1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Justice League

Discussion in 'Soundtracks Discussion' started by Consona, Oct 27, 2017.

1. gsilbers

gsilbers Part of Pulsesetter-Sounds.com

2. NoamL

NoamL Senior Member

Jul 6, 2015
  3. MrLinssi

MrLinssi A glorified bedroom musician.

Oct 1, 2016
    Finland
    The comment section on that video is hilarious...But that sounds nothing like Junkie XL.

NoamL likes this.
  4. Darren Durann

Darren Durann Senior Member

Aug 10, 2017
    My s.o. took me to see it. Wow, bad. The score was fine for the movie, but I wonder if the general suck of the film itself didn't exactly do the score any favors. It was a bad movie to begin with, and Elfman must have had some idea of that when he started writing. DC has gone wrong dizzyingly fast imo. Not in anywhere near a hurry to see the upcoming Batman, Aquaman, or GLC, and after Man of Steel I was.

I lay no fault with Elfman, every composer has to score a bad film sooner or later. Rozsa had some glaring examples (check out, or actually please don't check out the movie "Sodom and Gomorrah"...however, don't hesitate to buy the Tadlow re-recording of the score, absolutely brilliant!). He just did his best to make it better.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  5. NoamL

NoamL Senior Member

Jul 6, 2015
    The press is now speculating that the breakeven point for JL might be 650 or 700 million which means it could lose... a lot of money.

Man, Aquaman is so dead. It's sad because the movie just finished shooting and there's no chance at all to save its box office performance, regardless of how good or bad it is on its own merits. I always thought the Aquaman movie was the best chance for DCU to introduce a new character people care about but now... Someone on Twitter put it best. Who would go see Aquaman when 2018 has Black Panther and Deadpool 2, and the new Avengers? It's not a contest. Aquaman's audience was always going to be a subset of the people who watched Justice League. Instead of giving Aquaman a soft launch, JL is actively hurting the prospects of all followup movies except Wonder Woman 2.

The new Batman movie is toast I think. If Warner does end up having the gumption to recast mid-universe, Affleck is who will go not Cavill (although - should be both).

Black Panther looks amazing from the trailer. I think it will be huge. If Marvel stumbles anytime soon I think it will be with the new Ant Man movie that has Evangeline Lilly in it.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  6. MrLinssi

MrLinssi A glorified bedroom musician.

Oct 1, 2016
    Finland
    I wonder how many bad movies does it take for DC to realize that they are doing pretty much everything wrong? :whistling:

7. OP
    OP
    Consona

Consona Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    That's why I love it. No MCU type drama demolished by a stupid joke scenario. Plus I rewatched MoS and BvS and those films are just magnificent.

So, I've seen JL twice already and... Where the **** is the Snyder's cut?! Whedon's version is so disjointed, reshoots and rewrites have really bad and cringy dialogues, some really disgusting jokes and some new scenes were just needless. The movie was too short to tell any kind of story (WB's fault). The only things that saved the film for me were the actors in the roles of those characters, loved them, and some great action scenes, those underwater scenes, etc., enjoyed those tremendously. Otherwise this Whedon's version was a mess. I definitely want an hour longer Snyder's cut with a darker Cyborg arc, better dialogues, no stupid dishonorable jokes, with much more fleshed out story and characters and Junkie XL's music.

MoS and BvS were interesting, bold and epic masterpieces, JL theatrical cut was a harmless four-quadrant kids movie. WB being so intrusive is the worst thing that happened to DCEU. Forcing filmmakers to cut down the movie's footage by a large amount so it destroys the story, letting trailer making studio to cut the movie, forcing writers to pen the whole movie in two weeks, it's crazy. BvS, SS, JL... hope they'll learn from all of this.

This picture, man... Good old DCEU Snyderverse days. :grin: :inlove:
    [​IMG]

8. ranaprathap

ranaprathap Senior Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Watched the movie today. I enjoyed it. I think they got a lot of things right this time. It is not perfect and it is certainly no "Wonder Woman". But there were many fun moments. And that was precisely what was missing from MOS and BVS in my opinion - fun as someone already pointed out.

I know the dark and twisty Snyder way of doing things can be appealing to people, but it is not a popular opinion considering the way those movies were received.

Regarding the score the best I can describe it is "forgettable". But it is not fair that we demand all movies should have a good memorable score. It's film music. It's job is to support the film and I think in JL the score did OK in that regard.

I understand its possible to score a film, where the music can stand on its own I still listen to a lot of cues from interstellar or wonder woman (I adore Trafalgar Celebration). But that doesn't mean every score has to be like that.

The anguish here has been mostly due to how JL score spoiled a reasonably coherent DC cinematic universe thematic consistency. I understand the place where it comes from, but I do not think the score of JL was thematic. It could have been, but its not. So the thematic consistency is not spoiled, according to me, its just not there.

9. NoamL

NoamL Senior Member

Jul 6, 2015

Well @Consona , I am non-sarcastically glad that you got to enjoy several movies in the style you wanted.

Snyder is admirable for making movies the way he wants. Few directors' work is so recognizable and even when people diss him with lines like "Snyder's videogame-cutscene aesthetic" they're recognizing he has something distinct. My only problem with his style is that I don't like it.

10. SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher Senior Member

Jan 23, 2014
    England
    Hans in that picture looks like someone who has stuck a 'Kick Me' sign on their backs and is waiting for them to notice.

11. SterlingArcher

Jan 23, 2014
    England
    Just the themes that he created I'll bet.

Mr. Ha likes this.
  12. SterlingArcher

Jan 23, 2014
    England
    Pretty much the same with Michael Bay.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  13. OP
    OP
    Consona

Consona Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011

Superman's resurrection scene with Hans' music... Omg, it's so beautiful and fitting. :inlove:

dcoscina and Grizzlymv like this.
  14. Grizzlymv

Grizzlymv Senior Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Canada
    So good indeed!!

15. EpicDude

EpicDude Senior Member

Jan 5, 2016
    A lot of people worship Danny Elfman but they have to admit he was a bad choice for Justice League. I'm a bit upset because he didn't follow HZ/JXL established theme but what makes me really angry is that the score isn't even good, it doesn't sound epic or powerful.

Mr. Ha likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    Consona

Consona Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    After watching all those "deleted" Snyder's scenes, I'm so glad Hans and Junkie were not part of what WB did to this film. I got teary-eyed just from watching that short clip where Clark enters the Kryptonian ship to get his suit. The visuals, the atmosphere, the pacing, that look on Cavill's face (and I don't mean there's not that insane moustache removal CGI), the symbolism where he turns away from the black suit and his face leaves the shadows and enters the light, the music, it was fantastic. My heart was racing, this was exactly what I wanted and WB ordered to cut, rewrote and reshot all this great stuff and replace it was cringy and jokey Superman.

The insane this is, in JL, Snyder made exactly the Superman people always wanted, regal, optimistic, majestic, happy, charming, and what WD did? Swapped it for that cheap jokes bloke version. All the Snyder's fantastic visuals and CGI swapped for the Whedon's horrible smear (seriously go find the comparison of the shots, it's crazy), they cut all those interesting and emotional scenes out just to insert so many cringy dialogues and scenes and needless subplots, made characters bland, even CiarĂ¡n Hinds said how unhappy he was with what they did to his villain, they took out all the substance and made it a pseudo-MCU movie. Not to forget Elfman's music did not resemble HZ and JXL's DCEU stuff at all. And day after day after day more details about the Snyder version come out so I'm getting more and more and more mad and frustrated. This was one of the most mishandled big budget movies ever and since I loved MoS and BvS UE so much, I think they basically destroyed what could have been the best CBM trilogy. I can't believe they had the audacity to put "directed by Zack Snyder" in the titles. I hope, some day, we'll get the Snyder cut. JL was my most anticipated movie...

17. Hans-Peter

Hans-Peter Senior Member

How weird then that everything you stated does not apply to me nor to anyone else I know in my surroundings (music academics and pro composers/media-/game producers). Hmm ... while it's ok that you may think so, it's perhaps time to look beyond the edge of that plate - before stating your assumptions? People appear to be split about the movie, which indicates that some may have enjoyed it as is.

18. Grizzlymv

Grizzlymv Senior Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Canada
    Well, I did not enjoy it at all. I liked the previous two, but this one was just a waste of time and money to me. The movie wasn't fun. There's not even a single memorable scene. The music is very generic too. I mean, No problemes with Elfman taking over Junkie XL. I would have hoped for him to re-work in his style, the thematic material from the previous 2 movies to keep consistancy, but he was against it. Then fine, but I would have thought that, after making so strong arguments about the importance on relying on the classic themes, that the score would be built around them, but no. They just barely make one or two quick appearance and that's it. So you end up with music that have NOTHING related to this universe, and almost nothing related to the classic themes...what for? I don't get it. I don't remmeber a single bit of music from this movie, nor a key scene where there was some kind of emotional connection. There's even some fan made re-cut of key scenes from the movie rescored with material from the first 2 movies, and it elevate the action on screen so much because you're connected to those already. That what I was hoping for from Elfman's score. It felt like they wanted to get rid, at all cost, of anything related to Snyder's vision. Up to that point, they should have just trashed the whole movie altogether and start fresh with a reboot just as Marvel keep doing with Spiderman...

19. NoamL

NoamL Senior Member

Jul 6, 2015
    If you went back 8 months and told me that IT, Thor 3, and Jumanji would all outgross Justice League, I would have thought you were crazy.

20. EpicDude

EpicDude Senior Member

Jan 5, 2016
    The woodwinds make it sound like a fairy tale movie. Danny Elfman was a big mistake, period.