What's new

LA Scoring Strings 3

As a LASS 2.5 and Legato Sordino owner I purchased the (in my opinion slightly overpriced loyalty) upgrade to LASS 3. I have held off downloading for the moment because past experience has me expecting some bugs in a product so early in its release.

Is my cautious attitude warranted or are there no known issues? (I began reading this thread a couple of weeks back and seem to recall the mention of a glitch or two, which may or may not have been sorted).

As a LASS 2.5 and Legato Sordino owner I purchased the (in my opinion slightly overpriced loyalty) upgrade to LASS 3. I have held off downloading for the moment because past experience has me expecting some bugs in a product so early in its release.

Is my cautious attitude warranted or are there no known issues? (I began reading this thread a couple of weeks back and seem to recall the mention of a glitch or two, which may or may not have been sorted).
To my knowledge, only a small handful of glitches were reported and all of those have since been fixed with some quick updates. I haven’t noticed anyone note any big issues, especially since, so you’re probably in the clear. 👍🏻

It's worth noting that the new interface has been used in three previous libraries. It's no longer untested territory. You might expect there to be bugs in the conversation and editing of the samples for the new player but those are the easiest kinds of bugs to fix. And audiobro has a fantastic track record too

(in my opinion slightly overpriced loyalty)
One thing to keep in mind depending on how long you've been involved with Kontakt is that LASS's 2009 debut price was either $1500 or 2k? (I honestly don't remember outside of doing some assistant work for a composer who bought it at retail at the time)....

For sure prices have shifted over the years, but hopefully that's at least worth some perspective.... Not to mention that AB really are incredibly consistent, something that IMO is worth paying a little extra for...

I’ll be honest, I’m a little surprised at how many people say the upgrade price is more expensive than they expected. Considering that LASS has been consistently priced at over a thousand bucks for the last decade – it was $1,200 just a few years ago when I bought it – I’d say that $99 or $129 (depending on whether you have LASS+LS or just LASS) for the full LASS 3 package actually seems extremely cheap to me; I was expecting at least $200-300 to upgrade before pricing was announced, based on the LASS 2.5 pricing and what I’ve seen from other library developers. If anything, I’d argue that Audiobro is bending over backwards lately to make their products super-affordable, considering the sheer size (in amount of content/articulations) and quality of the library.

I don’t mean for this to sound critical or anything; everyone’s financial situation is different. But even speaking as someone who couldn’t afford to buy the library again at the moment, it’s such a huge drop from the regular price that it feels totally fair to me. But of course, YMMV.

I’ll be honest, I’m a little surprised at how many people say the upgrade price is more expensive than they expected. Considering that LASS has been consistently priced at over a thousand bucks for the last decade – it was $1,200 just a few years ago when I bought it – I’d say that $99 or $129 (depending on whether you have LASS+LS or just LASS) for the full LASS 3 package actually seems extremely cheap to me; I was expecting at least $200-300 to upgrade before pricing was announced,
You can have a brand new string library from Sonokinetics for 200 euros right now. You can have a great and brand new brass, ww or Strings library fron CS for $279 if you own any of their libraries (except the piano). etc. So looking at it this way it's not cheap. And that's how a consumer should look at it imo.

I also disagree that it's overpriced. It's cheaper than VSL is asking for me to upgrade to Synchronized libraries. We've already had some good free updates over the years.
Everything is cheaper than VSL... And yes we did have good free updates. I'll be a little pissed if i have to pat more $100.

Ok so I quickly skimmed about 10 pages of posts — blurgh.

Is there anything you want to hear that you have not heard that could be done quickly and simply to show you what LASS 3 sounds like?
Clear and isolated example the of the legato speed control whithin each category(legato, portamento etc). And a mix of sordinos and none sordinos.

Reactions: Noc
Ok so I quickly skimmed about 10 pages of posts — blurgh.

Is there anything you want to hear that you have not heard that could be done quickly and simply to show you what LASS 3 sounds like?
One thing that I'm curious to hear, is a bending with the strings. CSS can't do it which is a big shame and limitation in my opinion. I was looking at LASS with the detune option to bend (ala The Beast from Scicario) the strings, not just doing aleatoric stuff. I do have Genesis and did try it with it, and the result is not that convincing, but then it's voices samples which is quite different than strings. Still have to find a nice quality string lib that is flexible on that front.

Just a couple of observations from a bystander.

The pricing will always be a subject for debate. Only you can determine if the expense is appropriate for you.

If you used LASS in the past and never got the sound you wanted, this version won't change your perception.
If you used LASS in the past and never got comfortable with the A.R.C., this version will change your perception.

I always found the sound and the legatos to my liking. I did sometimes struggle with the A.R.C. to get it to fit with my workflow.

LASS 3 fixed that.

My old friend got prettier and smarter. How often does that happen?

Best 99 bucks I ever spent. (except for that one time in mexico)

One thing that I'm curious to hear, is a bending with the strings. CSS can't do it which is a big shame and limitation in my opinion. I was looking at LASS with the detune option to bend (ala The Beast from Scicario) the strings, not just doing aleatoric stuff. I do have Genesis and did try it with it, and the result is not that convincing, but then it's voices samples which is quite different than strings. Still have to find a nice quality string lib that is flexible on that front.
It's not particularly difficult to get "close" ... I mean the subtlety to achieve the precise effect seems more in the delay and filtering (and possibly saturation) as well as the stereo field and subtle variations, than the source material (the strings "bend").

I could probably do the exact same thing with any strings sustain and an audio effect like Waves SoundShifter (automate the big slider on the right).

soundshifter-pitch.jpg

Top Bottom