What's new

Just thinking about a new studio build.... that time of year!

woodslanding

So I'm reading the passmark benchmarks from the top down, looking for the first cheap processor.... and I come to the Xeon 2690, listing at $395 these days. Turns out there are used ones for half this price on amazon. 14k on the benchmarks, and for $400 I could get 2. Sandy bridge, right?

I would plan to put all my storage on m.2 nvme ssds sitting on pcie cards. That's what I have in my current live rig, and it works great. Will this still work on the old lga 2011 boards? Or do they not support nvme?

The whole xeon v2 v3 thing is confusing me at the moment.... are they all compatible with the same motherboards?

Any other tech issues I'm missing? Is this a silly idea?

OP
woodslanding

woodslanding

Can't say for sure yet, but I get the feeling nvme is not a thing for this generation of mobo. And looks like the only boards that fit 2 of these are supermicro.... they show support for nvme on v3 boards, but seems pretty clear that you can't run a V1 xeon processor on a v3 board, right?

It's nice that the i7s changed socket numbering from gen to gen. Makes it a bit easier to keep track of.

Top Bottom