What's new

Kali LP-6 studio monitors - your opinion ...?

ManicMiner

in the Skylab landing bay
Looking at getting a pair of Kali LP-6 ~$300.
There are a few videos on Youtube about a hiss/noise issue.

Kali were open about this and say they've fixed it in their new batch and encouraged buying from a licensed dealer.
However, the hiss videos on YT, there are 3 in the past two months. Granted these are from abroad and possibly they got an earlier batch.

But just wondering what you guys think about the LP6 (or maybe you want to suggest something else in this price range)?

TigerTheFrog

Amateur
I love these speakers and have had no issue with noise. I have the white ones, which are only came out recently.

In the manual, they say to use TRS cables. While you can hook them up with unbalanced TS cables, they are more susceptible to noise. Is it possible that some of the people who experienced noise connected the speakers with unbalanced cables?

OP
ManicMiner

ManicMiner

I love these speakers and have had no issue with noise. I have the white ones, which are only came out recently.
In the manual, they say to use TRS cables. While you can hook them up with unbalanced TS cables, they are more susceptible to noise. Is it possible that some of the people who experienced noise connected the speakers with unbalanced cables?
I watched a YT video by "In the Mix" and he was saying that Kali admitted to a noise issue but it had been fixed in newer batches. Iwas wondering if TRS cables come with the speakers, evidently not.

OP
ManicMiner

ManicMiner

I went ahead and bought a pair (black) LP-6, direct from Kali today.
I am sure the batch that had the hiss/noise issues has gone. They identified the issue, and told me that I should only buy from them and authorized dealers.
The noise/hiss vidoes on YT although recent, look like they are in a foreign country, and perhaps the old batch are out there.

OP
ManicMiner

ManicMiner

Can I ask a question? My Kali speakers are arriving tomorrow. They have an RCA in as well as the TRS in and XLR in.
My soundcard has got RCA outs, and my current speakers (which I am ditching tomorrow) have RCA inputs only.
With the Kali's - is it OK to go with just RCA-to-RCA, or is RCA-to-TRS better ?

TigerTheFrog

Amateur
Can I ask a question? My Kali speakers are arriving tomorrow. They have an RCA in as well as the TRS in and XLR in.
My soundcard has got RCA outs, and my current speakers (which I am ditching tomorrow) have RCA inputs only.
With the Kali's - is it OK to go with just RCA-to-RCA, or is RCA-to-TRS better ?
The Kalis have dipswitches on the back. If the 8th one is pushed up, it will be set up for RCA inputs.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you will improve much by getting an RCA to TRS cable. If you ever can trade up to a new audio interface, like a Focusrite, that might be better.

RCA.jpg

There's a chart on the back of the speakers that shows how to set up the dipswitches so they fit with your setup. This is one of the features that makes these speakers sound so good, in my opinion. Other speakers in this price range aren't as easy for amateurs to set up.

Kali_LP6_02-aXLIH4k19hgw2BJvISqqezIo5wqphoBx.jpg

OP
ManicMiner

ManicMiner

The Kalis have dipswitches on the back. If the 8th one is pushed up, it will be set up for RCA inputs.
I could be wrong, but I don't think you will improve much by getting an RCA to TRS cable. If you ever can trade up to a new audio interface, like a Focusrite, that might be better.
Thanks,appreciate it.
I'm going to test the hiss/noise issue. I got a black pair but direct from Kali so I think I should be good. I gather the hiss noise comes when the speaker is idle for a few moments (?)
Apparently their noise issues came with them using Class D Amps, I heard somewhere.
With the newer batch I think they upgraded those.

Regarding a newer interface, I was looking at the Focusrite actually, but have become more interested in the Audient id14.

TigerTheFrog

Amateur
Regarding a newer interface, I was looking at the Focusrite actually, but have become more interested in the Audient id14.
I think this would be a great move, as the Audient has XLR balanced outputs. I got cables that went from the 1/4" on my Focusrite to XLR.

If you have hiss, you will never be able to test whether the problem is unbalanced cables unless you borrow an interface or buy yourself a new one. I haven't had my Kalis long, but so far I have never experienced any issues with hiss.

OP
ManicMiner

ManicMiner

EDIT: Just having read the troubleshooting, it does say that if you are using RCA "be aware that these connections are unbalanced and therefore prone to picking up" noises, hissing, hums, crackles etc.
So, I'll have to get hold of a sound card that has balance and test it out properly.

Just got my Kali LP6's today. I do hear a background electrical noise. I recorded what type of noise I am getting below.
Actually when the volume is turned down all the way in Windows and I press the Scroll Page Down button or move a webpage up, I do get a auidble burst of interference.
Here's the noise:

I am using just an inexpensive sound card, the Behringer UM2.
There is a Focusrite at work, I might try that and see if I get better results.
edit:
and this is the noise I get when I press the Page Up key on a webpage in Chrome, even with volume turned right down (each squish noise is a keypress!) :

I am sure there is interference somewhere. I checked if any audio cables were crossing power cables, and they're not , they're completely free.

Last edited:
OP
ManicMiner

ManicMiner

I got hold of a focusrite with a balanced TRS to XLR cable out.
Sounded much better.
I can't hear a hiss/crackle from my seat here.
However, when I put my ear right up to the speaker I do still hear a background hiss although much quieter.
I can't expect total silence right, there should be at least a little noise there?
(sorry for the newb question, its my first studio monitors)

Top Bottom