1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keyswitching vs Separate Tracks vs UACC etc...

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by jononotbono, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Vik

Vik Senior Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Logic actually has a better solution IMO, only that it's fully implemented. Logic can attach Articulation ID-tags to each and every note, so two notes on the same MIDI channel and on the exact same time position and track/region can have two different articulations.

That's a very future "proof" solution, because it means full flexibility. You can, for instance, improvise a four part chorale using a piano sound, and later assign each of the four voices to SATB or V1/V2/Va/Cello *and* keep the MIDI channels intact. This means that you can select articulations with the articulation IDs and eg Kontakt preset with the MIDI channel - and this way write a string quartet where all the four notes are inside a piano (bass+treble) clef - with full control of which of your chosen violas that shall be used for each of the articulations and so on. Brilliant concept, implemented in Logic many years ago - and hardly developed since then.

2. procreative

procreative Senior Member

Mar 12, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Indeed and the built in Articulation IDs are what ArtzID a Midi FX Script by Peter Schwartz utilises.

3. Vik

Vik Senior Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Sure. I have seen some discussions aboutArtzID (eg in this thread: https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=125203 ) and I don't know how artzID and Cubase Expression Maps compare in terms of number of needed steps/user friendliness and all that.

4. jonathanwright

jonathanwright Senior Member

Jul 7, 2011
    London
    Apologies for the late reply, I've just returned from a trip away.

I've tried the 'empty artic' method (mainly using MIDI channels for KS) but I always appear to get a reset to the first channel no matter what.

5. A.G

A.G Senior Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Bulgaria
    The best Articulation systems (Cubase Expression Maps & AG Logic Maps) display the Articulation Maps as a single text articulation names in the Piano Roll or in the Main Window which is essential to compose easily. Both systems offer custom Articulation Maps ordering (you can group the Maps as you wish, set Colors etc).

The Cubase/AG Map is a collection of Articulation assignments (Note, Program, Controller or MIDI Channel switching and other extra settings) which is triggered via a single message inside a DAW editor or via external MIDI device.
    AG Maps system works with the Apple Main Stage application as well.

Key Switching. It works with all DAWs however the articulations do not chase when you move back and forth and the Key Switches are destroyed when you transpose the track or the MIDI regions. The Key Switches are printed in the Score which is another problem.

Separate Tracks. That old fashioned method works as expected, however it takes lots of system resources and time to select and record music using ultra large templates.
    Another problem is that some DAWs are limited to a given number of Instrument tracks.

UACC. It is a regular CC32 system which is designed to work with all DAWs. It prevents the Key Switching issues (see above), however it does not display the Articulation names in the DAW timeline.
    Note: The UACC can be programed as Cubase/AG Maps which are shown as text Articulation names in the Cubase and the Logic Piano Roll editor (Logic: Main window multiple tracks articulation view).

Articulation Remote/External Control. The traditional Key Switching, Separate Tracks and the UACC use regular MIDI external/remote control.

Cubase Maps can be triggered externally via:
    • Key Switches
    • Program Change messages

AG Logic Maps can be triggered externally via:
    • Key Switches
    • Program Change messages
    • Control Change Messages

AG Articulation system comes with an unique iPad (Lemur) workstation. The goal is that you can teleport the Articulation Maps (Articulation Names, Group Names & Colors, Instrument Patch Name) and create an iPad Articulation control layout + mixer controls (CC assignments) automatically.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  6. Peter Schwartz

Peter Schwartz Senior Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Thanks for the mention, Vik. Being that the thread you linked to is now pretty old, I'd like to suggest that anyone interested in learning about SkiSwitcher or ARTzID should visit the SkiSwitcher website to read about its capabilities and latest features.

I've never used Cubase or its expression maps, but I've been told by many customers that my systems offer more flexibility than expression maps. (Some of them have even said that they're better than expression maps. OMG!) As I said, I wouldn't know myself. But what I can absolutely vouch for is that both SkiSwitcher or ARTzID embed articulation information into every note, so there's never any mistracking of articulation switching. Furthermore notes in octaves or chords can each sound with their own individual articulation.

Both systems support the one-instrument-per-track approach, but at the same time they don't lock anyone out from using the one-articulation-per-track approach when that proves to be the best method for realizing a particular part.

Vik likes this.
  7. babylonwaves

babylonwaves Senior Member

May 9, 2015
    And while you're at Peter's website checking out his articulation switcher, make sure that you also check out mine. It supports a mix of single and multitrack configurations and UACC is embedded so, if you like, you can use it for EVERY instrument - even those which were not produced by Spitfire.
    Art Conductor a bit smaller and simpler and gets the job done fast: www.babylonwaves.com - now isn't that a great row of advertisement we got going here? But seriously, there are a couple of solutions for Logic users and they're all better than what Logic itself offers right now.

Vik likes this.