What's new

Kontakt external editor?

stargazer

Are there any alternative/external editors available for Kontakt?
For example, I find it cumbersome to navigate in the Group Editor with high numbers of groups.
I would also welcome a full sized mapping Editor, larger than the size C in Kontakt Standalone.
What do sample library developers use?

You can change the mapping/wave editor sizes in the registry. I use a very comfortable 1320x768 size for them.

On Windows:

1. Press Win+R, type regedit and run it
2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5
3. Modify values of mapPopupHeight_C, mapPopupWidth_C, samplePopupHeight_C, samplePopupWidth_C keys to your liking.

Result:

upload_2018-2-16_13-15-22.png

BTW, use the left side browser area instead of Group Editor (Expert->Groups (prior to K5.6 it's Monitor->Groups). There's a filter by name option in this one, which doesn't exist in Group Editor.

There are no 3rd party full editors for Kontakt because of the binary file format which is not documented by NI.

You can change the mapping/wave editor sizes in the registry. I use a very comfortable 1320x768 size for them.

On Windows:

1. Press Win+R, type regedit and run it
2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5
3. Modify values of mapPopupHeight_C, mapPopupWidth_C, samplePopupHeight_C, samplePopupWidth_C keys to your liking.

Result:

upload_2018-2-16_13-15-22.png

BTW, use the left side browser area instead of Group Editor (Expert->Groups (prior to K5.6 it's Monitor->Groups). There's a filter by name option in this one, which doesn't exist in Group Editor.

There are no 3rd party full editors for Kontakt because of the binary file format which is not documented by NI.

By the way, if anyone wants to try this on a Mac, you need to edit the com.native-instruments.Kontakt 5.plist in your user Library folder.

However, I've found that while it works for the sample editor, the mapping editor's width gets reset everytime I launch Kontakt 5. So it looks like this preference is permanently overwritten by the app. If anyone finds a way to fix that, please post it. Cheers!

EDIT - Ah, if you set it to 1600 or less it sticks. Anything over 1600 and it's re-written when Kontakt launches.

Last edited:
It works for me on Mac. Max size seems to be 1600 x 1200.
There is two com.native-instruments.Kontakt 5.plist preference files:
1: /Library/Preferences/com.native-instruments.Kontakt 5.plist preference
2: /Users/xxx/Library/Preferences/com.native-instruments.Kontakt 5.plist preference

I edited the one in my home/user folder and it worked right away.

2: /Users/xxx/Library/Preferences/com.native-instruments.Kontakt 5.plist preference

I edited the one in my home/user folder and it worked right away.

Hi,

i don't see any value in mine...(not that i really understand coding)
only :

MasterDelayComp_sampleSearchFiles3_lastBrowserPathFav_02_searchDBFolderCustom_0013_searchDBFolderCustom_0051]quickloadsel2]useStdCC_7_10\lastSavePath^outputsVisible_playbackAutoScroll_$doubleClickOnSampleCreatesInstrument_bypassFilterGiga\masterVolume_lastBrowserPathFav_13^widthGLColumn2_idxLastBrowserPathFiles_lastBrowserPathFav_24_searchDBFolderCustom_0047_searchDBFolderCustom_0009_lastBrowserPathFiles_008_BrowserSearchSettingsSize_recentFileNameNr14_autoRefreshBrowserX_searchDBFolderCustom_0042[disableOVKM_mapPopupHeight_C\browserWidth_browserViewDB_Sep2PosY^widthGLColumn1_activateDFDOnLoad_AKAI_saveDlgAbsolutePaths_searchDBFolderCustom_0004_importSamplesAsAIF_waveEditorAppPath_activateDFDOnLoad_Halion_flatViewBrowserFav_AB2 MidiDevice0

Are you on Mac? If so, you can't edit the .plist with the simple text editor, you need to use XCode, or TextWrangler, or something like that.

Also, if anyone else is trying to do this to Kontakt 6 on Mac, the plist is now titled:
com.native-instruments.Kontakt Application.plist
... in user/Library/Prefs

Top Bottom