What's new

Let's discuss SOLO by John Powell

I actually find music pretty shallow in Solo...I dont remember a single theme, except the originals from Williams here and there. Pretty forgettable...

I'm sorry I don't follow. So are you saying that remembering a theme would make the music not shallow? I get the idea of being able to write a memorable theme and develop it. That's great. A skill worth having certainly. But, to define music as being shallow because it doesn't have a memorable theme I think is just wrong headed. You are missing out on so much great music from having such a needlessly narrow view of how music must be crafted and what it must conform to.

Star Wars is/was and should always be filled out with iconic music themes...which certainly is missing in Solo! Too each his own. In some different movie, maybe this type of music would suit perfectly, but not Star Wars.

Star Wars is/was and should always be filled out with iconic music themes...which certainly is missing in Solo! Too each his own. In some different movie, maybe this type of music would suit perfectly, but not Star Wars.

That's a fair point.

No surprises here - John Powell nailed it. But, it is amazing to hear how he moves through Williams's original themes but also the general spirit of Star Wars music yet still injecting his voice in there very clearly.

This is very unlike Rogue One which is a little boring and very much Giacchino but not Star Wars material. I respect his choice to stick to his own voice but I think it his weakest work so far because the music failed to be the best version of himself as well as not speak the language of Star Wars.

As a contrast, Solo is wonderfully fluent in the language but also adds lots of new thematic material which stands well with the original. I really liked the score and I expected nothing less when I heard he was on board for this film. It is a pity that the film has flopped. May be we won't hear another score form John Powell but I hope we do.

No surprises here - John Powell nailed it. But, it is amazing to hear how he moves through Williams's original themes but also the general spirit of Star Wars music yet still injecting his voice in there very clearly.

This is very unlike Rogue One which is a little boring and very much Giacchino but not Star Wars material. I respect his choice to stick to his own voice but I think it his weakest work so far because the music failed to be the best version of himself as well as not speak the language of Star Wars.

As a contrast, Solo is wonderfully fluent in the language but also adds lots of new thematic material which stands well with the original. I really liked the score and I expected nothing less when I heard he was on board for this film. It is a pity that the film has flopped. May be we won't hear another score form John Powell but I hope we do.
The score had received very good reviews so I’m sure if Powell is asked he will revisit. I’d be happy if Powell scored episode 9 if Williams can’t compete it for some reason.

The score had received very good reviews so I’m sure if Powell is asked he will revisit. I’d be happy if Powell scored episode 9 if Williams can’t compete it for some reason.

If anyone else has to, I'd rather Alan Silvestri do it. He wrote no shortage of memorable themes and demonstrated that he can develop them.

I'm also interested in what would Desplat and Morricone do with Star Wars, but that's unlikely to happen :D

I just saw the movie now and listened to the OST for a few times.

Well, There are some good tracks, the new love theme is awesome although no way better than across the stars... It has that old-school vibe but not fits the star wars musical language (which ATS do)

Also it is hard to judge the music as Powells work as most of the time themes from JW are appearing therefore there is no space for originality

The use of drums driven pieces (which I always found cheap) is not adding to the prestige of the music too, and as someone else said, it does not fit the SW style at all.

Don't get me wrong, the music itself is a good action music for nowadays standards. If there wasn't so many drums it would be better ✌

Top Bottom