Lemur iOS/TouchOSC and Eastwest

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by buschmann, Oct 17, 2015.

1. buschmann

buschmann Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anybody out there has used either Lemur iOS or TouchOSC (i have both) to control keyswitches with Eastwest? I know there are several tools out there that could help the process: A.G Logic Toolkit, Art Conductor and SkiSwitcher all comes to mind, though i dont own any of them. I also know of the UACC V2 template which in esscence is exactly what i want - but i havent found any reference to wether it works with the PLAY engine. I use Logic X.

2. snattack

snattack Senior Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Yes and No. I'm using Lemur with a custom made template, and I'm (going to) use it with SkiSwitcher2 for strings/woodwinds sending keyswitches, and Art Conductor for Perc sending UACC-CC-message.

If you want to control keyswitches, all you need is to add a Pad-object, set the Midi0 as destination and select the midi note value.

I learned Lemur from the different templates users have put out + tutorials. I use minimal scripting since I'm not at all a programmer.

3. Peter Schwartz

Peter Schwartz Senior Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Hi Buschmann, any MIDI source that outputs notes can be used to change articulations in SkiSwitcher. The process is explained on my website, but in brief:

Keyswitch note messages (or program change messages) from any MIDI source are used to encode notes on different MIDI channels on their way into Logic. This happens live. The k/switch events (or p.c. messages) are not recorded. A look at the event list of a part will reveal notes on different MIDI channels, each one corresponding to a different k/switch (in my system, "channel changing key"). Then, a Script looks at the MIDI channels of the notes and in turn, provides the patch with the keyswitch notes it normally expects to see. This is all transparent, so you never see them in a MIDI recording. So it really doesn't matter what source you use to provide these k/switch notes (channel-changing notes). Could be anything. If you like, please visit www.skiswitcher.com for the full story. Cheers!

4. OP
    OP
    buschmann

buschmann Member

Jun 7, 2014
    So, if i set the PLAY engine up with different articulations on different MIDI channels, then make a button for each articulation in Lemur that triggers note on/off, set the correct midi ruting in click and ports, SkiSwitcher2 will translate this into something PLAY will understand?

5. Peter Schwartz

Peter Schwartz Senior Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Hi Buschmann,

Two scenarios -- both of which start with having 16 buttons/pads on your Lemur to output 16 consecutive MIDI notes. Those will be your set of keyswitches for any kind of patch -- keyswitching or multi-timbral. As I mentioned in my previous post, the action of hitting keyswitches results in encoding notes on different MIDI Channels. So now to the two scenarios, which are applicable with Play whether you're using keyswitching patches or, as with Hollywood instruments, a multi-timbral setup:

Keyswitching Patches: as described above, a Script takes those MIDI channels and in turn, provides the patch with the keyswitch notes it normally expects to see. (As an aside, it's possible to get chords to each play with a different articulation even from keyswitching patches, just by having different notes on different MIDI channels).

Multi-Timbral Patches: the main SS2 Script is not required. Here, the MIDI channel of notes will naturally play the correct articulations in your m/timbral setup. There's a separate Script which lets multiple articulations (all on different MIDI channels) to respond to a common stream of CC messages on just one MIDI channel. I call this Controller Unification, where a stream of (say) CC#11 messages on channel 1 will control all the different articulations even though they're on different channels in the plugin.

So that's the long way of saying, "yes, SS2 will convert notes on your Lemur to the information that Play will understand."

Best,

Peter