What's new

LEAP motion controller update ?

I use GECO a lot, so I'm definitely interested in MidiPaw. My main concern with GECO is simply that it runs on the old Leap software so future compatibly is questionable. Similar functionality while being able to run on the current drivers sounds great.
I was using GECO with Leap Motion ver 3.xxx software, I had to upate the Leap Motion app to the latest version 4.1.0 so that midipaw will detect Leap Motion. It did not detect Leap Motion when I first ran Midipaw using the older version of Leap Motion (3.xxx) .

I use GECO a lot, so I'm definitely interested in MidiPaw. My main concern with GECO is simply that it runs on the old Leap software so future compatibly is questionable. Similar functionality while being able to run on the current drivers sounds great.
Awesome - they are def. the same in overall objective, and prob. quite similar in execution (tho Geco is cross-platform while MidiPaw is Win-only). If you do check it out I'd happily welcome any feedback given your significant leap motion experience... It currently suits me just fine, but it's 1.x release and others may have fresh/cool ideas!

Reactions: EgM
I was using GECO with Leap Motion ver 3.xxx software, I had to upate the Leap Motion app to the latest version 4.1.0 so that midipaw will detect Leap Motion. It did not detect Leap Motion when I first ran Midipaw using the older version of Leap Motion (3.xxx) .
Totally right - Leap Motion deprecated the prior C# API bindings in 4.x, so as a newbie to the game in November, I went with the latest. I know it's possible to swap drivers back and forth by just installing the one you want again, but it'd be swell if they made things a bit more backwards compatible next time.

Good Afternoon :) A little bump on an older thread as a first-time poster! I picked up a Leap Motion in November after getting the oh-so-playable Infinite Brass and Woodwinds - and while I understand Geco to be a great and popular package, I instead ended up building out my own (only for Windows) and decided to share for free at https://www.midipaw.com for anyone who would like it.

It is designed around the compositional flow of playing in a part with one hand and "leaping" with the other hand, and uses the latest (v4) leap drivers. Just another option for those who want to try their *hand* at it (groan!) ;)

My personal impression is that the hardware is alive and well and supported (and going after a focused gaming/VR kind of experience, primarily) so I feel good that hardware/drivers will evolve for a bit, and with custom software I can keep up as/if it changes. My $117 CDN investment seems safe!
This is a really excellent app, with all the control and flexibility that it has. This has made me want to get a leap controller!

Just picked up a Leap Motion controller. Started with GECO, and while it worked I had a few things that felt like they didn't operate super intuitive.

Download MidiPaw and it basically solved those issues, it's much more current feeling and easier to work with. The tracking overall is smoother (could be MidiPaw, could be the drivers, either way). Gonna highly recommend it over GECO.

My only request so far is to have numerical values displayed when you're clamping the CC range. Some instruments do specific things at different ranges so it's a bit of trial and error without the numbers. Otherwise super glad to have stumbled on this.

Just picked up a Leap Motion controller. Started with GECO, and while it worked I had a few things that felt like they didn't operate super intuitive.

Download MidiPaw and it basically solved those issues, it's much more current feeling and easier to work with. The tracking overall is smoother (could be MidiPaw, could be the drivers, either way). Gonna highly recommend it over GECO.

My only request so far is to have numerical values displayed when you're clamping the CC range. Some instruments do specific things at different ranges so it's a bit of trial and error without the numbers. Otherwise super glad to have stumbled on this.
Hi, F.M. :)

Thanks for taking MidiPaw for a test drive - so glad to hear it works for you!

Interesting suggestion about the numbers/precision on the CC values - I've popped up version 1.0.7.0 on the downloads page that now shows little numbers when you're moving any of the range/sliders in the detailed rule config. I'm sure plenty of folks would prefer it that way as well.

Cheers,
- Steve

I've been using MidiPaw the past few days for standard mod wheel duties and have no complaints so far. I like that pinch and grab motions are available -- GECO doesn't have those. One suggestion: it would be nice if MidiPaw automatically loaded the most recent state when you open the program.

Overall, I don't feel like I'm losing anything by replacing GECO with MidiPaw. Good work on this!

Good Afternoon :) A little bump on an older thread as a first-time poster! I picked up a Leap Motion in November after getting the oh-so-playable Infinite Brass and Woodwinds - and while I understand Geco to be a great and popular package, I instead ended up building out my own (only for Windows) and decided to share for free at https://www.midipaw.com for anyone who would like it.

It is designed around the compositional flow of playing in a part with one hand and "leaping" with the other hand, and uses the latest (v4) leap drivers. Just another option for those who want to try their *hand* at it (groan!) ;)

My personal impression is that the hardware is alive and well and supported (and going after a focused gaming/VR kind of experience, primarily) so I feel good that hardware/drivers will evolve for a bit, and with custom software I can keep up as/if it changes. My $117 CDN investment seems safe!
Sounds really interesting. I'm a leap motion + Geco user but i use macs. Any plans to make this available for macs in the future?

Sounds really interesting. I'm a leap motion + Geco user but i use macs. Any plans to make this available for macs in the future?
Ah, so sorry -- I know that lots of musicians are Mac folks, but I don't have any Apple equipment or expertise... which is really just the first problem... The Apple drivers over at LeapMotion didn't move off of the 2.3 version. I've seen lots of discussion of it on their forums, and there seem to be plenty of folks who would like it, but it looks like their dev priority right now is Windows.

Seems like GECO is the A#1 choice for Mac users!

Thx!

Hey Steve!@sctaylorcan
Here is definitely where I first heard about your baby!

I Highly recommend MidiPaw too.

I had forgotten my Leap Motion device for quite a long time since I purchased a TEC Breath controller 2.
I use TEC live too, this is very convenient to have both hands free in such a situation.
For composing, since head movements aren't this intuitive, I got LM out of its box and gave a try to MidiPAw.

Well, Geco works but MidiPAw does more and in a much modern way.

I like the "add gesture approach", the modern GUI and the use of the last API/Drivers allowing a few more gestures.(Grab, Pinch, speed detection)
You can have several "modules" for the same gesture and thus program several zones in the span of the selected motion.
Geco was limited by 2. Around the center, one controller for positive and one for negative motion.
Here, "dead zones" can be set. Very useful for pitch bend and precise gesture tweaking.

The "problem" with Leap Motion is that it strains the arm.

That's why I'm still using the TEC control breath controller as Expression device for intuitiveness and arm care.

Resting the left elbow on armrest and fine tuning the gesture amplitude and zones in MidiPaw, does the trick for me.

Of course, you must find the right VI capable of responding to all those events.

Aaron Venture instruments look/sound very good, but haven't try them yet.

Sample/Audio Modelling stuff are just made to be vastly controlled!

AM swam Brass and Winds kill. Strings need sonically more effort IMO but Control capacity is amazing.
SM old Kontakt brass stuff is very good too.
Chris Hein's instruments, even if they are sampled based instruments, offer a great universal interface with a lot of assignable controls. I know some in this forum dislike the overall sound of then, but they really work form me.

Remember than MidiPaw can convert motion to keyswitches for all other libraries!

This guy uses TEC+Leap Motion

SM string solo and ensemble! Wow!
Same guy, no Leap Motion here but indeed, a very controllable library.(3 videos)

All Gomez channel is about AM/SM modelling "controllable" instruments.

Cheers.

Igor

I Highly recommend MidiPaw too.

The "problem" with Leap Motion is that it strains the arm.

That's why I'm still using the TEC control breath controller as Expression device for intuitiveness and arm care.

Resting the left elbow on armrest and fine tuning the gesture amplitude and zones in MidiPaw, does the trick for me.

Aaron Venture instruments look/sound very good, but haven't try them yet.

Sample/Audio Modelling stuff are just made to be vastly controlled!
Thanks, Igor!!

(And thanks again for your time helping me work out that bug where MidiPaw wouldn't run with certain regional settings -- tricky to find!)

The Leap *does* indeed tire the arm, but you're right that smaller zones can help. I'm curious about TEC also and might grab one soon. Your sounds combining TEC and MidiPaw were quite amazing! I might try them once Aaron releases his strings some time in the March/April timeframe and I can complete my collection. But the libraries you linked in the videos look fantastic as well.

Cheers!

Hi friends :) Just a quick update for any folks following --> MidiPaw 1.1 for use with LeapMotion on Windows is up and available (free) on the MidiPaw site now. It incorporates much of the feedback from folks here (thank-you!!) and other early users, and I think it really rounds it out to a solid base.

1.1's major additions are some rest/resume features, a conditional rule capability, midi automation, and a few other useful bits!

If you take it for a spin and find any issues or have any suggestions, I'm all ears - either here or via the contact form on midipaw.com

Happy Composing!
- Steve

Last edited:

Great job!

Is this open source? Do you have a public repo?

Great job!

Is this open source? Do you have a public repo?
Hi, Pier -

Thanks, I haven't open-sourced - just me-sourced so far :) Not that I wouldn't be open to it at some point, but I wanted to land it as a fully-baked base to start. I also don't have much open-source experience, so wanted to learn a little more before inviting folks in or throwing the doors wide open.

Cheers!
- Steve

Hi, Pier -

Thanks, I haven't open-sourced - just me-sourced so far :) Not that I wouldn't be open to it at some point, but I wanted to land it as a fully-baked base to start. I also don't have much open-source experience, so wanted to learn a little more before inviting folks in or throwing the doors wide open.

Cheers!
- Steve
Honestly, as a fellow dev I was just curious to see what you used. :)

Is this a JUCE app?

Honestly, as a fellow dev I was just curious to see what you used. :)

Is this a JUCE app?
Ah! Nope, I just built from scratch with WPF / C#, used a C# binding of the Leap C SDK (gleaned from their Unity tools) and some integration to the Win low level MIDI APIs. I'd still kind of like to modernize / 64-bit-ize that last MIDI part, but it is working well, so kind of lower on the priority list!

Top Bottom