What's new

LASS 2.5 still a good late 2018 buy?

augustfay

Hello I’m new here so sorry if I’m posting this in the wrong place, just let me know and I’ll delete it.

The title basically says it all. I’m looking for my first premium string library and my composition teacher AND my orchestration teacher have both kind of put me on to LASS. I’ve been doing extensive and obsessive online research on string libraries for the past week. I’m literally losing sleep over this as the bf deal seems to still be active (at the time of this post) and I do want to utilize it otherwise this is simply out of my budget. If the deal is still going in the morning I’ll assume it’ll be gone by Monday.

I’ve read some talk on these forums of an impending LASS 3 release, and I suppose this is what is making me the most hesitant. I don’t want to pay for a library that is many years old with a premium price tag of a “best” in class, when there is the possibility that 3 could be released immediately after. Are LASS version upgrade prices generally expensive? Or are there any specifics I should know beforehand about upgrading? I know there is no way to tell what 3 may cost but perhaps it would still be in my best interest to make this purchase now at the bf sale price and then upgrade later? Anyone care to shed some light on this? I would appreciate any advice. If I were to pull the trigger I would buy the LS bundle as well.

(Below is some more background ramblings, but nothing necessary to read in order to answer my main question!)
Initially I had planned on getting Albion One. I then realized that it was more of broad lush reverby patches and sections, not individual instruments as I had previously gathered from the “everything you need to score movies!” description. The larger premium Spitfire libraries all seem great but over a grand and too pricy for me right now. I was also considering Berlin but was turned off from their strings because of the baked reverb sound as well as some other things. VSL SE1 was another option and I like their stuff, but I thought it was too limiting with what articulations it includes, how it is kind of just a gateway into the VSL ecosystem with endless upgrades, and something I would eventually upgrade anyway. Probably better to save now and buy a premium full Vienna library one day when I can afford that without taking out a loan. I like the Friedlander Violin but already missed the sale on that. I like the ability to control vibrato. Seems like LASS doesn’t have as much control there but what can you do. SWAM also seems very cool but I don't know enough about it. CSS seems to cover some good ground that LASS doesn’t and therefore also a very good buy, but I really like the dry sounds that LASS seems to feature most and the idea of having lot of flexibility. I want that as a first big string library. I am a classical composer who is now studying scoring for media and I like to tweak things. I prefer libraries that I could build up from scratch rather than simply pressing a key to get a big pre-recorded phrase. Although I definitely would like to have some 8dios or Albions and Symphobias down the line for those modern lush sounds, it’s just not economical at all to get them now as I want to get a premium library (or two) for each section of the orchestra first. I’ve decided I want LASS a lot, unless someone can change my mind or convince me that CSS is superior… I’m really just worried about wasting money if LASS will be updated soon. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Hi there

I was in a very similar position as yours. I wanted to make sure that my purchase to 2.5 is an investment for the anticipated LASS 3. So here's what I asked Audiobro and this is how they responded. From their reply I understand that buying 2.5 shouldn't be a waste of money. I assume that there should be at least some sort of an upgrade path depending on what LASS version you own.

Would be good to hear from @Thonex as well just for more comfort.
-----------
Hi
I asked the below question to Andrew K on Vi-control forum but appreciate that he's a busy guy. So appreciate your kind advice. Also can you advise when will the spring sale will end. Thanks
"Quick question:
-Is LASS 3 gonna be a new library?
-Or is it rather an update to 2.5?

I'm just thinking if it's a good move to purchase 2.5 now that it's on sale and then upgrade to LASS 3"

Or just save for LASS 3 if it will be a new library
_________
Hello there,

I can’t share much in the way of details yet regarding a future LASS release - but there’s no reason not to purchase LASS now and make use of it in the meantime!

The Spring sale is ongoing and we haven’t announced an end date yet… but if you miss the sale feel free to shoot us an email and we’ll get you the sale price.

Hope that helps.

------------------

I’ve decided I want LASS a lot, unless someone can change my mind or convince me that CSS is superior… I’m really just worried about wasting money if LASS will be updated soon.
I don't have LASS so I have no comments about what to choose, but Audiobro probably still has the upgrade policy I believe they always had: if you upgrade to something new and better, you pay the difference in price plus a $50 upgrade fee. OTOH, if there won't be any LASS3 but a totally new product from them, I don't know how this will turn out. If you send them an email, I'm sure they can tell you what you will have to pay when LASS3 is released.

I woudn't buy it now
as groundbreaking as it was in 2010, right now theres lots of better options for the price.
it sounds really good and has that dry characted not many people offer these days, but lacks some detail of its modern competitiors. (RR count, mic positions, etc)

If you like the sound, then go for it I would say. I bought it when it was released and still is one of my favorite libraries up till today and I use CSS and Hollywood Strings beside it. CSS is great and on some occasions I use it more, but thats only because it requires that more "lush" sound.
The great thing about LASS is of course still its divisi, you get working ensemble patches, you get a bone dry library, but also some good settings to give it a colour and space. You can tweak it to your own needs in the way you set it up with the ARC. The Auto Arranger is a great tool. I love the portemento control on it. You basically get as well a solo string library with it, though I only use the viola and cello as solo instruments to be honest. I don't like the solo violin that much as solo instrument.

You can use it for so many styles. From intimate chamber music till use in trailer music and everything in between.

For me LASS has not aged. I can't remember anymore if I had to pay for an upgrade to version 2, but the fact that I don't remember says that if it was so, that it was nothing spectecular.

Buy if you like the sound! Maybe start with LASS lite though?

Btw, you really have to ride the modwheel pretty low with LASS, otherwise it will sound pretty harsh. The flip side to that is that it can cut through any mix.

I wouldn't purchase anything for a few weeks, Christmas sales are coming. I have LASS but rarely use it now. Other libraries have many more articulations which is important to me.

Buy if you like the sound! Maybe start with LASS lite though?

Btw, you really have to ride the modwheel pretty low with LASS, otherwise it will sound pretty harsh. The flip side to that is that it can cut through any mix.

LASS Lite is a toughy ….. since for me it would be strong 'stepping stone' to LASS Full 2.5. Maybe if I had more confidence it is 'solid' standalone purchase at current $209. ???

LASS 3 maybe coming, but recent Brass announcement seems to portend a more distant release ...

Would truly benefit from strong support for LASS Lite … as it is. I think it now has some limited 2.5 enhancements … yes ?

LASS Lite is a toughy ….. since for me it would be strong 'stepping stone' to LASS Full 2.5. Maybe if I had more confidence it is 'solid' standalone purchase at current $209. ???

LASS 3 maybe coming, but recent Brass announcement seems to portend a more distant release ...

Would truly benefit from strong support for LASS Lite … as it is. I think it now has some limited 2.5 enhancements … yes ?
I definitely think it's a solid choice for the current sale price. Then again, i think the most important deciding factor is if you love the sound or not.

I definitely think it's a solid choice for the current sale price. Then again, i think the most important deciding factor is if you love the sound or not.

Ha ! ..... I do like the sound .....
but for $69. more there is Genesis. (maybe I can live with the 'scattered' Strings libs I have for a bit longer ) ;) Sorry to digress ...

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies everybody! Though I am still conflicted :confused:.

Hi there

I was in a very similar position as yours. I wanted to make sure that my purchase to 2.5 is an investment for the anticipated LASS 3. So here's what I asked Audiobro and this is how they responded. From their reply I understand that buying 2.5 shouldn't be a waste of money. I assume that there should be at least some sort of an upgrade path depending on what LASS version you own.

Would be good to hear from @Thonex as well just for more comfort.
-----------
Hi
I asked the below question to Andrew K on Vi-control forum but appreciate that he's a busy guy. So appreciate your kind advice. Also can you advise when will the spring sale will end. Thanks
"Quick question:
-Is LASS 3 gonna be a new library?
-Or is it rather an update to 2.5?

I'm just thinking if it's a good move to purchase 2.5 now that it's on sale and then upgrade to LASS 3"

Or just save for LASS 3 if it will be a new library
_________
Hello there,

I can’t share much in the way of details yet regarding a future LASS release - but there’s no reason not to purchase LASS now and make use of it in the meantime!

The Spring sale is ongoing and we haven’t announced an end date yet… but if you miss the sale feel free to shoot us an email and we’ll get you the sale price.

Hope that helps.

------------------

So did you end up making the purchase? Haha. I appreciate this, you managed to ask everything I did in fewer words. I'm still seeking that extra comfort though, wish they could just give us a little more.

OTOH, if there won't be any LASS3 but a totally new product from them, I don't know how this will turn out. If you send them an email, I'm sure they can tell you what you will have to pay when LASS3 is released.

Now I'm worried about an entirely new product release haha. Perhaps I will email them directly.

I woudn't buy it now
as groundbreaking as it was in 2010, right now theres lots of better options for the price.
it sounds really good and has that dry characted not many people offer these days, but lacks some detail of its modern competitiors. (RR count, mic positions, etc)

I mean there have been some updates since the original release but yeah it makes me nervous how old it is now. If this was any other type of software there would be no question not to buy something that old, but sample libraries are a different animal.
According to you, what are some better options with the features you listed?

I wouldn't purchase anything for a few weeks, Christmas sales are coming. I have LASS but rarely use it now. Other libraries have many more articulations which is important to me.

I can't imagine that a Christmas sale would be better than the Black Friday. No?

It is one of the few libraries with distinct divisi sections in separate patches. If you want to write for strings in a realistic traditional way, LASS is the the way to go.
Aside of that I do think it holds up very well in terms of sound and articulations. the ARC is cumbersome and tedious to work with - so I have resorted to using individual patches, but other than that I think it is still great. Looking forward to LASS 3!

It is one of the few libraries with distinct divisi sections in separate patches. If you want to write for strings in a realistic traditional way, LASS is the the way to go.
Aside of that I do think it holds up very well in terms of sound and articulations. the ARC is cumbersome and tedious to work with - so I have resorted to using individual patches, but other than that I think it is still great. Looking forward to LASS 3!

I feel the same way. I straight up can not write for strings effectively if I can't do true divisi. LASS is always the basis, and other libraries are used to beef up the sound as needed (except for rare times when a particular library's sound is really really needed).

And yeah, not a fan of ARC, but then again I've never been a fan of keyswitches or anything. Individual patches is always the preferred way to go, especially for LASS.

I feel the same way. I straight up can not write for strings effectively if I can't do true divisi. LASS is always the basis, and other libraries are used to beef up the sound as needed (except for rare times when a particular library's sound is really really needed).

And yeah, not a fan of ARC, but then again I've never been a fan of keyswitches or anything. Individual patches is always the preferred way to go, especially for LASS.

Absolutely KNOW I don't get DIVISI with LASS Lite, but assume I can get a true experience of 'individual patches' as you emphasize ?

Last edited:
Yes. Yes. It's so worth it. It's one of the only libraries with that type of divisi and it has character without being overwhelming. I don't think age has as much to do with the modern class of libraries. If they're well programmed, there have been very few revolutionary advancements in ensemble libraries for like a decade now.

It's been my main library for ages and I can't see that changing, so I'll always give buying LASS an emphatic yes. However, I tend to be the black sheep on that one, so take that with a grain of salt.

Huh. I'm pretty sure we're friends now lol!

I picked up LASS Lite for my first "serious" string library for Black Friday last week. I'm by no means an expert, but here's a few thoughts...

- First and foremost, it's been a really long time since I enjoyed a new plugin/instrument this much. That's a very subjective evaluation, and your milage may vary, etc, but I've found it really easy to get lost in this.

- I wanted a "bread and butter" library that could handle general string duties. Not a ton of exotic articulations, it's true, but the sound across different articulations and instruments is very consistent.

- I have a really old computer, so I was looking for libraries with reasonably small footprints. I've had no trouble at all running multiple instances for different orchestral sections; it seems super efficient.

- The ostinato/sequencer programmer and velocity attenuator is ridiculously fun, and more importantly sounds great.

- There's a lot more to it than is initially apparent: the sustained articulations have a lot of options for different legato transitions (and it can get very fast, if need be), crossfading from vibrato to no vibrato, using CC's to fine-tune the length of staccato and spiccato, detailed maps for altering tuning, etc.

- I personally really like the dry sound, and I've had great results using third-party reverbs like Space Designer or Valhalla to get more ambience and lushness happening. Do spend some time checking out walkthroughs on YouTube, however, because the core sound you hear there is what you're going to get.

Again, YMMV etc, but I've been really happy with the purchase since I made it. My upgrading to LASS Full will depend on budget, actual need, etc... but in the meantime, I'm really delighted with it. :)

I picked up LASS Lite for my first "serious" string library for Black Friday last week. I'm by no means an expert, but here's a few thoughts... ***********-

- There's a lot more to it than is initially apparent: the sustained articulations have a lot of options for different legato transitions (and it can get very fast, if need be), crossfading from vibrato to no vibrato, using CC's to fine-tune the length of staccato and spiccato, detailed maps for altering tuning, etc.

- I personally really like the dry sound, and I've had great results using third-party reverbs like Space Designer or Valhalla to get more ambience and lushness happening. Do spend some time checking out walkthroughs on YouTube, however, because the core sound you hear there is what you're going to get.

Again, YMMV etc, but I've been really happy with the purchase since I made it. My upgrading to LASS Full will depend on budget, actual need, etc... but in the meantime, I'm really delighted with it. :)

Thanks for focused Post which hit many key points for personal interests.
I will recheck YouTube again, as earlier choices had other instruments and were not as helpful as hoped …..

Regards

Last edited:
If you are a composer that is writing more than spiccatos and long notes on strings you can't go wrong with LASS.
It is not a library designed to sound lyrical but it is great for fast and aggressive passages.
It is the oldest string library in my template and it will remain there for a very long time I guess.
I just wouldn't buy the lite version. Go full and get all the benefits it offers.

Top Bottom