Large tablet/touchscreen MIDI controller options?

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by pmountford, May 28, 2015.

1. Waywyn

Waywyn Senior Member

Yes I thought so, but what is that post about from Wexberg then?

2. samphony

samphony Senior Member

Nov 19, 2013
    What driver did you install to support that screen?

I think the screen has huge input lag how do you work around that?

3. It was a touch-base driver. I can do multi touch using it. The lag is actually mostly from Logic's side - perhaps because of the project size. Clicking on buttons/tabs is a bit laggy to start with, and the touchscreen only adds maybe 15-30ms on top.

Incidentally, I just bought an iPad for the main reason of using logic remote after struggling to setup reliable key command buttons in TouchOSC/Android. I've only used it for a few hours so far but it's clearly going to be a huge productivity boost and time saver.

4. samphony

samphony Senior Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Yea I use logic remote for the same reason.

5. Hey everyone,
    Needing some help here with regards to Lemur on a Android TV Box with a Hanns-G HT225 touchscreen.
    iPad is becoming frustrating due to the lack of screen space. So I have decided to go the extra mile(s) and try the touchscreen route.

Touchscreen works fine and I'm using an NVIDIA Shield TV Android box. KODI etc all install fine, but it seems Google Play won't let Lemur install from the Google Play site (or direct from Liine's site).
    Has anyone else run in to this issue? Has anyone any suggestions as to how I can get it installed on the Shield TV box? I am wondering if there is a work around to fool Google Play in to thinking that the Shield TV Box can install Lemur?

Thanks,
    Jon

6. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Jon, I was just wondering if you got Lemur and a TV box to work and if so, could you recommend me a TV Box? I’m eager to try Lemur out with a 27 inch Touch screen.

Thanks!

7. Yep - I have Lemur running on an NVIDIA SHIELD Smart TV with Hanns-G touchscreen. The Lemur editor is a bit temperamental as it corrupts its windows graphics alot of the time and then crashes - but not a show stopper. It would probably work with a cheaper Smart TV box though I've never tried that.

Jon

8. Has anyone using an android box and touch screen found a way not have to keep unplugging and replugging the usb cable to keep the multi touch function alive ?

An app or physical usb switch ?

9. No sorry - we haven't had that problem. Touchscreen is always active except when the screen goes to sleep which is set at 30 minutes in my case, but it always wakes up instantly when its touched and works fine. Maybe try a different USB cable.

topaz likes this.
  10. ThomasL

ThomasL Senior Member

Running a 22" Dell multi touch monitor (with drivers from Touch Base) on my Mac. Since Studio One has a TUIO server built in I'm in like heaven. Coupled with a Console 1 and a Faderport Classic I think my setup is complete.

11. ThomasL

ThomasL Senior Member

And now!

Greatest touch controller ever! Dell multi-touch monitor running my own coded "remote control" via Chrome and Webmidi.js.

Instant access to all orchestral libraries key switches, a CC#2 and CC#1 X/Y pad and even all of my Roland JV-2080 synth patches (hit record, press a button and the program change gets recorded) :)

20190110_001723.jpg 20190110_001732.jpg 20190110_001743.jpg

12. Nice !!! I wonder how this setup compares to a Liine Lemur setup?
    I guess you just need to organise your desk now :)

13. ThomasL

ThomasL Senior Member

Coding in Liine's editor sucks. It's very buggy and don't support a multiple monitor setup at all (on desktop that is).

My desk is *very* organized, the Dell is on a Vesa arm so I just tilt it upwards when I need all keys. I'll post a pic in a bit...

14. ThomasL

ThomasL Senior Member

15. samphony

samphony Senior Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Does the web api allow to send key commands as well? Do you use a WYSIWYG editor to create your layout?

What about latency?

16. ThomasL

ThomasL Senior Member

Layout is code only, no GUI editor. Everything is on one page and the menu is simply hiding/showing different DIVs so it's much easier to do it all in code.

No noticeable latency since it's only key switches and some MIDI CC's. People have been building whole synths, sequencers and whatnot on the platform so I guess it's as good as regular MIDI. The touch screen itself has a bit of latency when dealing with web browsers but not so much that I've been bothered by it yet.

No key commands, for that I've got this "prototype" for MIDI editing, planning on adding a second for audio editing :)

20181230_211811.jpg

17. Havoc911

Havoc911 Member

Oct 15, 2017
    An Acer 27" touch screen and Dtouch from Devil Technologies or the CPU bundle from 14bitMIDI both work very well.