work for me, and I found results that I really really liked. The problem though, is that I keep getting errors saying that it can no longer run do to an authorization exception. The weird thing is, the reverbs (9 instances) are all still working when this happens, but it stops my workflow and sometimes happens every few minutes. I have no idea what that means and I have a support ticket to Lexicon.

Two questions:

1) Anyone have any idea what this is about or how to fix it? The license is on a 2nd generation iLok with other licenses which are giving me no grief whatsoever.

2) I've already been thinking of replacing it with something else, but I want an algorythmic again, so I can have the control I'm looking for and I'd really like it to of course, sound great AND not hit my CPU any harder than necessary.

I'm open to hearing anything you've got on either front and very much appreciate your input. I kind of thought I might pickup Valhalla Room, but it's hard to imagine it comparing with the Lexicon. Thanks everyone!

I strongly suspect this has to do with iLok because I used to see similar license errors for Lexicon in the past before updating to an iLok 3. One suggestion is to make certain your iLok License Manager is up to date. I am uncertain as to why this problem only occurs with Lexicon, but it was suggested previously that the plugins haven't been updated much since the original versions. Certainly, I wouldn't give up on them and, personally, I have had no problems with them now for quite a long time. Anyway, do consider iLok/ILM as the possible source of your problem.

I strongly suspect this has to do with iLok because I used to see similar license errors for Lexicon in the past before updating to an iLok 3. One suggestion is to make certain your iLok License Manager is up to date. I am uncertain as to why this problem only occurs with Lexicon, but it was suggested previously that the plugins haven't been updated much since the original versions. Certainly, I wouldn't give up on them and, personally, I have had no problems with them now for quite a long time. Anyway, do consider iLok/ILM as the possible source of your problem.
Thanks. I might just pickup an iLok 3 and see if it helps.

The Lexicon plugins stopped working for me and many others a few months back. As far as I know, there still is no fix. I had to stop using them.

https://proforums.harman.com/lexicon/discussion/136627/pcm-total-bundle-just-stopped-working

The Lexicon plugins stopped working for me and many others a few months back. As far as I know, there still is no fix. I had to stop using them.

https://proforums.harman.com/lexicon/discussion/136627/pcm-total-bundle-just-stopped-working
Yep same thing happened to me ..I sent them a request when they finally answered a few weeks later they said they didn't know what's wrong with the iLok(blame shift).After a few months I asked if it was fixed...crickets.....until last week I opened Lexicon and voila'..I love my bundle however I'll never buy anything from them again because of their very poor service.

Yep same thing happened to me ..I sent them a request when they finally answered a few weeks later they said they didn't know what's wrong with the iLok(blame shift).After a few months I asked if it was fixed...crickets.....until last week I opened Lexicon and voila'..I love my bundle however I'll never buy anything from them again because of their very poor service.

Wait...it's working for you again now?

yes....have you tried yours yet?

Yep. Still no workey. The thread link I posted earlier says for non-Pro Tools users the workaround for now is to download a previous version. But...I'm a Pro Tools user.

Yep. Still no workey. The thread link I posted earlier says for non-Pro Tools users the workaround for now is to download a previous version. But...I'm a Pro Tools user.
I know how you feel Lexicon gave me no solution...then it just worked.Hope it will be that easy for you.

I suffered from this for a long time (Ilok2 too, btw) and one thing that took away 9 error cases out of 10 was someone's advice to re-install the whole thing "in case you have used a demo version before authorizing it" which was what I had done. If you have the same situation, try that out. And in fact, as you've prolly "installed first, authorized when prompted", one could think it might help to do it anyway.

The best way to replicate that error is to close and load again a project multiple times (e.g. checking out mix settings from different project versions, etc.) in a row. Usually at third or fourth time, the authorization goes bonkers and you're screwed. And then,

The weird thing is, the reverbs (9 instances) are all still working when this happens

...this may happen and everything still works perfectly. Or they're all gone. Or, two of those are missing but you didn't notice that. Or the fourth one was reseted to default settings. Trust me, if that happens, don't bother to continue working with that project but close it again in order to avoid any nasty surprises later.

One workaround that also helps Lexicon to "reset" that nag is to make a new project, throwing a couple of lexes there and saving it. Usually the nag is gone that time, but if it's not, boot your computer and repeat the step. After getting that new blank one working, the next time you open that "real" project again, the plugins should load nicely again.

It's fucking incredible that we can't these super-expensive (and supergood) plugins to work like they should, but instead get this weird "it's the other guys' fault" response from both Lexicon and ILok. I even bought the Relab in order to get rid of that high risk of failing plugin, but have been lately drifting back to Lexicon again because I just love that sound so much. (While the Relab is goddamn excellent, it's a bit more "dirty" than the Lex and not as superclean and overpolished.)

If you ever manage to get an official workaround and fix for this, I'd love to hear about it!

It's fucking incredible that we can't these super-expensive (and supergood) plugins to work like they should, but instead get this weird "it's the other guys' fault" response from both Lexicon and ILok.
I think they're probably abandonware now. Harman don't care and the developer responsible for the plugins left years ago. I expect there's nobody left who knows how to fix them. A real shame as they do indeed sound great. I feel especially sorry for those who paid $1500 for them when they first came out.

I think they're probably abandonware now. Harman don't care and the developer responsible for the plugins left years ago. I expect there's nobody left who knows how to fix them. A real shame as they do indeed sound great. I feel especially sorry for those who paid $1500 for them when they first came out.
I agree this is bordering on criminal.They should drop the iLok so everyone who bought their product can use it.

Thanks guys. I decided to buy Altiverb. I know it's a different creature all together, and I am both sad and pissed off about the Lexicon plugins. I think I paid $500 for them. In the end, I just need something to work, and so far, Altiverb is killing it, using the Mechanics Hall (as I learned it's one of Jake Jackson's favorites) to match the space of the London Air samples from all my Spitfire libraries. I still have Valhalla Vintage Verb and I'll start giving it a good go as a replacement for my Algorythmic reverbs. I do have spaces, and it sounds great, but not having things like basic decay time doesn't work for me as well.

Top Bottom