1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Koto 13

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Mr. Edinburgh, Sep 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mr. Edinburgh

Mr. Edinburgh Member

Apr 4, 2018
  2. Zee

Zee Member

Jan 2, 2018
    I believe it's the best on the market but i rarely get to use it

Niah2 and Mr. Edinburgh like this.
  3. Sid Francis

Sid Francis Senior Member

Feb 4, 2011
    near Cologne/ Germany
    Very impressed by the audio demos. Listen to the first one!

4. axb312

axb312 Senior Member

Jun 26, 2016
    A similar instrument you could check out is the Guzheng from the Evolution world series. Pretty extensively sampled and 30-40 % off during sales.

5. Sid Francis

Sid Francis Senior Member

Feb 4, 2011
    near Cologne/ Germany
    I got three Guzhengs and they are quite different in sound and appeal. I would prefer this one here before all others...but not for this price
    :-(

6. Lode_Runner

Lode_Runner Senior Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Wow Koto 13 sounds beautiful.

Another much more affordable Koto option is available from Premier SoundFactory: http://www.premiersoundfactory.com/kaguya/ (you need to scroll down the page. When I first loaded it, all I could see was the picture and white space beneath it - the page looked like it was just a jpg, so I didn't even think of scrolling :blush:)

And Impact Soundworks also have Koto Nation.

As Sid said Guzhengs sound fairly different. The one from Evolution Series is very nice. SonicCouture also have one, and so do Best Service. There's also a Dan Tranh from Bolder Sounds (another related instrument from Vietnam) lovely, but once again it's a different sound.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  7. LamaRose

LamaRose Gato Mighty!

Oct 26, 2015
    Talk about authentic sounding. @Zee Wondering if it's possible to emulate a realistic bass koto with the built-in tone/scale functions? I realize the issue with 13 versus 17 strings, so I'm really asking about the tone.

8. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    Another product done by yours truly (TM). :)

I also think they are charging too much for it, so Kaguya would also definitely be worth checking out - it does sound wonderful as well. Both come from Japanese developers, so they should know about authenticity :)

9. OP
    OP
    Mr. Edinburgh

Mr. Edinburgh Member

Apr 4, 2018

Thanks for this link my friend - this koto looks really nice - are you satisfied with it - is t a safe website to but from?

10. Fab

Fab Senior Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Ha, that's pretty cool. Do you help out with a lot of their stuff?

11. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    Nope, I just did that one back when I worked with Umlaut Audio (Sonica contacted them for library building expertise).

SoNowWhat? likes this.
  12. Zee

Zee Member

Jan 2, 2018
    I think their Octave down option is brilliant while it only works with their predetermined set of scales(24) you also get to choose the key. to answer your question about the tone personally, I think it comes very close to what a 17 strings can do in terms of consistency across all articulations as well that being said the lowest I was able to get was A1 so getting that open string low sustained sound that a 17 strings excels at isn't as good with this one

LamaRose likes this.
  13. LamaRose

LamaRose Gato Mighty!

Oct 26, 2015
    +1 @EvilDragon & @Zee for the info! The Kaguya looks like a winner, but it's 96kHz and I'm full-time laptop. Maybe they can provide a down sampled version.

14. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    Shouldn't be a problem if it's 96k... Kontakt resamples in realtime, plus koto isn't terribly polyphony hungry... you should be fine even on a laptop. It's 5 GB, which again isn't terrible.

LamaRose likes this.
  15. Lode_Runner

Lode_Runner Senior Member

Feb 5, 2014
    I haven't bought it yet, it's on my black friday wish list. I haven't heard anything negative about the company.

16. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    I don't think the sonica Koto 13 is all that expensive, considering what you get. People pay a lot for guitar or harp sample sets.

Not a freebie either! But it looks very good.

heisenberg and LamaRose like this.
  17. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    As it turns out I have a project coming up and I'll want one of these. Deciding between Koto 13 and the Kayuga, if anyone feels like weighing in.

It looks as though Koto 13 has three independent mic positions, plus a stereo mix, so that's a pretty big plus. On the other hand, the Kayuga includes a non-traditional bass Koto, and I like those kinds of "extensions" of traditional instruments.

Honestly it's amazing what choices and sounds we have these days.

18. heisenberg

heisenberg Senior Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Hi John,

I have Kaguya. Sound is remarkable. You really have to know how to play a Koto with Kaguya bouncing back & forth through keyswitching to get any articulation beyond the straight playing unaffected notes. No hand holding. It is roll up your sleeves and invest the time to learn how to really play it. Have a careful look at this video. It may give you a sense of what I am talking about...

From what I can gather from the Koto 13 there is a more of a stacking of standard articulations without as much keyswitching and utilizing key pressure for typical expression.

Looks like I will be picking up the Koto 13.

As has been mentioned, Soniccouture's Guzheng, the Chinese equivalent instrument is a joy to play and you can easily flip it into proper tuning, if that is your desire. But I imagine authenticity is paramount with your needs.

-Andrew

Reason for edit: spelling

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018 at 11:32 AM
    JohnG likes this.
  19. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    Thanks @heisenberg -- very helpful.

So far, I'm preferring the sound of the Koto 13, so that's probably going to be the decision.

Yes, you would think authenticity would be number one, but actually -- not as much as I would have assumed.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018 at 10:52 AM
  20. garyhiebner

garyhiebner Senior Member

Jan 3, 2015
    Koto 13 sounds amazing. Pity the price is pretty high.