What's new

Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2 vs. alternatives...

Just to add my two cents I took delivery of an S61 a few days ago. Previously I had a Nektar LX61+ and I did try out the GXP88 as well

I love the keybed on the S61 so smooth and responsive and I did tweak the velocity response settings.

You can create MIDI templates that map the buttons knobs etc as well as defining colours and sections in the keybed. The two downsides I have found to this is that you have to manually select the template for the instrument your working with, secondly the knobs are CC absolute with no soft take up

Using komplete control means the buttons knobs are mapped for the instrument/preset along with the light guide IF the developer supports NKS. If they don’t support NKS you can still map knobs buttons but you can NOT alter the light guide. Also using KK means all knobs use soft take over.

So if you want light guide control use MIDI templates, if you want soft take over , auto select etc use KK

Just to add my two cents I took delivery of an S61 a few days ago. Previously I had a Nektar LX61+ and I did try out the GXP88 as well

I love the keybed on the S61 so smooth and responsive and I did tweak the velocity response settings.

I totally relate to this. It's quite sad that they don't offer the very same keybed with 88 keys.

I totally relate to this. It's quite sad that they don't offer the very same keybed with 88 keys.
Yeah seems their opinion is if you want 88 keys you be a pianist and want hammer action. If I remember m-audio do the opposite with the 88 ketstation, it comes in hammer and non hammer action

Not true. I map the light guides for all the MIDI templates I create with Komplete Kontrol.

Most recently I created light guide templates for Sine's "Tableau."
Think you need to reread what I wrote, if you create midi templates then yes you can create light guides. But you lose soft take over and have to manually select maps

if you use KK then you get auto selection and soft take over but you cannot define light guides. The plugin developer has to implement the light guide api for use in Kk

Think you need to reread what I wrote, if you create midi templates then yes you can create light guides. But you lose soft take over and have to manually select maps

if you use KK then you get auto selection and soft take over but you cannot define light guides. The plugin developer has to implement the light guide api for use in Kk

You're right. I didn't read your entire post carefully. The upper part shows you know that the light guides can be programmed into user templates.

I just didn't understand what you wrote later on, largely because I have never previously heard the term "soft take over," so it went past me.

Do you mean by "soft takeover" that the lights work in a non-NKS instrument instantiated inside of Komplete Kontrol? (It does with some instruments; it doesn't with others.) My experience is that there are three possibilities:
  • Automatic Light Guides and no possible user mapping.
  • The knobs are auto-assigned, but the user can't add light guides.
  • The user can create their own templates from scratch with light guides and mapping.
But what you wrote I have read several times and I honestly don't know if you are saying the same thing or the opposite.

Using komplete control means the buttons knobs are mapped for the instrument/preset along with the light guide IF the developer supports NKS. If they don’t support NKS you can still map knobs buttons but you can NOT alter the light guide. Also using KK means all knobs use soft take over.

So if you want light guide control use MIDI templates, if you want soft take over , auto select etc use KK
Are we in agreement or is there something about NKS I don't understand? You clearly know what you're talking about with NKS.

Last edited:
You're right. I didn't read your entire post carefully. The upper part shows you know that the light guides can be programmed into user templates.

I just didn't understand what you wrote later on, largely because I have never previously heard the term "soft take over," so it went past me.

Do you mean by "soft takeover" that the lights work in a non-NKS instrument instantiated inside of Komplete Kontrol? (It does with some instruments; it doesn't with others.) My experience is that there are three possibilities:
  • Automatic Light Guides and no possible user mapping.
  • The knobs are auto-assigned, but the user can't add light guides.
  • The user can create their own templates from scratch with light guides and mapping.
But what you wrote I have read several times and I honestly don't know if you are saying the same thing or the opposite.

Are we in agreement or is there something about NKS I don't understand? You clearly know what you're talking about with NKS.
Ok I will try to explain it, btw soft take over is not related to the light rail.

so in a midi template u have knob 1 mapped to cc01 now no matter which track in your daw you select the value knob 1 will remain static. So if track one has a cc01=25 and track 2 cc01=50 the display for knob 1 won’t reflect this. Now as soon as you touch knob 1 the value for cc01 will go back to 1 and start increasing as you turn it. If soft take over we’re implemented then either when you turn the knob nothing happens until u reach the current cc01 orwhen you turn the knob it starts from whatever the current value is.

now if you use kk to load an instrument you will see that knob 1 always displays is corresponding cc value in the instrument, and when you go to change it it picks up from whatever the current value is

Top Bottom