What's new

Kontakt 6!

Dear ED (EvilDragon)
i know you dont believe me, but its a fact that patches from TIME Macro are 20-40% less CPU on the Kontakt 6 player than on kontakt 5.8.1 full.

I dont know why that is (only you should know)...
maybe i am going crazy...
no...to be serious its really like this, did several tests on that.

hopefully that will be on kontakt 6 full also.
Maybe someone can test that?

:)

Thank you very much, TtF, that's extremely helpful, especially with all of the hyperlinking . . .

. . . man, NI's demos do nothing to really sell me on anything other than K6 (which is an inevitability) and Thrill (now I understand all the positive chatter about it... although it reminds me that I haven't yet squeezed out all of Morphestra 2's possibilities).

As for the rest . . . I'd like to be excited about Session Strings Pro 2, but so many of the patches in the video walkthrough sound so synthy, and I can't tell whether it's the patches themselves, or just misapplication of the built-in reverb/EQ/compression/effects, which I wouldn't use.

Ditto Discovery Series: Middle East . . . does its Saz always sound harpsichord-y, or is that they gussied it up poorly for the video? The Ney sounds like it came off of one of my old EIIIx disks. I really like that it lets you play the string instruments in proper scales and tunings (and I'd be pretty intrigued if I could use DS:ME's scale/tuning selction to constrain the scale/tuning of a different VI that I've loaded onto another DAW track), but I can't tell from the one walkthrough video how much it gives me that Ra/Silk doesn't already cover.

The two guitar libraries have some neat features, but I'm not sold on the sound of the guitars themselves... again, I wonder how much of that is due to the way they were amp'd/reverb'd/EQ'd/compress'd/effected/whatever'd for the videos.

Ehhhhhhhh......................

Dear ED (EvilDragon)
i know you dont believe me, but its a fact that patches from TIME Macro are 20-40% less CPU on the Kontakt 6 player than on kontakt 5.8.1 full.

I dont know why that is (only you should know)...

I already mentioned the one possible cause for the difference would be a different multicore setting in Kontakt. Did you confirm they're identical or different between v5.8.1 and v6?

I don't have any OT libraries so I can't really test that, but stuff that I do have (Spitfire, NI, OTS, Vir2, whatever else, I have a ton), has exactly the same CPU usage between v5.8.1 and v6.

hopefully that will be on kontakt 6 full also.

As mentioned above, full version and player version are exactly the same code. Just the license is different.

Where do you get the info about the massive expansion for K 12 ? Dont found them in my NI Acess after installation of K 12 update from K 11. Is there a separate mail like with the play instruments for Kontakt ? Then I will have to ask for this cause I dont get it so far.

I notice Sample Logic Expeditions and Arpology Cinematic seem to be Kontakt 6 casualties (i.e. they don’t work in Kontakt 6). Anybody found any others?

I fear that Kontakt 6 does not auto move the presets folders over for you. You may need to go to the Mac Documents / Native Instruments / Kontakt 5 folder and move those presets folders manually to the Kontakt 6 folder (I am assuming it will be called Kontakt 6?) Please let us know if this resolves the issue.

They dropped the number in K6 so the folder would just be called "Kontakt".

And of course Kontakt cannot really keep track of what 3rd party libraries are doing. So the onus is on the developer (and ultimately the user) to do these things. If the libraries in question were Kontakt Player, this would be a non-issue, though :)

Yes we Just installed our copy of Kontakt 6 and ED is correct the new presets folder location is not Kontakt 6 but rather "kontakt" as the application is now called Kontakt.

To use our non-Kontakt player products in Kontakt 6 you will need to copy the related presets folders from
users/documents/Native Instruments/Kontakt 5

and paste them into

users/documents/Native Instruments/Kontakt

Pure speculation on my part, but I have a sneaking suspicion that - especially with the new numberless Kontakt - there will be no Kontakt 7, but rather... yes, Kontakt X.

Mario's many posts on the legacy code problems lead me to believe that they will just chuck the lot and do something new that is not backwards compatible, a la Massive / Massive X. They'd still likely keep Ye Olde Kontakt supported for many many years, and hopefully give devs some tools to help port the old format to the new.

Let's just not start the guessing game too early. :)

That same legacy code is the very reason why Kontakt is so damn efficient in the first place. That core isn't going anywhere. UI part just needs to be separated from it and updated to modern standards. "Just".

...but easier to port the good bits to a shiny new framework or do all that weeding?

But true, all rather pointless for now as it would be years off before I could look smug...

I already mentioned the one possible cause for the difference would be a different multicore setting in Kontakt. Did you confirm they're identical or different between v5.8.1 and v6?

I don't have any OT libraries so I can't really test that, but stuff that I do have (Spitfire, NI, OTS, Vir2, whatever else, I have a ton), has exactly the same CPU usage between v5.8.1 and v6.

As mentioned above, full version and player version are exactly the same code. Just the license is different.

just did stress testing with a TM patch ( Strings very slow trem) and put slider of timestretch to the right.
guess what...
not playable in kontakt 5 due to "overheating" and clips and crackles all over.
kontakt is just fine with appr. 75% CPU

ah yes, i checked all settings , so that they are really the same!

so something must have happened with the new version.
well if NI doesnt want to tell us, i am happy anyway ;)

just did stress testing with a TM patch ( Strings very slow trem) and put slider of timestretch to the right.
guess what...
not playable in kontakt 5 due to "overheating" and clips and crackles all over.
kontakt is just fine with appr. 75% CPU

I'm curious, how many notes were you playing at once?

I just tried the same (Kontakt 5.8.1) and hit 75% CPU with 5-6 notes simultaneously.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I'm curious, how many notes were you playing at once?

I just tried the same (Kontakt 5.8.1) and hit 75% CPU with 5-6 notes simultaneously.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

i think i did 2 notes if i remember corectly.

here WIN 10 with I7-6700 at 4ghz
64gb ram

Yes we Just installed our copy of Kontakt 6 and ED is correct the new presets folder location is not Kontakt 6 but rather "kontakt" as the application is now called Kontakt.

To use our non-Kontakt player products in Kontakt 6 you will need to copy the related presets folders from
users/documents/Native Instruments/Kontakt 5

and paste them into

users/documents/Native Instruments/Kontakt
It Works!
@EvilDragon and @Sample logic you guys are awesome! Thanks!

i think i did 2 notes if i remember corectly.

here WIN 10 with I7-6700 at 4ghz
64gb ram

Interesting. I'm no tech guru and haven't kept up with what's what in the past few years, but it appears you've got far more muscle in your machine than I have in mine. So why do I seem to be doing better?

My samples are on a 3TB (3-1TB drives) external that's connected via Thunderbolt (Ver. 1) and the drives are in a OWC Thunderbay 4 mini. Raid 0

For what all that is worth :)

It Works!
@EvilDragon and @Sample logic you guys are awesome! Thanks!
That would explain why I could not find any QuickLoad folders I have made either. Have to go to %AppData%,
then navigate to the Kontakt 5 folder and copy over to the Kontakt folder for the QuickLoad entries to show up in K6

Currently I am just using the Player, until deals come on K12U in the future :)

Thank you very much, TtF, that's extremely helpful, especially with all of the hyperlinking . . .

. . . man, NI's demos do nothing to really sell me on anything other than K6 (which is an inevitability) and Thrill (now I understand all the positive chatter about it... although it reminds me that I haven't yet squeezed out all of Morphestra 2's possibilities).

As for the rest . . . I'd like to be excited about Session Strings Pro 2, but so many of the patches in the video walkthrough sound so synthy, and I can't tell whether it's the patches themselves, or just misapplication of the built-in reverb/EQ/compression/effects, which I wouldn't use.

Ditto Discovery Series: Middle East . . . does its Saz always sound harpsichord-y, or is that they gussied it up poorly for the video? The Ney sounds like it came off of one of my old EIIIx disks. I really like that it lets you play the string instruments in proper scales and tunings (and I'd be pretty intrigued if I could use DS:ME's scale/tuning selction to constrain the scale/tuning of a different VI that I've loaded onto another DAW track), but I can't tell from the one walkthrough video how much it gives me that Ra/Silk doesn't already cover.

The two guitar libraries have some neat features, but I'm not sold on the sound of the guitars themselves... again, I wonder how much of that is due to the way they were amp'd/reverb'd/EQ'd/compress'd/effected/whatever'd for the videos.

Ehhhhhhhh......................
What I like most about Discovery: Middle East are the percussion instruments. A tremendous amount of articulations, rolls, fills, and patterns, the mostI've ever seen on any Middle Eastern percussion instrument. And a lot of instruments--4 darbukas, a Daf, a Daire, a Davul, 4 frame drums, Kudu, Tombak, and 2 Riqs. Very expressive, you can change the fill speed with the modwheel and the roll velocity with Pitch Bend and Aftertouch. This is the library that has sold me more than any other on my ROLI, as it responds to very subtle changes in pressure.

For sound quality, it can't compete with Evolution Middle East, with its four microphones, but I think it sounds very good. But it also lets you drag out its many MIDI patterns into your DAW, where they can play Evolution, or any drums or percussion you like.

As for the melodic instruments, it seems like they all have a dozen articulations, so what you get out of them might have a lot to do with how much effort you put into your playing. I am getting some nice results with the Oud. By chance, I recently happened upon a guy who gave me an impromptu performance on his Oud. I've never watched anybody play it so close up. (The last time was when I went to "The Band's Visit") He works at this store on 14th Street in NYC, the kind of place where they sell sneakers, t-shirts, sponges and assorted stuff. But he had an Oud and a Darbuka in the window, so I went in. Inside, he was selling a few out of a case in the back from various countries. Chance encounters like this are why I love New York City so much.
IMG_0731.JPG

I was all excited to pay the sneaker/oud guy a visit, tomorrow . . . until I saw the price tag...... [sigh] . . . . .

For sound quality, it can't compete with Evolution Middle East, with its four microphones, but I think it sounds very good. But it also lets you drag out its many MIDI patterns into your DAW, where they can play Evolution, or any drums or percussion you like.

IMG_0731.JPG

. . . and I already have (and love) Evolution's World Percussion 2.0 (I think what's now referred to as "Core"), for which VI:C member @ysnyvz generously posted a number of his own hand-wrought MIDI grooves here, on several occasions. Search for them if you didn't see them at the time!

It's looking more and more like I'll be holding off until lucky K13 comes around.

I was all excited to pay the sneaker/oud guy a visit, tomorrow . . . until I saw the price tag...... [sigh] . . . . .
If it's late and there aren't many customers in the store, I'm sure the guy would be happy to play for you. He said that people were always asking him where they could get one, so he starting importing them.
The instruments are so beautiful to look at. Each one comes from a different country. He also sells some cheapie little metal Darbukas in the $30-$50 range.

E&L Sportswear 102 West 14th Street (between 6th and 7th)

Top Bottom