What's new

Just got Keyboard Maestro...what should I do with it?

Kent

sleepy member
Basically every composer I've ever done any work for in LA uses Keyboard Maestro, so I finally decided to get it myself.

Im interested to know what you all use macros for (with KM or any other macro program) to help speed up your workflow!

I use it for batch editing samples in pro tools. For instance you can make it tab to transient, go back a couple ticks, split clip, go forward a couple ticks, add fade in, and repeat that process 100 times.
I use it for tidying up clips on a timeline too, deleting the silence between clips but then adding in a custom amount of silence so they are all spaced equally.
Or you can be fancy and set up a plugin window like X-form and use the cursor location command to "click" a button after selecting a new clip and batch run plugin processes.

None of these are very 'fun' tasks, granted, but can be a big time saver if locked into using pro tools or another program that doesn't handle batch tasks very elegantly. I can just hit a command and let it do its thing for 20 minutes before i set it up for the next one.

I'm using it in post - setting up a hot key for the RX de-click module was a cool idea...

Time saved so far: 27 hours:)

I set up another macro for dynamic auto-aligning of audio tracks (boom-lavs) but I don't need that one anymore since I bought auto-align post plug-in...

I think you can come up with various advanced macros but I am really not an expert.... BTW, can't you just ask your fellow composers what do they use it for?

Would anyone be willing to share a detailed example of something simple (and applicable to various DAWs) of using Keyboard Maestro? I'd be interested in how it is used ... like for instance if you use it to Normalize a track, how do you get it to wait until that is done before doing another command?

Would anyone be willing to share a detailed example of something simple (and applicable to various DAWs) of using Keyboard Maestro? I'd be interested in how it is used ... like for instance if you use it to Normalize a track, how do you get it to wait until that is done before doing another command?

There's a number of ways you could achieve this. Looking for pixel values, an image, window name, etc.. There are lots of ways to 'pause' a macro when needed. For example I have a ton of KM macros for use with Pro Tools Audiosuite, where it waits for the progress bar to finish before moving on with the macro.

Another fantastic option with KM are the 'prompt for user input' options. I use these all the time.

FWIW, this video shows the largest/most complex macro I've created using KM as an 'assistant' of sorts when creating templates using VEPro where KM does 90% of the dreaded, dirty, monotonous, boring as hell work involved.

One example, I programmed Ctrl-uparrow, downarrow to move a automation node by one. I chose the node, click Ctrl-arrow and the mouse moves to the value box and changes by one. The window has to be in the vicinity of where you programmed the macro. I also have macros to shorten/lengthen notes by so many ticks. Instant legato.

I made a startup macro that connects to my remote midi MTC, opens cubase and connects my remote controllers, opens VEP and opens my template, logs into windows server and opens VEP, etc. It saves me 1 minute of minutia every morning when I start the day (I turn all my stuff off when I’m not at the studio to save power). And it feels so good!!

I found giving a second of pause between each step made the macros that interact with other software GUI stable. Also, the “zoom front window” feature… if you maximize a window full screen, the options and clickable menus in that window will always occupy the same pixel location on the screen no matter where you’ve moved them.

Keyboard Maestro is great. I've recently set up some macros to access the 'hide group' shortcuts in Logic, which enables you to have a 'cubase' like system where you can show, say, just the String tracks in your template (or Brass or whatever) with the click of a button. Very handy in a big template.

There's a number of ways you could achieve this. Looking for pixel values, an image, window name, etc.. There are lots of ways to 'pause' a macro when needed. For example I have a ton of KM macros for use with Pro Tools Audiosuite, where it waits for the progress bar to finish before moving on with the macro.

Another fantastic option with KM are the 'prompt for user input' options. I use these all the time.

FWIW, this video shows the largest/most complex macro I've created using KM as an 'assistant' of sorts when creating templates using VEPro where KM does 90% of the dreaded, dirty, monotonous, boring as hell work involved.

I think that is brilliant!
For the moment I just use KM for putting my folders and open programs in order on my screen :))

Keyboard Maestro is great. I've recently set up some macros to access the 'hide group' shortcuts in Logic, which enables you to have a 'cubase' like system where you can show, say, just the String tracks in your template (or Brass or whatever) with the click of a button. Very handy in a big template.
Can I ask how you did that?

Can I ask how you did that?
You just set up shortcuts for the different 'hide group' options in key commands for logic, and then with keyboard maestro, you have it set to hide all the other groups (it fires off multiple different key commands to hide all the other groups apart from the one you want to see). When you're done you hit the keycommand again and it 'unhides' the other groups. Or you can set another option in KM to 'unhide all' to get everything back.

Last edited:
Are you talking about Standalone or Plug-in?
As a plugin instance hosted in Logic.

I'm using KM to automate mouse clicks on the Kontakt window, but it only works when I have the window in the exact position on my screen. I'd like to create a shortcut that will place it where it needs to be automatically, but I think KM isn't recognizing the window, and instead moves the Logic windows, even when the Kontakt window is at the front and currently selected.

EDIT: I figured out a workaround with the "click at found image" action, though I'd rather use the "resize a window" action and have KM recognize the Kontakt window.

Last edited:
Top Bottom