Kawai sampled piano

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by CGR, Nov 6, 2018.

1. CGR

CGR Pianist/Composer/Arranger

Jan 14, 2016
    Australia
    Just checked this out today - The Basilica Pianos v1.3 - Grand Piano:
    https://www.michaelpichermusic.com/the-basilica-pianos
    It's a Kawai RX7 grand piano sampled pedal down & pedal up and does a nice job in the free Plogue sforzando cross-fading between the sample sets. Very basic GUI, but don't let that put you off - it's a really nice 'up-front' cleanly sampled piano. There's also a Kawai upright piano sold separately, or as a bundle with the Grand piano.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    chasmanian and Michael_Picher like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    CGR

Jan 14, 2016
    Australia
    Really impressed with this piano. It has a solid hammer attack and a full resonance which is missing in many other sampled pianos costing much more. It really comes to life with some compression/saturation & reverb. Here's some simple chord progressions sustaining so you can hear the tone (reverb used is Valhalla Room). The key action/mechanism sounds you can hear are adjustable, as are the pedal noises.

Attached Files:

3. chapbot

chapbot omnivore

Feb 7, 2017
    That does sound quite good, and I think your demo here sells it much better than the website that's selling it! Inexpensive, too.

CGR likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    CGR

Jan 14, 2016
    Australia
    I could hear its potential from the website demos, downloaded the free demo version (limited to a few octaves) and knew straight away it was one to grab. On sale at the moment too. It's Kawai's answer to the Yamaha C7, and a great alternative for that full 'upfront' sound. Expressive enough to let you pull back and go softer also:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    chasmanian likes this.
  5. slobajudge

slobajudge Senior Member

Mar 23, 2016
    Yeah, I also try demo, and like you said it really comes to life with some external reverb. I like it. It is excellent alternative for low specs systems and sounds very good. Little less on character side but for that price is unbeatable and reliable on first testing.

chasmanian and CGR like this.
  6. LHall

LHall Senior Member

May 5, 2005
    Music City
    I'm fortunate enough to own and record on a beautiful Kawai RX7. It is a gorgeous piano. I'll look forward to checking this out.

7. slobajudge

slobajudge Senior Member

Mar 23, 2016
    Eh, lucky you, I am looking forward for your opinion about it. Nothing better than real acoustic near digital sample for clear decision.

chasmanian likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    CGR

Jan 14, 2016
    Australia
    Nice one! They are a very impressive piano. I played a Shigeru Kawai SK6 a few years ago that was stunning. Interested to hear your thoughts on the comparison of the Basilica Kawai RX-7 to the real thing.

9. LHall

LHall Senior Member

May 5, 2005
    Music City
    It will be sometime next week, but I'll record some things on both and post the results. So far I'm really liking the Basilica.

slobajudge and CGR like this.
  10. Pantonal

Pantonal Senior Member

Nov 9, 2017
    The last thing I needed was another piano, but for $27 why not? What a find! This piano is awesome! It's very playable and responsive. It makes my old Yamaha P-60 feel like a responsive piano. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Move over Garritan CFX.

CGR likes this.
  11. chasmanian

chasmanian Senior Member

Sep 14, 2016
    thank you CGR.
    your audio clips are so awesome.
    I have tried the demos.
    I really like the Upright, and am definitely getting it.
    just love the sound.

CGR and slobajudge like this.