What's new

Let's define what being a composer is

Desire Inspires

To the stars through desire....
Being unknown and broke for his/her whole and then getting famous and making other people rich after he/she dies.

OP
TimCox

TimCox

That's my quality control. Go outside. Come up with a melody. Go home. If it's still in your head, record it. If it's gone, it was no good.
Or maybe Harry Gregson-Williams is siphoning all your good melodies through lizard mind control beams

Polkasound

It's really about feeding a kind of hunger in others in a very organic way. It's someone who doesn't merely use what he is given, but gives back to the world as much as he can, and allows the world to analyze every component to maximize how all of its recipient can benefit from such a gift.

Oh wait, I thought you said composter. Sorry.

Anders Wall

55°36'48.6"N 13°07'14.2"E
I say @christianhenson is spot on when he says "head of department".
He's said it in other vids, I only find this.
And I don't know how to make it play from the right time in the vid, hell I don't even know how to view the time on youtube vids. It's so much easier with bruned in timecode :)

Anyhow, the actual composing is a minor part of a composers life, sorry I'm writing about people writing for film/tv/games. There are so many meetings, endless spotting sessions, contacting musicians, writing contracts, signing contracts etc...
On my two latest contracts the Swedish Broadcast Corp had a part where they wanted 10% of my earnings if I ever were to release the material on CD or on Internet (ie youtube / spotify etc...).
Just to be clear, this is something they pay almost nothing for. That I spend days/weeks/months on.
I pay all the musicians, write their contracts, prepare stems and do a stereo mix for them to use.
If they sell the series to other channels I get 1-3% of the... royalties(?)
So, you have to write email, phone lawyers etc...
IE, you are "head of department".

Best,
Anders

Michel Simons

It's really about feeding a kind of hunger in others in a very organic way. It's someone who doesn't merely use what he is given, but gives back to the world as much as he can, and allows the world to analyze every component to maximize how all of its recipient can benefit from such a gift.

Oh wait, I thought you said composter. Sorry.
Do some composters also suffer from an imposter syndrome?

CoffeeLover

an odd childish innocence?
an obsession?
some sort of compulsive desire to manipulate soundwaves
like wanting to play with toys maybe?

Top Bottom