What's new

Keeping Up

Craig Sharmat

As Spud would often say everyone uses 10% of the course, it's just often a different 10%.

The great thing about teaching is it gives me a chance to look over lessons I had long since put in mothballs. Often each lesson could be used as a lifetime study if one wanted to delve into all the possibilities.

When I am not too slammed I sometimes get to join my students and will do the lesson along with them creating my own piece. Often I like the student examples better than my own original ones so to do it again is a nice bonus.

Here is a mockup using all scale (#11) melodic minor for you non EIS'ers watching at home with 2 bars near the end going to (#1/4+) major with a raised 4, then back to (#11) for the ending.

After doing happy jazz it's nice do something out but i wouldn't want to live this all the time.

http://scoredog.tv/DreadfulV.1.mp3

Farkle

Very dark and moody, Craig, nice work!!

It definitely summons up that Bernard Hermann Psycho-tension cue (that scale #11 puts it right in that flavor), but the progressions are much more advanced and gritty.

Just very cool, Craig, thank you for sharing!

Mike

OP
Craig Sharmat

Craig Sharmat

Yeah, this is a light happy piece even though it appears to be dark... 8)

careyford

Hey Craig, this is fun! Thanks for posting it. I've been enjoying your jazz albums on my latest road trip. Also, your comment "spending a lifetime on a single exercise" really hit home. I'm back studying with Tom and at the end of book VI. I wrote enough material for a whole opera in the Polytonal Diagram 6 realization. :o

Might have been a little much for a lesson though. :oops:

Best,
Richard

Top Bottom