What's new

Keep Reaper or move to Cubase Artist 10? (Opinions on Cubase Artist?)

Kurosawa

With the incredible discount going on at Steinberg, I am currently thinking about moving over, from Reaper to Cubase Artist 10.

But by having a very tight budget at the moment, I can't justify paying the full 289 € for Cubase 10 Pro.
And that's where my problem lies. Having the fear of experiencing a big downgrade feeling coming from Reaper to Artist.
On the other hand I think of buying Artist now and take advantage of this rare discount and probably upgrading to Pro later in the future (for 10.5 or 11 maybe).

How is Cubase Artist? Do you miss important features for MIDI composing in it? Should I go for it or stay with Reaper?

I tested the Cubase Elements Trial and was pleased by it, but by having no dongle I can not test Artist.

averystemmler

I don't want to say no, because Cubase is a fine DAW and everyone is different. But as someone who transitioned mostly from Cubase Pro to Reaper last year, I'll say that I can't see the benefit of moving from Reaper to a limited version of Cubase.

Are there any specific features you want from Cubase?

OP
Kurosawa

Kurosawa

Not in particular, as Expression Maps are only in the Pro version of Cubase. Otherwise I am liking the UI and the options for MIDI editing.

But now I think I should invest the money probably better into some sampled content or something in this area.

averystemmler

By default, I definitely prefer Cubase's UI and midi editing tools too, but you can make some pretty remarkable improvements to both of those things with some of the scripts and themes available for Reaper. Reapack (and the community at large) is a great source for some really creative tools that I've never seen in another DAW.

As for Expression Maps: if you haven't already, check out "Reaticulate" by @tack, as he's known on this forum. It's in alpha (I think?), but it already does everything I ever used Expression Maps for, and in a more convenient interface.

Top Bottom