LASS Lite legatos?

Casiquire

It has THREE legatos--legato, portamento, and glissando (no gliss on double basses) and you can control legato speed as well, just like in the full library.

Follow the link that the first reply posted and scroll all the way down to the bottom. There's a chart of all the included articulations and the ones included in Lite are blue colored.

Last edited:

jaketanner

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was wondering if this LITE version still holds it's own against the big boys of today...CSS, SCS, etc? I have both the latter BTW, but wanted to add a larger symphonic sound to my palette. Thanks.

richardt4520

I don't know about lite but i just bought the LASS Full and Sordino combo and it absolutely smokes every other string library i own in terms of realism. By far. At the sale price, i feel no buyers remorse whatsoever. I'm just getting my feet into the water and it can be a deep pool to jump into. But i am using some of the full ensemble patches for a track I'm writing due to time constraints for spiccato and a few other things, using the aa patches for legato, and sitting next to cinebrass in the track it just sounds amazingly real

jaketanner

I don't know about lite but i just bought the LASS Full and Sordino combo and it absolutely smokes every other string library i own in terms of realism. By far. At the sale price, i feel no buyers remorse whatsoever. I'm just getting my feet into the water and it can be a deep pool to jump into. But i am using some of the full ensemble patches for a track I'm writing due to time constraints for spiccato and a few other things, using the aa patches for legato, and sitting next to cinebrass in the track it just sounds amazingly real
so the ensemble patches are the same as in the lite version...may I ask what other libraries you're comparing them to? I am not looking to replace other libraries, but add a larger sized string section, and at 16 first and seconds, that's bigger than anything else I have.

richardt4520

I've been lacking in a really high quality string library so take that with a grain of salt. I thought 8Dio Adagio/Agitato/Anthology was working for me other than the jumping around in the stereo field but LASS eats it for lunch. I also have Auddict Angel String, East West Hollywood Strings, Musical Sampling Soaring/Adventure/Trailer Strings, Heavyocity Novo and the Novo packs, Embertone Intimate Strings, and Spitfire Albion 1, 2, and 4. So like I said, I have several string libraries but they just weren't on that level. The CSS, Spitfire, and Century Strings demos were good, but not what I was looking for. I was weighing between LASS Lite and Cinestrings when it goes back on sale but decided to just go ahead and buy LASS Full since I was pretty sure I'd end up buying it anyway. It's complicated but I definitely am getting everything I wanted, soundwise, from a string library.

jaketanner

I've been lacking in a really high quality string library so take that with a grain of salt. I thought 8Dio Adagio/Agitato/Anthology was working for me other than the jumping around in the stereo field but LASS eats it for lunch. I also have Auddict Angel String, East West Hollywood Strings, Musical Sampling Soaring/Adventure/Trailer Strings, Heavyocity Novo and the Novo packs, Embertone Intimate Strings, and Spitfire Albion 1, 2, and 4. So like I said, I have several string libraries but they just weren't on that level. The CSS, Spitfire, and Century Strings demos were good, but not what I was looking for. I was weighing between LASS Lite and Cinestrings when it goes back on sale but decided to just go ahead and buy LASS Full since I was pretty sure I'd end up buying it anyway. It's complicated but I definitely am getting everything I wanted, soundwise, from a string library.
That's good to know. At the moment I have a lot myself. CSS, SCS, all 8dio stuff minus Century Strings, Cinestrings, and two solo string libraries...but what got me hooked on the Audiobro sound was the NI Symphony series, believe it or not. The auto divisi and the overall sound of those strings is just awesome. The legato is a bit on the weak side, but it was a library for NI, so I will assume that Audiobro didn't go all out here, even though it's expensive as hell to buy on it's own and certainly not worth it.

What I want is a large ensemble sound. I was looking at SSS, and hoping their price would go down after this new release, but it's still up there. But with my EDU discount, I can get the SSS for roughly the same , actually about $40 cheaper than LASS. My concern is of course the age of the library. But I know that LASS 3 should be in the works and want to get ready for when it does come out...that's why I was thinking of starting with the lite version then upgrading.

BTW, does LASS full have auto divisi?

richardt4520

Oh yeah! That's what I meant by AA-AutoArranger. It has a pretty extensive auto-divisi. It has a full section of 16, half section of 8, and 2 quarter sections of 4 comprised of different players so it doesn't sound like the same section doubled, and a first chair player. The full legato doesn't have the same sound as the autodivisi sections/first chair combined, which can all play legato lines simultaneously. I don't think I'd be as happy with just the full sections because the magic seems to happen with the auto-divisi

jaketanner

Oh yeah! That's what I meant by AA-AutoArranger. It has a pretty extensive auto-divisi. It has a full section of 16, half section of 8, and 2 quarter sections of 4 comprised of different players so it doesn't sound like the same section doubled, and a first chair player. The full legato doesn't have the same sound as the autodivisi sections/first chair combined, which can all play legato lines simultaneously. I don't think I'd be as happy with just the full sections because the magic seems to happen with the auto-divisi
cool..thanks for your reply. Trying to make a decision here. :)

Casiquire

I think it's more than relevant. It's still my favorite library to use. It comes with the really deep ARC which intimidates a lot of people but you don't even need to use it, just load up a patch and play. Sounds exactly like a large ensemble in a studio.

Just keep the modwheel low!

Sears Poncho

What I want is a large ensemble sound.
It's an interesting thing, comparing numbers of players in the sample world. I don't think it translates to the "real world", maybe I'm mistaken. One reason would be the mixing board. Something like Spitfire Studio Strings has 8/6/6/6/4. If we used that at a symphony gig with full brass, string players could just stay home, won't be heard. In the sample world, just raise the fader. But also in the sample world, 16/14 violins doesn't sound "twice as big" IMO.

I've been experimenting with "First chairs" a lot. The fun part is that you're not just adding 1 more player. It's one player that can have as much volume as the entire section if you'd like.

I tried a legato cello line with Spitfire Studio Strings. Tried layering solo celli from CSSS, LASS FC and Tina Guo. CSSS blended great. LASS FC didn't really fit, would do better with short strokes I think. Tina Guo #2 made the section sound huge. Each one changed the timbre quite a bit.

Played around with Novo as well. Novo is a great package but its strength is the engine/hybrid stuff. But when first chairs are mixed with the "traditional" string patches, it sounds pretty damn good.

jaketanner

I tried a legato cello line with Spitfire Studio Strings. Tried layering solo celli from CSSS, LASS FC and Tina Guo. CSSS blended great. LASS FC didn't really fit, would do better with short strokes I think. Tina Guo #2 made the section sound huge. Each one changed the timbre quite a bit.
Thanks for the post. So do you have LASS full as comparison, or just the FC? And I get what you mean about not translating exactly...CSS is a smaller section, but can sound bigger than others. I get it's all about the recording as well and the room of course.

So I have CSS, and I also have the SF solo strings which I added in as a FC, and sounded nice because I was able to get that big Air studios ambience added in there. But the vibratos don't match well, and even if I lowered the vibrato in each, it's still not quite right, but not bad either.. LOL

I was toying with the idea of getting CSSS to add in to CSS...but the sound of LASS is pretty different than what I currently have, and they're definitely releasing LASS 3...so do I get in now for a lower upgrade path, or wait it out? Too many decisions.. LOL

Funny you mention the Studio Series...I was also looking at that as well as an alternative because of the divisi, and the possibility of creating a larger section...but not sure I'm sold on the sound as a whole just yet. I think having a variety of different spaces and string sections is better than investing on One developer, even though Studio series Oisin a different hall...it's the same engineer though, probably same equipment...not sure.

Anything you can add to sell LASS?

Sears Poncho

So do you have LASS full as comparison, or just the FC?
I only have LASS FC. Like you I was interested in the whole thing. I decided to upgrade to Studio Strings Pro. I ordered it today on a drive since my internet is slow.

I think/hope/assume the extra mics and divisi sections will help me to sculpt a better sound. In addition to adding solo players, I'm a pro violinist and add real violin and viola tracks.

jaketanner

I only have LASS FC. Like you I was interested in the whole thing. I decided to upgrade to Studio Strings Pro. I ordered it today on a drive since my internet is slow.

I think/hope/assume the extra mics and divisi sections will help me to sculpt a better sound. In addition to adding solo players, I'm a pro violinist and add real violin and viola tracks.
So you feel being a string player that SStS is better than LASS? Or you just wanted a less expensive alternative to divisi? I'm still toying with this idea of LASS full.

Sears Poncho

So you feel being a string player that SStS is better than LASS? Or you just wanted a less expensive alternative to divisi? I'm still toying with this idea of LASS full.
With the drive and the new drive I will need to buy, it wasn't less expensive. Yes, I feel it is a lot better. I don't do movie music or "epic", so take that into consideration. I like LASS and hope that v3 will be the shiznit. But I am pretty happy with Studio strings so I think the Pro will be nice. I do classical/rock hybrid stuff, so the "Studio" sound might work for me more than others, and I am thinking the extra mics are needed now.

jaketanner

With the drive and the new drive I will need to buy, it wasn't less expensive. Yes, I feel it is a lot better. I don't do movie music or "epic", so take that into consideration. I like LASS and hope that v3 will be the shiznit. But I am pretty happy with Studio strings so I think the Pro will be nice. I do classical/rock hybrid stuff, so the "Studio" sound might work for me more than others, and I am thinking the extra mics are needed now.
Damn..now YOU have me reconsidering. It's that I love SF, and used to the workflow. I love the performance legato patches (hoping they have them in Studio), and with LASS 3 definitely coming out, just not this year...but coming for sure, I don't know. My thoughts were to get a large Symphony style sound. I know SF has SSS, but I do think the divisi would come in handy for sure. In one walkthrough with Paul, I thought the Studio series sounded a bit nasal and harsh for sure...but on the other hand, I don't want to wait until Audiobro decides to release LASS 3...even though it would be an easier upgrade path (BTW they will release it with the new GUI, so it won't be compatible with LASS 2).

Does the Studio Strings sound like 56 strings?