What's new

Komplete 12 worth it for Kontakt 6? (own Komplete 8)

SomeGuy

12 hours left on the Komplete summer sale and I still can’t decide if I should upgrade from Komplete 8! Was going to, but I’m on a Mac 5,1 so cannot run massive X. Does kontakt 6 alone make the upgrade worth it? I’m also still on the previous versions of reaktor and battery, but don’t use them that often.

Advice? I really am torn as I feel I haven’t explored or used komplete 8 to the max, but wonder if it makes sense to get it mainly for K6 since I cannot run massive x? Or maybe there is something else new in komplete 9-11 that might push me over the top? Or just wait until the next summer sale in 2 years?

12 hours left on the Komplete summer sale and I still can’t decide if I should upgrade from Komplete 8! Was going to, but I’m on a Mac 5,1 so cannot run massive X. Does kontakt 6 alone make the upgrade worth it? I’m also still on the previous versions of reaktor and battery, but don’t use them that often.

Advice? I really am torn as I feel I haven’t explored or used komplete 8 to the max, but wonder if it makes sense to get it mainly for K6 since I cannot run massive x? Or maybe there is something else new in komplete 9-11 that might push me over the top? Or just wait until the next summer sale in 2 years?

Why would it take two years and not one?

I assume you mean K6, along with all the additional libraries that would be included as part of the upgrade? If so, there’s quite a lot of stuff there that might be useful to you, but of course that depends on what type of sounds you’re looking for.

And as above poster pointed out, the summer upgrade sale has happened every year so far so you don’t have to wait two. Myself, I’m waiting for the next one to upgrade to K13U which would give me Noire, Mallet Flux and whatever stuff they release from now til then.

If you’re disappointed that you won’t get Massive, you might wanna check out dune 3. It often flies under the radar, but it’s a stellar synth. Kevin Schroeder’s cinematic sounds demo on YT should give you an idea of what it’s capable of, other than EDM sounds.

In my opinion, you should update if you're still using Komplete 8, even if you're primarily using Kontakt. Native Instruments had released quite a few of great new Kontakt libraries since then and for me, personally, this is always the main motive for updating Komplete to the latest version. I'm a Komplete owner since version 9 and had updated to every new version when the updates were 50% off, though I understand those who're patiently waiting for a longer time before updating / upgrading as they're getting the biggest quantity of the new content that way at the lowest possible price.

As for the question is Kontakt 6 alone worth the update, I think it mainly depends on your needs. If you are developer of Kontakt libraries, you'll certainly benefit from the new possibilities of the engine. But even if you're an end-user like myself, you should still profit due to the interesting new libraries that ship with it. Of course, this is also relative to your particular needs and taste. I myself have built quite a collection of 3rd party Kontakt libraries, but Komplete always remain the solid foundation of my tools.

In my opinion, you should update if you're still using Komplete 8, even if you're primarily using Kontakt. Native Instruments had released quite a few of great new Kontakt libraries since then and for me, personally, this is always the main motive for updating Komplete to the latest version. I'm a Komplete owner since version 9 and had updated to every new version when the updates were 50% off, though I understand those who're patiently waiting for a longer time before updating / upgrading as they're getting the biggest quantity of the new content that way at the lowest possible price.

As for the question is Kontakt 6 alone worth the update, I think it mainly depends on your needs. If you are developer of Kontakt libraries, you'll certainly benefit from the new possibilities of the engine. But even if you're an end-user like myself, you should still profit due to the interesting new libraries that ship with it. Of course, this is also relative to your particular needs and taste. I myself have built quite a collection of 3rd party Kontakt libraries, but Komplete always remain the solid foundation of my tools.

Thanks! I’m thinking along the same lines, which is why I was actually considering K12 ultimate for the additional libraries as well. You mention the new libraries for kontakt that ship with komplete, which do you find most useful?

So you could spend £160 per year to pick up a couple of new additions, or £160 every 2 years to pick up twice as much new stuff.
Not quite sure that's completely correct because Komplete isn't updated every year IIRC.

However, as someone who's just upgraded from Komplete 10U to 12U I'm amazed at the amount of new content. Even with this (thankfully) continuing trend of 60/70/80/90% off sales for so many sample libraries, for me this K12U update has got to be one of the best value purchases in a long time...

Thanks! I’m thinking along the same lines, which is why I was actually considering K12 ultimate for the additional libraries as well. You mention the new libraries for kontakt that ship with komplete, which do you find most useful?

Actually, I'm still patiently waiting for a new month to begin so I could download all the libraries included in K12, as my download quota almost hit the ceiling (currenly, I only have a limited traffic Internet package due to the technical difficulties). However, I've did install the new "Play" series that ship with Kontakt 6. Since piano and keyboards are my main instruments, I especially like "Hybrid Keys" though I expect I'll be using "Analog Dreams" and "Ethereal Earth" quite a bit as well. I think that Native Instruments made an interesting step toward the world of "boutique" Kontakt libraries - from the developers such as Spitfire Audio, Sound Dust and Fracture Sounds. The sounds of the "Play" series are "imperfect" and organic, not like the pristine and hi-fidelity products NI is primarily known for. I like these libraries a lot because of their immediacy and easy manipulation options, as well as the ability to make almost countless combinations of included A-B sounds.

I am also somewhat intrigued by "Session Strings 2". While I already have a number of orchestral / strings libraries for Kontakt, I feel that SS2 might be quite useful in the situations demanding simple strings arrangements. From what I've read, Session Strings 2 features a true legato and smart chord voicing feature, which IMO is quite a step up from the original Session Strings, which I've never really used before.

Top Bottom