Leave it on 25/7…?

Discussion in 'GEAR Talk Forum' started by igwanna, Oct 7, 2018.

1. babylonwaves

babylonwaves Senior Member

May 9, 2015
    I switch it off. Because I want my RAIDs to be off as well. They use far more than 3W. I didn't use to do this all but habits change and things which look strange in the first place become totally natural. Think about it.
    My 64GB template loads in 3 minutes. I need 5 to make a decent Laté.

Kony likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    igwanna

igwanna Senior Member

Sep 28, 2018
    no wait, sleep mode shuts off everytoohing except a very small electrical current that keeps the RAM alive, where the session is stored. everything else is shut off completely

3. OP
    OP
    igwanna

igwanna Senior Member

Sep 28, 2018
    just wanted to add another curious fact,

my whole studio, including 13 sets of light and led strips on all composing instruments on all monitos and computer logged on windows, monitor speakers on etc,, everything turned on on idle is running at 480W. somehow i feel thats not bad at all.

the whole studio switched off but with sum standing by equipment including pc on sleep mode is at 17W

4. onebitboy

onebitboy Member

May 13, 2018
    That kind of depends on how expensive electricity is in your location. In some parts of Western Europe, this would result in a $1400 bill each year.

5. steveo42

steveo42 Senior Member

Jan 20, 2013
    I wouldn't keep any modern tube gear on 24x7 or 25x7 lol .. It's best to turn off when not using.

Nick Batzdorf likes this.
  6. danbo

danbo Senior Member

Jun 14, 2018
    The discussion of keeping electronics on or off goes back decades, and I've been in many discussions with EE colleagues. Basic answer is nobody really knows which is better for longevity, but there are many opinions. Caveat, there are other considerations such as your power quality, if it's poor (or you have lots of electrical storms in your area) leaving it off is probably best.

Otherwise for me it's just convenience. Bringing the computer and interfaces up and down is a pain, and I get to work in small increments and bursts so I don't want to mess with small details like just getting everything going. I also have solar panels so don't care about the juice (my end of year is zero and we use a lot of power). Having said that I do have some things automatically switch off such as my keyboard and some peripherals. I leave the Mac trash can up 24/7 too, it only sips about 20W on idle.

steveo42 likes this.
  7. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    That's why God created the Sleep feature. There's no reason to turn off a computer these days, in my opinion. Do they even use 20W?

That old wives' tale about Sleep making your system unstable may have been true years ago, but I've been doing it several times a day for years with no issues.

8. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The Internet says sleeping computers use between 1W and 6W.

That's well within the BFD range.

9. danbo

danbo Senior Member

Jun 14, 2018
    Computer sleep wasn't invented by any worshiped deity, but by software developers like me. :)

I have about eight top systems in my home office I use for things from deep learning to general development, to games and composing software, and I can only reliably sleep a few of them. Mac's aren't any better, they will spontaneously wake up, and sometimes they'll get pissed and freeze when doing so. Now the Mac Pro cylinder is a good sleeper (except it not infrequently happens that on a new OS update it screws up again, until Apple fixes it six months later. Anyhow, when sleeping the cylinder composing computer there are a number of annoying glitches. One my RED4Pre comes up and always forgets what it's clock source is so I have to manually reset it to internal. Then Logic and MainStage lose their brain and fart dialog boxes warning about this or that transgression. Oh and I have 1GB/s external RAID arrays that VI's often freak out on because they haven't mounted in time on wakeup, so they'll freak and wedge.

It's annoying, I have too many computers to mess with it, at work I use as many computers daily and they all stay on 24/7 for this and other reasons. Plus IT tells us not to turn them off either. I just remembered, at work we use HP Z workstations and HP also advises to leave them off.

10. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    danbo, it's probably safe to say that you're what we in the art world call an *edge case.*

Normal man-on-the-street guys like me can safely sleep our computers at will.

I mean, every recent Mac laptop automatically sleeps when you close its lid, then wakes up when you open it.

11. danbo

danbo Senior Member

Jun 14, 2018
    I didn't say that computer sleep doesn't work for many or most people with one computer, I'm saying that it's not an old wives tale that sleep can cause issues. Even my Linux boxes, with the best kernel in the world, suffer from user space sleep issues, such as my Nvidia Titan which occasionally glitches on wakeup and screws up the desktop, so I have to reboot. Anyhow we're composers here and as I sketched out my not unusual (trash can/RED4PRE thunderbolt) setup has issues on sleeping. Maybe other people are luckier.

12. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Did too, did too!

Okay, can we at least pretend you did?

But seriously, if the RED4PRE causes problems sleeping, to me that would seem like a good thing to shout at the manufacturer about. It really shouldn't do that.

By the way, I actually do have several computers, but I sleep the two I use - Mac Pro and MacBook Air. I don't know about my Windows machines, because I've never slept them - I just shut them down, and then turn them back on months later when I need one. :)

13. tmhuud

tmhuud Brown Belt

Nov 19, 2006
    Hollywood
    I’ve had several ‘odd’ issues caused by sleep over the decades. I think I even recal a time when it wasn’t recommended to let a Mac sleep while using Logic.

14. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yes, you absolutely do recall that!

But it should be working these days. I sleep it with Logic open all the time, and I have no issues.

tmhuud likes this.
  15. Soundhound

Soundhound Senior Member

Feb 13, 2011
    I turn everything off at the end of the day/night/whenever I'm done for the day. But I've always left the speakers on, Genelec M030s. Never worried about it. Now I wonder, should those get turned off too?