Kawai VPC1

Baron Greuner

Any of you using this keyboard. As I understand it, it's a master midi keyboard with no onboard sounds of it's own.
Any of you had and trouble with the keybed? Any knocking when pressing a key after a short period or is everything hunky dory?
What's the action like?

TintoL

That keybed is the best in the markey. Only probably the mp11 can be a bit better with the new action. Apparently is lighter.

To give you my experience. I used it for about 3 years and it felt like my steinway.it even smells like a piano with the wooden keys. Then my basement went on fire. All burned EXCEPT THE VPC WHICH WAS THE ONLY THING THAT SURVIVED. I am still replacing it. I checked again most of what is on the market and still is the best to me. The only downside is that it is too tall for a desk.

I hope that helps

Last edited:

mickeyl

Dr. Mickey Lauer
Do you solely use it for piano-type sounds or also for strings, woodwinds, percussion, etc.? If so, does the "weightedness" get somewhat in the way or is it still what you'd expect?

Jdiggity1

Do you solely use it for piano-type sounds or also for strings, woodwinds, percussion, etc.? If so, does the "weightedness" get somewhat in the way or is it still what you'd expect?
To me, it is the closest emulation of a real grand piano I have played. Nothing beats it for piano work, but synths and organs certainly benefit from something more nimble.

OP
Baron Greuner

Baron Greuner

Cheesus Tinto, hope everything has worked out for you now and you are back on your feet after the fire, including the Steinway!

Yes gents, the action sounds good for the piano and you have also covered the next issue, which of course is what about other instrument sounds.

TintoL

Baron, well,the whole scenario will actually work on my favor. Now, I didn't have my steinway in Canada. Ha-ha... I can not use it is in my home country.

One thing is that I do not like using a whole 88 key for sequencing on a daw. Most drums and percussion is mapped to the far left lower octaves. And also, the VPC is so high that I got an adjustable height electrical desk to deal with the height.

Also, because the keybed is so piano like and heavy I get tired of making percussion lines for example.

I have a 60 key for daw and vpc1 for piano

Last edited:
I listened up to the MP-11 also but wasn't quite sure about the standard of the onboard sounds.
I have the "one step down" mp-7 and I think that some of the bread and butter sounds for keys are really good.
The synth, strings etc. are usually very generic and so they sound ok, but nothing like I would use.
The MP-11 has some reduced number of sounds but I believe the key section is similar to the mp-7

I played a bit with the keybed on the mp-11 which is indeed a step up, but also in weight and since I need my piano to move to gigs at times its too heavy.

Also: the mp-11 has pitch bend and mod wheel( and a very good precise one) that the mpc-1 lacks.

Choices, choices.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I feel stuck deciding to buy either the Kawaii VPC1, or another one like the Doepfer. I wish to record piano passages, possibly some rhodes and organ too, and also a lot of other VST (orchestral, synths).

Before I've used two different Numa Keyboards, but both ended up in having at least one key dead! (which is obviously a very bad circumstance for any pianist) So I rather wont buy anything Fatar again. Especially as also the workmanship seems to be only descent too - at least for such expensive hardware.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
-Frederic

Jdiggity1

Hey Guys,

I feel stuck deciding to buy either the Kawaii VPC1, or another one like the Doepfer. I wish to record piano passages, possibly some rhodes and organ too, and also a lot of other VST (orchestral, synths).

Before I've used two different Numa Keyboards, but both ended up in having at least one key dead! (which is obviously a very bad circumstance for any pianist) So I rather wont buy anything Fatar again. Especially as also the workmanship seems to be only descent too, for such expensive hardware.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
-Frederic
VPC1 is fantastic as a piano keybed, but as a consequence it's a bit heavy for nimble organ/rhodes/synth passages. A doepfer/studiologic will be a better "all purpose" keyboard.

proxima

Hey Guys,

Before I've used two different Numa Keyboards, but both ended up in having at least one key dead! (which is obviously a very bad circumstance for any pianist) So I rather wont buy anything Fatar again. Especially as also the workmanship seems to be only descent too - at least for such expensive hardware.
My experience may be significantly worse than average, but for what it's worth, I went through one MP10 and one MP11 before getting one that didn't have stuck keys on arrival. The MP11 I have gets occasionally slow keys, and I just took it apart this weekend to replace the little teflon pads on two keys that get pushed aside over time, exposing a very sticky part of felt. One of the keys is still a little slow, and I suspect it may have some of the sticky material on the hammer part that I need to clean off.

Bottom line, I would not bet on having zero problems with the action over time. A surprising number of my slightly off keys feel fine after several months, probably the result of changing humidity. But I'm greatly disappointed that at any given time, I can point to a few keys that aren't quite right.

Thanks for your input guys! To update on the usage type; actually I use the piano like all the time for composing music etc, as most material (also symphonic) origins from piano improvisation. So yea, the action is quite important.

Still, my biggest issue with the VPC1 is that it's so super chunky! I mean the expensive Fatar Numa Keyboards are already more than heavy, but this one seems to win the cake!
Any ideas on that issue? Does it work for you to sort of "inbuild" it in your studio desk? Or are you even putting it on top of your desk, with leaving the pc display in the middle, and the mastering speakers left and right? Actually I would like to put my HS80M on top. I just saw a video of a guy who heavily changed his desk, so the "halve piano" can fit in nicely.

PS: if there should be more interesting ones than the keyboards already mentioned, please let me know. But IMO it has to be a master keyboard only. Plug and play around with inbuild instrument patches sounds like fun, but possibly isn't needed for a device that only plays in my studio, but please correct me if I should be wrong!

Thanks!
-Frederic

Matt Riley

I have the MP-11 and it is the very best piano like action I have ever played on a keyboard. And I did a lot of research and played a lot of keyboards including Roland RD–2000, MP7, and VPC-1 before purchasing this one used. It has better action than some real pianos I have played. My only complaint is that it sometimes doesn’t send note-off messages to Logic when the same note is played again softly. As You can imagine, this can be really annoying.It’s also very heavy but that isn’t a problem because I don’t gig and it just sits on my desk.

Like I said, I tried the VPC-1 but I found the action to be too heavy.

@Matt Riley

Do you refer to missing aftertouch? Would be surprising for a keyboard out of that price range.

Speaking off; I am afraid the MP11 is a bit overkill, resp. above my budget. Did you guys tried the Doepfer keyboards? Just wondering, as they have been praised a lot.

Cheers!
-Frederic

Matt Riley

@Matt Riley

Do you refer to missing aftertouch? Would be surprising for a keyboard out of that price range.

Speaking off; I am afraid the MP11 is a bit overkill, resp. above my budget. Did you guys tried the Doepfer keyboards? Just wondering, as they have been praised a lot.

Cheers!
-Frederic
No I wasn’t talking about the aftertouch but rather note-off signals. I don’t miss aftertouch at all though because I do not use it in my composition process.

Matt Riley

It is intended to emulate the action on a Piano. It actually has a Grand Piano keys (same size and action). If you're not used to that you will feel its heavy.
Every piano is different. Some have heavy action and some have light action. This one emulates a piano with heavy action. I didn’t like it at all personally and would never buy a piano with that heavy of an action. The MP11 on the other hand is perfect for me.

proxima

No I wasn’t talking about the aftertouch but rather note-off signals. I don’t miss aftertouch at all though because I do not use it in my composition process.
Could this in any way be related to my problem here? I haven't had an issue with stuck-on notes, but I do sometimes have a problem with notes not being assigned an articulation id for reasons I haven't figured out yet.