What's new

Just when I thought I was done with Reason....

So, I split the difference and went for the Rent to Own Program and got Algo. I feel like my parents in the 1970's putting things on layaway at Sears.

I haven't used Reason in almost 20 years.

IMO they should really rethink their commercial strategy and just release VST/AU virtual instruments to be used in other DAWs. Algorithm looks cool but, if I need Reason to use it, it's just not going to happen.

They obviously have solid DSP/UI know-how but Reason seems like ancient software at this point. It seems because it's not popular they will never be able to make the necessary investment to bring Reason up to date (scalable UI, etc).

I know they released the full reason to be used as a plugin, but I doubt there's much interest in that.

I know they released the full reason to be used as a plugin, but I doubt there's much interest in that.
Tons of interest. It's amazing. It basic turns Reason into what you are describing.

Algoritm is probably one of the best synths on the market right now. The Wavetable RE Expanse is probably one of the best wavetable synths ever created. Shit is just amazing really.

The DAW part of Reason has always been an after thought. Reason centers around the Rack which give you a gazillion modulation options. Having the Rack separated from the DAW is a dream come true.

If you've not used Reason in 20 years you're missing out on some stellar instruments and creative FX and some of the most advanced and intuitive Players which combine arps and sequencers in a way that spurs a lot of creativity. Creating a pattern in a Player then outputting that pattern to your DAW and developing it further. I've scored at least a dozen movies this just Reason and Cubase. That's why I have a hard time getting rid of it.

They are rethinking their marketing strategy. It's why I've gotten so nervous, but with the release of Algoritm, if it's any indication of what's to come in the near future, it's going to be a wild ride because that thing is remarkable.

My opinion as a new user of Reason (Reason rack essentially) is a thousand light years from yours.

Basically I was only interested in the Friktion synth, but to use it I absolutely needed Reason, so I took the smallest version to date, Reason Intro (today there are only the most expensive version available).
But after having experienced the Reason universe in a VST embeddable in my DAW, I wonder why the developers haven't done this sooner.
In fact I consider the Rack to be a kind of NI Kontakt with a modular interface, and it's really fun to create your own instrument by combining several modules and effects.
I don't regret the additional purchase I had to make to get Friktion, because the Reson Rack has so much to offer.

I'm just sorry about their new trade policy, which in my opinion will scare consumers away more than attract them.
Unless as said above, they have very good cards up their sleeve.

It basic turns Reason into what you are describing.
In fact I consider the Rack to be a kind of NI Kontakt with a modular interface, and it's really fun to create your own instrument by combining several modules and effects.
I don't know about other DAWs, but this is easily achievable in Ableton or Bitwig and has been for years. You can layer and combine any number of instruments and effects with macros and modulators into racks than can be saved as presets.

In the EDM world that mostly uses Ableton this is common practice. Not so much in the cinematic world where I think Cubase and Logic are more common.

There are even companies that sell presets of these racks such as Whole Loops.

This is why it would make much more sense to me to have the Reason instruments on their own as plugins instead.

Algoritm is probably one of the best synths on the market right now. The Wavetable RE Expanse is probably one of the best wavetable synths ever created. Shit is just amazing really.
Haven't used them but the demos sound good. Obviously Propellerheads know what they're doing.

My point is that (IMO) it would be easier for them to capitalize on that talent/effort if the instruments were available as VSTs.

Personally, I’m enjoying the Reason rack (I picked up the reason freebie a few months back). My main interest is in their uncommon midi tools. I have moved away from ableton live (but still am a big max for live fan!) and I think some reason devs are slowly making some midi tools that are scratching the max for live itch.

For anybody who has Reason 11 Standard and wants to upgrade to Suite while it's still available, https://www.jrrshop.com/propellerhead-reason-11-suite-upgrade (JRRShop has the upgrade for $174).

Hello fellow reason rack aficionado's. I got an email the other day letting me know that Robotic Beans was having a sale on some of their RE's. Big fan of theirs. While I 'harmlessly' browsed the Reason Studio site, I noticed that they make a physical modelling synth called Resonans. I think its a few years older and doesnt have the immediate 'wow' factor of something like Plasmonic, but you are able to use wave files (even your own) as impulses to excite the resonators. Kind of Kaivo-like without being able to 'granular-ize' the wave files. Using different wave files really can change the tonal character and depending on the source material, pitching the sample up and down can make a big difference too!

Anyway, just a heads up..... I think it may end up in my basket.....

Hello fellow reason rack aficionado's. I got an email the other day letting me know that Robotic Beans was having a sale on some of their RE's. Big fan of theirs. While I 'harmlessly' browsed the Reason Studio site, I noticed that they make a physical modelling synth called Resonans. I think its a few years older and doesnt have the immediate 'wow' factor of something like Plasmonic, but you are able to use wave files (even your own) as impulses to excite the resonators. Kind of Kaivo-like without being able to 'granular-ize' the wave files. Using different wave files really can change the tonal character and depending on the source material, pitching the sample up and down can make a big difference too!

Anyway, just a heads up..... I think it may end up in my basket.....
Let me know how you like it.

Hey Jose!

I do like it! Would I like it at the full asking price? Not sure about that. This is a bit older and lacks some of the bells and whistles of the Plasmonic and Kaivo, but sometimes I don't need their complexity, right? Thats where this seems to find its place. Can get that PM flavor without being buried under too many options. Oh, has an FM style 'resonator' as well.

Being able to use ANY wave file as an exciter, plus being able to route audio in to be the exciter is very fun (plus you can use both of those options together) and puts it a bit ahead of the Chromaphone and String Studio offerings from Applied Acoustics.

I've had fun making odd, experimental pads using the 'Lectric Panda free RE Rostnomo Random Synthesizer as and audio in exciter source.

I recommend it for sure, but at the regular asking price you may be able to get more sophisticated solutions nowadays.

I should point out that my 'harmless browsing' during that Robotic Beans sale led to the following 'accidentally' finding their way into my cart:

Resonans
PSQ 1684 Pulse Sequencer ('Lectric Panda)
Kompulsion Sequence Arpeggiator ('Lectric Panda)
Euclidean Rhythms
Sequences

I've developed quite a nice little collection of tools from Reason Studios. I'm really liking what I am seeing..... I haven't actually used Reason itself since like V5, so it seems very foreign to me. The VST rack in the DAW of choice is really great.

Top Bottom