Kontakt Library recommendation for scoring Animated Series

JaikumarS

I'm looking for Kontakt libraries other than the Project SAM's Swing, Swing More and Colours Animator for scoring animated series.

Many of the Series already have used these libraries and overall sound of these shows have become too repetitive, and one cannot differentiate between the shows unless he/she hears the main theme of the shows.

Thank you

kurtvanzo

Capt. Zorro
What style of music are you planning on writing for it? Music for animation can be anything these days from Orchestral to Jazz to Pop. Few libraries are made specifically for animation besdes the ones you mention, so perhaps mentioning the instrumentation you're planning on using will help steer the suggestions.

OP
JaikumarS

JaikumarS

What style of music are you planning on writing for it? Music for animation can be anything these days from Orchestral to Jazz to Pop. Few libraries are made specifically for animation besdes the ones you mention, so perhaps mentioning the instrumentation you're planning on using will help steer the suggestions.
Mickey Mouse show by Disney - - Music by Christopher Willis is the reference given to me apart from the Tom and Jerry Show .

Last edited:

DSmolken

Just the first minute includes a pretty broad range of styles, so you'll probably need a decent orchestra, maybe a dedicated strings library. And 70s funk guitar - but you could probably get close enough with some of the guitars you already have and a free envelope-following filter (autowah) effect. So, I'd focus on strings first, not-too-epic complete orchestra second, good piano third. If you feel the horns you have are already overused, look at Impact Soundworks Straight Ahead Jazz Horns.

You could also look into some inexpensive libraries which don't really have the detail level to be convincing for long complex pieces, but for short incidental bits they excel at capturing certain vibes. Big Fish Audio Grindhouse might or might not be useful, I haven't tried it, but I'd take a look at it if I had to make scores which feature several cliches from older movie styles. The new Indignus retro horns might also fall into this category.

kurtvanzo

Capt. Zorro
Mickey Mouse show by Disney - - Music by Christopher Willis is the reference given to me apart from the Tom and Jerry Show .
Wow. Micky Mouse by John Kricfalusi (Ren and Stimpy). Very cool, but don't know how you do this much work without real players. You would need a few weeks each short episode with many, many libraries (Including the PS libs you mentioned) Or write it out and hand it to great players.

OP
JaikumarS

JaikumarS

Just the first minute includes a pretty broad range of styles, so you'll probably need a decent orchestra, maybe a dedicated strings library. And 70s funk guitar - but you could probably get close enough with some of the guitars you already have and a free envelope-following filter (autowah) effect. So, I'd focus on strings first, not-too-epic complete orchestra second, good piano third. If you feel the horns you have are already overused, look at Impact Soundworks Straight Ahead Jazz Horns.

You could also look into some inexpensive libraries which don't really have the detail level to be convincing for long complex pieces, but for short incidental bits they excel at capturing certain vibes. Big Fish Audio Grindhouse might or might not be useful, I haven't tried it, but I'd take a look at it if I had to make scores which feature several cliches from older movie styles. The new Indignus retro horns might also fall into this category.

Thank you for the recommendations.

Last edited:
OP
JaikumarS

JaikumarS

Wow. Micky Mouse by John Kricfalusi (Ren and Stimpy). Very cool, but don't know how you do this much work without real players. You would need a few weeks each short episode with many, many libraries (Including the PS libs you mentioned) Or write it out and hand it to great players.
Actually the production don't have the budget for real players, looks like i'll have to slog for the next several months and get the themes done and reuse them at few places e.g. chase sequences.