What's new

LA Modern Percussion - The update is finally here!

Hey people,

If you're thinking at all about getting this library, then this would be the time to do it.

It really is magnificent.

We're in a period of too many 'Me Too' libraries. Most have only a difference without a distinction. Not so with this one...

LAMP has the amazing quality of having so many sonic and musical identities. Every thing I've done with it sounds entirely different from anything else I've used it on. The included presets are worth the price alone. Getting the upcoming free update of the sequencer, more multis and MIDI grooves will only increase its value.

But don't worry, it'll still be worth it at $499.

Yup, there are three categories of libraries.... libraries you wish you could sell back to the developer, libraries that you just have lying around and occasionally use, and libraries that would be in your "desert island collection" for the particular instrument they're sampling. For me LAMP is a Category #3 Library for sure. YMMV.

There is no pdf . You must view the walkthrough on their site where they explain everything.
i'm mostly interested in learning what the abbreviations for the individual mics stand for.

STLF/STRF (Stereo left/right front)?
STLR/STRR (Stereo left/right rear)?
OH (Overhead I guess)?
MR / RM ?
WD (Wide I guess)?
AM ?

i'm mostly interested in learning what the abbreviations for the individual mics stand for.

STLF/STRF (Stereo left/right front)?
STLR/STRR (Stereo left/right rear)?
OH (Overhead I guess)?
MR / RM ?
WD (Wide I guess)?
AM ?

Hi! Sorry for not getting back to you sooner through email.

We had 4 identical stations for each of the players at the sessions.

STLF - Stage Left Front - Close mic array
STRF - Stage Right Front - Close mic array
STLR - Stage Left Rear - Close mic array
STRR - Stage Right Rear - Close mic array

OH - Overheads
MR - Mid Room
RM - Room - Decca Tree
WD - Wides
AM - Ambients

Also, if you click the info button on the top right of the UI it will give you all of the information for each page including the mic names.

Cheers!

Ollie

Yes, I hear the introductory price is over...

But if you need or just want the coolest epic percussion library I would wager that the regular price is still a value.

Here's an unsolicited very short piece with LAMP ONLY. No other libraries or sounds used. Any tonal stuff you might hear is me playing with the various pad multis.

There is so much material in the library that it might take a while to ferret your way though it. I feel like I'm only now beginning to get a good grasp on it.

Last edited:
Yes, I hear the introductory price is over...

But if you need or just want the coolest epic percussion library I would wager that the regular price is still a value.

Here's an unsolicited very short piece with LAMP ONLY. No other libraries or sounds used. Any tonal stuff you might hear is me playing with the various pad multis.

There is so much material in the library that it might take a while to ferret your way though it. I feel like I'm only now beginning to get a good grasp on it.

Hi Jack.Great Demo piece. Might you be able to share which sounds you used on this track ? Is this all the out of the box sounds, or did you make some adjustments ? Cheers

my biggest issue is that they dont have a complete non pitch percussion library

expansion please!

although I wouldn't complain if you brought the crew back to sample timpani

not sure the approach would work as well for pitched perc like xylophone ect that idiomatically play repetitions at the same dynamic.

I dont do epic, but this will make nice resource friendly substitutes for the handful I can use - without sacrificing any audio quality

Last edited:
Might you be able to share which sounds you used on this track ? Is this all the out of the box sounds, or did you make some adjustments ?
GingerMaestro – OK, you asked…

Note: I used the presets throughout – and panning of mics where necessary.

It starts out with an AudioOllie multi – Just Sticks & Shakers.

The multi – Emotional Pad then comes in with a plugin called Gatekeeper making it do a rhythm.

Then there is a 2 bar fill @ 12 sec. with a custom multi of Daiko 2 Sl Dynamic Hits & Bass Drum Ens – Puilli – Dynamic.

@ 16 sec. there is a short lick with cymbal & Rototom 5 Sl – Hard – Dynamic. (Note that since there is no choke cymbal yet, I had go to the Modulation page and automate the LP cutoff and Decay in the AHDSR. It's a good technique you will want to use throughout the library if you want to control the release of some of the bigger hits.)

@ 18 sec. Low Multi Rototom Sl – Hard –Fills

@ 20 sec. Woosh 7 is the big low end hit.

@ 24 sec. All Toms & Bass Drums Ens – Standard

@ 28 sec. another Emotional Pad – using Logic’s Ensemble plugin.

@ 34 sec. Shaker Ens – Hard – Traditional Hits

@ 38-51 secs –Downers multi (3 different ones - recorded, lengths changed via Flex Time to fit the compositional needs.)

@ 41 sec. tom Ens – Hard – Dynamic Hits (This is a technique I use often to create intro ruffs. I take my left hand and use my thumbnail to do a quick roll from left to right thru all the dynamic layers on the white keys. It takes about 2 seconds and sounds great. It's my version of copying the way rolls are done in Strike Force - except this is much faster. )

@ 52 sec. I use two multis simultaneously for the giant drum ensemble sounds – Ollie’s favorite – Krypton Ensemble Multi & Bright Taikos. I let it ring out for effect. It's hard to imagine a bigger drum sound.

@ 1:02, I alternate between the two above multis.

@ 56 sec. another Emotional Pad multi – this time tuned up an octave and using Logic’s Step FX & Chorus.

@ 1:00, I returned to the multi I started with - Just Sticks & Shakers.

That little effect at the end was simply taking the last note of Just Sticks & Shakers and putting into Comet Reverb using a preset called Clear Glass. I did that also @ 30 sec.

I'm working on another one incorporating a single tonal library - Cinematic Studio Brass. I'll see if I can wedge in the time in the next couple days to finish it.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks Jack
I bought this library, but haven’t had time to explore it properly yet as I am on a bit of a tight schedule to get some tracks arranged. This is really useful to hear how other folks are using this...really good use of the library..thank you

Hy Audio Ollie.

Can you tell us if you are working on the announced update with pattern sequencer and so on ?
Thanks.
Still my best percussion library.
Made so many multis and sound design stuff. Great product.
And now you announce strings !!! Fantastic.

Hy Audio Ollie.

Can you tell us if you are working on the announced update with pattern sequencer and so on ?
Thanks.
Still my best percussion library.
Made so many multis and sound design stuff. Great product.
And now you announce strings !!! Fantastic.

Yes we are! Already in the works. It's going to be a complicated update based on the variety of patch types and how they were specifically programmed but we're making progress. Will make an announcement when the update is out.

Strings are coming along nicely as well! Thanks for your continued enthusiasm for our projects.

Yes we are! Already in the works. It's going to be a complicated update based on the variety of patch types and how they were specifically programmed but we're making progress. Will make an announcement when the update is out.

Strings are coming along nicely as well! Thanks for your continued enthusiasm for our projects.
Thank you very much. Great news. Great libraries !

Some time ago, I have already purchased this sound library. If there is an update, please let me know! Thank you

Heres a question, I'm not sure if I miss something:

The instruments which layout the different dynamic layers on the keyboard exclusively use the white keys. That in itself is totally fine. but when i want to change the dynamic later, i cannot simply grab the note(s) and move it down. instead I have to move the notes down and make sure that I land on a white key, otherwise the note be muted. Now, if you take a cluster of notes (a rhythm) and you want e.g. lower the dynamic a bit, you need to go through all the notes and make sure that they still play.

what's the reason behind the decision of only using white keys and is there a workaround for the scenario above? In Strikeforce for instance, they use chromatic notes which seems more practical.

Yes, I found that inconvenient immediately, so I'm using the velocity-keys setup that's on the C & D an octave above the white-key layout. It's like a typical velocity-based patch except each velocity has exactly one round robin.

Top Bottom