Lemur: Automatically Turn Off Previously Selected Switch When New Switch Is Pressed

HerbertBruch

Basically I would like to link together a couple of CustomButtons in Lemur and get the behavior that once one button is pressed, the button which had been previously pressed down gets automatically deselected, or in other words only having exactly one (or none) button being pressed down (and thus lit up) at any given time.
I would like to achieve this behavior for my articulation switching, so I could have a visual feedback on the screen of which articulation is currently selected. When switching articulations I obviously do not want to manually deselect the currently selected articulation, but rather want to have it deselected automatically, so I can later easily reselect that particular articulation. This is solely a visual concern as the articulation switching works without any issues nonetheless, but it does get confusing when more than one articulation is lighted up on my screen so at the moment I have all my buttons set to "Pads" so none stay lit. I hope my description makes sense.

MIDI Kinetics

I would recommend that you leave your articulation buttons as Pads.

Unless you are trying to create a bidirectional control of some kind (one that updates Lemur in realtime based on your tracks), you can never be sure that what is lit in Lemur is actually the articulation currently playing in your track. For example, you could hit "Staccato" at measure 80, and then rewind your song to the beginning where the articulation is now actually "Legato". Unless you implemented logic to deal with this, and have a robust event-chasing mechanism, it would otherwise put your control in an invalid state, showing "Staccato" when it should now be showing "Legato". Creating such a bidirectional articulation control is a non-trivial matter.

I also would caution against using toggles because you still may want to trigger another a send of "Staccato". This can't happen if the control is already toggled down. There are indeed ways around this by using multicoloured pads, with each toggle state represented by a different colour, but again, this is a non trivial matter.

So unless I'm missing something about what you want to do, I'd keep them as pads. You will have a much more useful and easier to maintain controller without any headaches or unexpected behaviours.

And not to toot our own horn or anything, but indeed we have created a controller specifically designed for such things........

Cheers.