Kontakt issue with Spitfire and VEP [UPDATE]

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Phil81, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Phil81

Phil81 Member

Jan 29, 2019
    I built a template around Spitfire Chamber Strings and Studio Orchestra and something odd is happening to it.

After arming a few tracks and playing a chord sequence, some of the 'core techniques' patches behave erratically. If I hit a single note twice, the audio drops on what appears to be the second round robin. Kontakt's disk meter flashes red even though the files are in an SSD - and most of the samples are loaded into RAM.

UPDATE: It’s a kontakt issue. I have to restart VEP everytime it happens and play less voices. I wonder if anyone has set the DFD of more than 60kb even though samples are on SSD to increase voice count...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  2. X-Bassist

X-Bassist Senior Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Some things to try that helped me with some of these issues:
    1) If you didn't batch resave the patches after uploading SCS or SSO I would recommend it. My copy of SCS loads slow until I batch resave the patches:
    Kontakt Menu (disk icon) select Batch re-save. Only Batch resave one library at a time, selecting the instrument folder where the nki's reside. Kontakt (after a warning) will double check the patches and samples then resave the files. The warning is due to IF you try to batch resave many libraries at a time, it could reference the wrong samples, then save the patches incorrectly. But if you batch resave ONE library at a time, it won't mess up. Also SCS could take a while due to it's size, SCS pro will take longer. But give it 20 min and you'll have faster loading/playing patches.

2) Multiprocessor support settings in Kontakt: turns out setting this to HALF your available cores (for me it's 12 so I set it to 6) really helped Kontakt to stream samples smoother. I was shocked how much this helps, even more than resaving patches:
    Kontakt settings (gear icon) Engine/ Multiprocessor support.
    Again, select half your cores (because I have a 6 core, it's got 12 "cores"- then select half of them, which is 6)
    Evil Dragon gave me this tip and my Kontakt in VE Pro has been streaming well ever since. :)

3. OP
    OP
    Phil81

Phil81 Member

Jan 29, 2019
    But wouldn't it also increase CPU usage?

4. X-Bassist

X-Bassist Senior Member

Sep 26, 2015
    No, it actually splits the processing across multiple cores better, resulting in lower overall CPU usage. Give it a shot (you may have to restart to see the results).

Phil81 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Phil81

Phil81 Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Definitely giving it a shot soon. thanks!

6. OP
    OP
    Phil81

Phil81 Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Phew, I moved my SCS to another SSD and voila! Problem solved. Now I can bring the preload buffer to as little as 18kb without a problem. Ecstatic over here.

X-Bassist, one little thing I meant to ask you earlier. Did you set your core count from within Kontakt in VEP?

7. clonewar

clonewar Active Member

Aug 11, 2005
    I’m about to set up two VE Pro slaves and am going to try this tip out. A couple of questions about your setup.. Does your CPU have 12 physical cores, or 6 physical/12 hyperthreading cores? How many VE Pro instances do you run on your slave? And what do you have the VE Pro multiprocessor setting set to?

Thanks!
    Michael

8. X-Bassist

X-Bassist Senior Member

Sep 26, 2015
    6 physical, but Kotakt sees it as 12 cores (as you say hyperthreading). Evil Dragon suggested used half your cores in the Kontakt setting (so 6) and it works well.

I run anywhere from 6 to 20 VE Pro instances, multiprocessor has been set to 2 per instance, but I’m going to try 6 to see if that helps or hurts.

According to E.D, multiprocessing settings in the DAW, verse Kontakt, verse VE Pro, do different things. I’ll see if I can find the thread, or maybe he’ll chime in. ;)

Finding the right settings for your setup and sessions can make things run much smoother, just adjusting the kontakt setting was a huge boost for me.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  9. benatural

benatural Active Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Interesting to hear about multi core Kontakt in VEP. I thought the old role of thumb was to only have one thing be multi-core. Do you have multi-core on in VEP too?