What's new

Kontakt 6!

well i have another performance comparision for kontakt 5 and new player 6.

maximo 24 bit strings patch from sonokinetic, old version around 6-8%, new version around 5-7%, more on the 5 side...

That's all within margin of error, you can't really tie that to improved performance (especially since there were no such optimizations between 5.8.1 and 6.0.2 :)).

Nothing I can confirm. Heavy patches that were heavy in 5.8.1. are just about the same CPU in 6.0.2 over here.

EDIT: Actually, there's one thing that could be possibly different. When you install K6 from scratch, it doesn't copy all the options from K5, but defaults them. So could it be that the multicore setting is set to a different value compared to what your K5 is set to?

A guy on a youtube video recomended turning multicore in kontakt to Zero.
If we own Kontakt player libraries, Can we get kontakt 6 player for free?

Until they offer easy access to more scalable and higher contrast type, Native Instruments is seriously neglecting a huge part of their pro audience: people over 40. All industry studies on useability show that GUIs created for the vision impaired have higher overall satisfaction across all age groups and users. I have been advocating this issue for almost two decades to all kinds of Web clients. From one man shops to multinational corporations. Mostly to deaf ears.

To be fair, I have used Kontakt for years and I like it very much. But the useability issues keeps me from loving it.

(I'm not reacting to you, EvilDragon, but to the current and past versions of Kontakt)

Last edited:
They are aware of all that, but there are good reasons why it's hard to move on that front. It's not that it won't happen, but it'll take more time.

They are aware of all that, but there are good reasons why it's hard to move on that front. It's not that it won't happen, but it'll take more time.

Very good to hear, ED. I think UI improvements would create more goodwill among their user base than a whole slew of other technical improvements.

Just beginning to install komplete 12 and wondering where the new play instruments (ethereal, hybrid keys, analog dreams) are ? They are not listened as "not installed" instruments, so I wonder if they are part of the factory library ? I hope not cause that would mean I have to install all the 23 GB only for these 3 Instruments :-(

Just beginning to install komplete 12 and wondering where the new play instruments (ethereal, hybrid keys, analog dreams) are ? They are not listened as "not installed" instruments, so I wonder if they are part of the factory library ? I hope not cause that would mean I have to install all the 23 GB only for these 3 Instruments :-(

They are part of the bundle but, in my case with K12U, i received a email from NI a bit later with the disponibility to install those instruments from Native Access and the invoice of these free instruments, so after restarting NA these instruments are available.

RCsound: thanks a lot, , you saved my day :2thumbs:.

Yes, after closing (and then downloading the 6 GB from the session strings I have started to download for install again after restart....) and reopening native acess they are there now. What a b....... NI on its best again :eek:.
I know it has been mentioned before but: what use has a hard drive when the biggest items (session strings 2, Middle eas....) have to be downloaded KOMPLETE(ly) again ? Wonder how many days I will spent on this, if I have known that I could as well take a download instead of waiting on harddisk from U.k.......

what use has a hard drive when the biggest items (session strings 2, Middle eas....) have to be downloaded KOMPLETE(ly) again ?

No you don't need to do this. Already installed NI libraries can be located from NA. Hover over them in "Not installed" section and you will see.

No, both NEW for K12 (Middle east and Session strings 2, same now with all the new kontakt player instruments) have to be downloaded completely. Locating dont work on the delivered hard drive, evrything seems encrypted or whatever. Only thing I can install so far from the drive is kontakt factory library (which I deleted after realizing that the new player instruments are not in there) dated last century and the rickenbacker (same century....). And of course this wonderful expansions weigthing about 1 Gb max. each...Really dont worth to worry about (even if I cant help but do :) but I really cant see any sense in it. The sessions strings 2 are 1.0.0 so nothing has changed, why cant I install them from the drive ? I really wonder whats on it, maybe all the (last century) pianos....

Last edited:
Sure you can, why would it not work? NI is sometimes telling strange things to customers ...
Attached is a screenshot of Logic 10.4.2 which runs different versions of NI plugins alongside each other with no problem. A different story is of course the question if these older plugins still work on newer macOS versions. Not sure about Mojave, but in High Sierra, they are just fine.

When you installed Kontakt 6 did you have to do anything with Kontakt 5 (move it? rename it? etc). The following is direct from NI:

Niall @ NI (Native Instruments)

Jun 28, 12:40 CEST

It´s not possible to have installed two different versions of Kontakt on the same system. There may be workarounds possible, by setting a partition on the OS disk but it is outside of our scope unfortunately.

So...? Now I'm confused... :)

Top Bottom