Late submission, but still a great exercise, revealing DAW experience...

pagliacci

I was too late for the competition, but I threw myself into this, as my very first full blown attempt at scoring a dramatic scene.

Cubase 8.5 Pro was an ornery cuss not accepting any tempo changes without changing the length of the video. There still might be a solution, but I haven't found it yet.

Any strategies or constructive criticism is most assuredly welcome!

guydoingmusic

Video says it is private.

I just scored a feature length film with the same DAW and never had a problem with tempo changes. That won't/shouldn't change the video length though. Can you explain a little more?

ryanstrong

Making a tempo change doesn't change the length of your video, it may appear as though it did, but in reality it changed the length of your CUE... so it made the video length look like it got shorter if you sped up your tempo or it may look like the video got longer if you slowed the tempo down.

Pretty sure I know what you mean, but I think you are looking at it the wrong way potentially.

OP
pagliacci

pagliacci

Haha, love your tag... I started by importing the Mass Effect 2 mp4 and separated the stereo audio track as a new 48kHz audio track, with the basic 120 BPM. I started adding MIDI instrument tracks, all separate instances of Kontakt 5.5.2. When it was fleshed out enough to start thinking about a written score, I changed the BPM at the top to exactly half, 60 BPM. Even though the MIDI (musical time based) and the audio (event time based) reacted correctly, the video would change it's length in relation to the BPM change. For example, my shift to an overall 60 BPM changed the length of the video exactly in half.

BTW it Cubase 8.5 Pro 64bit. Rain LIVEBOOK Pentium I5 2.6gHz 8gb RAM

Needless to say, no matter what the musical rendition of tempo is heard, the whole track end result is at 120 BPM, if you turned the metromone on. I can move the musical grid around fine, but the video still goes wacky-doodle.

Last edited:
OP
pagliacci

pagliacci

Video says it is private.

I just scored a feature length film with the same DAW and never had a problem with tempo changes. That won't/shouldn't change the video length though. Can you explain a little more?
SO solllllly... the video should be public now. Can I get a 10-4 on that?

OP
pagliacci

pagliacci

Ok so, I guess the answer is: do not put any tracks in musical mode. Thanks guys. Any creative analysis would be great on this trailer re-score. I know this tempo discussion probably is better suited for another forum.