What's new

Komplete Kontrol S88 MK2

elfman

I'm upgrading my controller from Yamaha DGX-630 that I bought 8 years ago. Was thinking about trying the KK S88 MK2. Opinions? I'm an advanced pianist so feel matters to me, but I understand nothing is every going to be a real grand piano. Still, I'd like some pianists' opinions on that.

I'd like to hear your overall thoughts on this controller. Pros, cons, whether you'd recommend, worthy competitors, etc. Thanks.

So I bought one of these for a second studio spot after enjoying the S49 and A63. The S88 surprisingly arrived with the keybed a little uneven (some keys just sit lower than others; it's nothing terrible). I don't have the keyboard sitting at the right height (just on a desk), so I can't talk too much to its advanced piano feel, since I wasn't playing it optimized that way. The feel is good, though. And it's pretty much necessary to use the Sonokinetic libraries.
Overall I think it's a fine keyboard, but you're not going to mistake it for a Kawai CA-95.

So I bought one of these for a second studio spot after enjoying the S49 and A63. The S88 surprisingly arrived with the keybed a little uneven (some keys just sit lower than others; it's nothing terrible). I don't have the keyboard sitting at the right height (just on a desk), so I can't talk too much to its advanced piano feel, since I wasn't playing it optimized that way. The feel is good, though. And it's pretty much necessary to use the Sonokinetic libraries.
Overall I think it's a fine keyboard, but you're not going to mistake it for a Kawai CA-95.
I've never even heard of Sonokinetic. How well does it work with Spitfire? That is what I use for my core orchestra.

They sit well for me! They make mostly phrase based libraries that use the keyboard pretty uniquely for triggering.

The Select stuff, which I’ve received like four times now, is good, although all I care about is The Gentleman, so I can’t speak for much else. Many of them are Neat, but I’ve not been playing in synth space much lately.

I'm interested in getting a Komplete Kontrol aswell. While the software/hardware integration for selecting instruments and the midi mapping is the key selling points for me, I'm always worried about additional software being taxing and/or in the way. @styledelk what's your experience working with the software in those aspects?

Top Bottom