Kontakt spikes in VE Pro

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by bryla, Sep 19, 2018.

1. bryla

bryla Senior Member

Aug 16, 2006
    EDIT (new question): I'm also using VE Pro to host reverb sends. However the returns in to Logic have a lot of latency. What could cause this and how do I fix this?

Recently my Kontakt Disk meter is spiking when instantiated in VE Pro connected to Logic. The Logic CPU/HD meter barely shows activity but each instance of Kontakt that is loaded in VE is quickly reaching 100% on Disk – not that much on CPU though.

I suspect it has something to do with the fact, that my Kontakt Memory Server is only 2.5GB (it used to be around 6GB when fully loaded).

Does anyone know how to balance it out? I've tried reloading the samples but it doesn't help.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  2. OP
    OP
    bryla

bryla Senior Member

Aug 16, 2006
    On several restarts the Kontakt Memory Server is finally filling up but I'm still getting the Disk Spikes.

When bouncing the music everything sounds fine.

3. OP
    OP
    bryla

bryla Senior Member

Aug 16, 2006
  4. Garlu

Garlu Senior Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Valencia, Spain
    Do you have a lot of tempo ramps? That might cause it.

I'd recommend to turn off the tempo sync option for instances they don't require any tempo information. That might help! :)

fixxer49 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    bryla

bryla Senior Member

Aug 16, 2006
    No tempo ramps. Do you mean to turn of the 'Ext' in each Kontakt instance, that doesn't use runs for example?

6. OP
    OP
    bryla

bryla Senior Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I'm also using VE Pro to host reverb sends. However the returns in to Logic have a lot of latency. What could cause this and how do I fix this?

7. Garlu

Garlu Senior Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Valencia, Spain
    Yes, that's what I meant (sorry I didn't have kontakt opened in front of me). So, yes, turn off "Ext". :)

8. OP
    OP
    bryla

bryla Senior Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Thank you, Garlu, that helped!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  9. OP
    OP
    bryla

bryla Senior Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I'm also using VE Pro to host reverb sends. However the returns in to Logic have a lot of latency. What could cause this and how do I fix this?

10. NYC Composer

NYC Composer Senior Member

Jul 24, 2008
  11. jcrosby

jcrosby Senior Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Boston MA
    All plugins typically add some kind of latency, even if tiny... (At least as far as I'm aware...)

That said reverbs often have low latency, unless convolution... Are you using IRs on your sends?
    (Case in point would be Waves IR-1 vs IR-1 L...)

Anything else running as a parallel effect on a send, e.g. a wet dry chain you might be using to beef up a mix?

Have you tried Kontakt with memory server off? Or playing with the preload buffer size?

Counterintuitive as it sounds, I always found Memory Server to have a tipping point. Plus you have to realize, (if not already aware...), that all machines write some kind of virtual memory to disk... (E.g. requiring disk IOs)... Despite many people thinking this is some kind of antiquated technology, or page files somehow magically disappeared with SSDs, virtual memory is still very much in play regardless of OS...
    (FYI I'm on macOS and Logic, for whatever reason I find a fair amount of mac users think page/swap files are somehow a windows thing... Nope... macOS's sleep is more or less a swap file.)

So for example, if running your machine with RAM nearly filled up you can pretty much bet the house on your machine trying to write an aggressive amount of virtual memory to disk, which translates to heavy reads/writes...

If you have a small amount of RAM than the real issue is a lack of memory, an unfortunate fact of life with Kontakt...

Additional Latency however has to do with a plugin's requirements... Although some introduce very little latency others don't, and it varies from plugin to plugin, developer to developer...

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 2:53 AM