What's new

Let's hear those horror pieces!

Which patch? There are quite a few
I think i asked the same question last year, lol! I was surprised by how good it sounds!

Kudos to Tim for cunningly utilizing those "forgotten" types of patches.

Sorry for the late reply but I had to load kontakt up to get the patch name! It's the "Organ KH GrPrplenum (Manual) *and* (Pedal)" patches!I believe I turned the built in reverb off and ran it through a cathedral IR in Altiverb but I haven't reloaded the session to check.

EDIT

Also, thanks! The full stop organ in Kontakt is absolutely classic!

Seeing this Halloween thread pop up last week is actually what inspired me to dust off an old cover of the End Credits from Army of Darkness. Composed by Joseph LoDuca, mocked up with midi by ear.

Like the movie, it is more fantasy than horror, but still in the spirit of Halloween. :emoji_jack_o_lantern:

Last edited:
Here's something I did with Mike Andrews which was a lot of fun. The director wanted a retro score to go along with his silent movie. Even so we got in there with some more modern stuff as well. It was recorded in France. Afterward the conductor told me the orchestra applauded the score, saying they rarely got to play such harmonies.

From the film Paris, je t'aime:

Last edited:
Here's something I did with Mike Andrews which was a lot of fun. The director wanted a retro score to go along with his silent movie. Even so we got in there with some more modern stuff as well. It was recorded in France. Afterward the conductor told me the orchestra applauded the score, saying they rarely got to play such harmonies.

From the film Paris, je t'aime

wow, Dave that is so great - I love it! It is perfect for the silent style, delineating the action beautifully, and is so witty with the uber-romantic sections set off by the theremin. Just brilliant.

wow, Dave that is so great - I love it! It is perfect for the silent style, delineating the action beautifully, and is so witty with the uber-romantic sections set off by the theremin. Just brilliant.
Thanks William! Far more time was taken on that score than you would expect since it was only a few minutes long. That is, the director came over numerous times and wanted to sign off on every other frame - it felt like. Still, that language (as you know) is a lot of fun to sink into and there wasn’t any restrictions on moving into other territory as long as it was effective. One was able to do some real writing and that’s always a welcome development.

I have one more track to offer on the topic. Atonal and more on the terror side.
This had some bad background which caused this. A sadistic animal killer did some disgusting things here in the region over years.

Thanks William! Far more time was taken on that score than you would expect since it was only a few minutes long. That is, the director came over numerous times and wanted to sign off on every other frame - it felt like. Still, that language (as you know) is a lot of fun to sink into and there wasn’t any restrictions on moving into other territory as long as it was effective. One was able to do some real writing and that’s always a welcome development.
I can see how it would take a lot of time. I was blown away by this - it is the best film scoring I have heard in years, including anything in the theaters. Fantastic skill and imagination. Did you do the orchestration as well as composition? A silent movie is the hardest kind of film to score. The music becomes a character instead of background. But you know that - this is truly masterful.

Also, that is such a great short film. Totally engaging from beginning to end with a hilariously appropriate ending the audience can't help wanting. What a wonderful project to be involved in. And your music completes it perfectly.

Top Bottom