What's new

Kontakt Multi with KS Router in Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 to Ableton Live 11 via KeySwitch & Expression Map (Max for Live device)

norberto

Hello everyone,

Seems a neat idea for resource management:
1) make several Kontakt-Multis from single-articulation patches per instrument group in one instance of Vienna Ensemble Pro
2) bundle outputs of the patches contained in each multi with the KS Router into one channel
3) at the other end (in Ableton) "convert" the patches of the respective multi with the "KeySwitch & Expression Map" (Max device) into keyswitch automation

So far I can make this work for only one Kontakt Multi from inside each VEP7 instance: the Piccolo & Horn 1 in the screen recording: VEP7 Kontakt Multi KS Router KS-ExprMap
The 2nd Kontakt multi of the 1st VEP instance doesn't react to the Max device: Flute 1 stays on articulation/channel 2 & ignores automation.

I guess I miss something with the routing. Is it the alleged lack of handling more than one MIDI-port in Ableton? Channels from 17 up are not available...
What else can you think of??

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Seems a neat idea for resource management:
1) make several Kontakt-Multis from single-articulation patches per instrument group in one instance of Vienna Ensemble Pro
2) bundle outputs of the patches contained in each multi with the KS Router into one channel
3) at the other end (in Ableton) "convert" the patches of the respective multi with the "KeySwitch & Expression Map" (Max device) into keyswitch automation

So far I can make this work for only one Kontakt Multi from inside each VEP7 instance: the Piccolo & Horn 1 in the screen recording: VEP7 Kontakt Multi KS Router KS-ExprMap
The 2nd Kontakt multi of the 1st VEP instance doesn't react to the Max device: Flute 1 stays on articulation/channel 2 & ignores automation.

I guess I miss something with the routing. Is it the alleged lack of handling more than one MIDI-port in Ableton? Channels from 17 up are not available...
What else can you think of??
Each Kontakt Multi needs the KS Router in a different slot.

Hi Norbeto,

Responding to you here now... The VSL forum has very limited formatting options.

I experimented with KS Router and I also can't seem to get it to go past the 16 channel barrier. Their KSP code is password protected, so I can't really comment beyond that.

Anyway, I got carried away and learned a little KSP today, so here is a Kontakt Multiscript to use instead of KS Router, it has a small GUI to choose which Mode of operation you want to use:

kschannelizergui.jpg

3 modes of operation, take your pick:
  1. By Velocity - Use the GUI to specify a keyswitch pitch to use, channel is indicated by velocity 1-64

2. By Pitch - Use GUI to specify starting pitch, channel is indicated by consecutive pitches up from that starting pitch

3. By Program - ProgramChange messages will be used #1-64

Obtain KSP script here: https://gitlab.com/dewdman42/kprouter/-/blob/master/kschannelizer.ksp

- The Nerd

Last edited:
Top Bottom