What's new

Kinda 80's

Nice! This has a very uplifting, spacious sound to it. I just followed you on SoundCloud because I appreciate that you've taken a liking to the 80s genre lately, and want to hear what you come up with next.

Since you called it your "kinda 80s" track and didn't choose a full-out 80s direction with it, I'm not going to push you to too hard in any direction. But if there's one thing your song definitely needs, it's at least one more instrument to fill in the cracks, whether a distorted guitar, synth, or DX-7. The song feels empty without it, especially in spots where that missing backing instrument should shine through.

(Personally, I'm not a fan of the descending piano bass line toward the end; it's not congruent with the rest of the song.)

Great job!

Analog was out, and a handful of sounds were spun into pretty much everything.

PPG
Jupiter-8
Oberheim
Yamaha DX-7
Two of those synths are analog and a third is a hybrid. Also don't forget the analog Pro-1 and Juno. And maybe re-listen to some Bruce Hornsby and the Range to jog your memory of what the OP might be aiming for? ;)

I like the track! Agree with @Polkasound that it could use another element, synth or not.

Two of those synths are analog and a third is a hybrid. Also don't forget the analog Pro-1 and Juno. And maybe re-listen to some Bruce Hornsby and the Range to jog your memory of what the OP might be aiming for? ;)

I like the track! Agree with @Polkasound that it could use another element, synth or not.

I agree with the idea of adding more synths. I have dx7 patches which I downloaded for fm8. The problem is trying to find the right patch.

The thing I can't stand about working with synths is just how many there are and trying to find which works with what haha.

Are there any recommended patches as an idea? I kind of know what I want but trying to find them is a nightmare. At the moment I have a dx7 electric piano patch underneath the piano as well as a dx7 strings patch. But I think the strings patch kind of just sounds like reverb on the piano.

Also, love me a bit of Bruce Hornsby. Trying to learn the solo on "the way it is"

Just finished laying down everything for my kinda 80's track. Looking for some new ears to take a listen and get some feedback. Hope you enjoy it!

Also want to give another thanks to Alan McGeoch for playing the guitar parts in this track again.

Enjoyed this. I can hear 80's right through it, even without the synths. Could've even been a tv-show (sitcom or light-drama). There were more than a couple of moments that could've been used as little clips to bring the show back in after a break, or when making a bigger scene break in the show.

Really brought to mind this (Or it did after listening, so I cam back to edit and embed this)

The mix could do with a bit more balance between the foreground sax and the back-beat to make it feel more solid, though.

Great job!

Last edited:
Are there any recommended patches as an idea?
I felt that I wanted a Jupiter-style synth-keys sort of patch (ie with a fast decay but some fizzy sustain afterwards) playing in the octave above the middle-C octave, but I can't name an exact patch right now. Diva would get you there for sure. ;)

I felt that I wanted a Jupiter-style synth-keys sort of patch (ie with a fast decay but some fizzy sustain afterwards) playing in the octave above the middle-C octave, but I can't name an exact patch right now. Diva would get you there for sure. ;)
mmmmmmm diiiiiiiiivvaaaaaaaaaaa. what a great synth.

Damn it, I never heard of this synth before but you both made me curious so I looked it up. Now I want it but then I saw the price.
You can get a lot of their analogue goodness from Repro 1/5 (You get two synths. The mono 'One' and the poly 'Pro-5'. Truly stunning synths.

Top Bottom