What's new

Just Bought a Presonus Faderport 16

easyrider

Embracing the Absurd
Just Bought a Presonus Faderport 16. I was going to go for the Faderport 8 but thought YOLO :grin:

Midi control on the fly was another reason to get...So I can use it with my orchestral libraries for dynamics etc...

Can I still use my old Faderport alongside it for say the master fader?

If you have some pictures of your setup with one I would like to see them.

cheers!

Are you satisfied? I am about to buy it for the same reason (MIDI functionality).

How are the faders, any unwanted jumps? And does it support a feature like the old Faderport which lets you control the highlighted track with a fixed fader (lets say the first fader)?

Are you satisfied? I am about to buy it for the same reason (MIDI functionality).

How are the faders, any unwanted jumps? And does it support a feature like the old Faderport which lets you control the highlighted track with a fixed fader (lets say the first fader)?

Its not been delivered yet. I wanted any info setup advice before I get it.Hopefully tomo.

Can I still use my old Faderport alongside it for say the master fader?
Yes, I'm using the classic Faderport with the Faderport 8, works great! I only really use the Faderport 8 for Midi CCs and the classic FP for anything mixing/volume, so to save some space I just chucked one on to the other to make some sort of hybrid controller. :grin:
IMG_20200805_124425.jpg

Yes, I'm using the classic Faderport with the Faderport 8, works great! I only really use the Faderport 8 for Midi CCs and the classic FP for anything mixing/volume, so to save some space I just chucked one on to the other to make some sort of hybrid controller. :grin:
IMG_20200805_124425.jpg

Cool so in Midi Mode I can still have transport controls.Nice!:dancer:

I have the faderport 8 and I don't think I could live without it. It has made everything quicker and easier.
I know people use the single slider faderports with the faderport 8/16 just fine for like you said a master control. When you are in midi mode with the fader 16 you can use the other faderport for your transport controls if you want. In midi mode the transport functions don't work on the faderport 8 so I use my atom for transport when I'm in midi mode with it. One thing I like is that you can use dynamics and expression at the same time using two faders when in midi mode.

You already know how good the 1 slider faderport is for navigation, so having more sliders means less jumping around to locate the track. I definitely like having the 8 sliders. No room for the 16 though :(

I have the faderport 8 and I don't think I could live without it. It has made everything quicker and easier.
I know people use the single slider faderports with the faderport 8/16 just fine for like you said a master control. When you are in midi mode with the fader 16 you can use the other faderport for your transport controls if you want. In midi mode the transport functions don't work on the faderport 8 so I use my atom for transport when I'm in midi mode with it. One thing I like is that you can use dynamics and expression at the same time using two faders when in midi mode.

You already know how good the 1 slider faderport is for navigation, so having more sliders means less jumping around to locate the track. I definitely like having the 8 sliders. No room for the 16 though :(

Sounds good...I was looking at getting the Atom too down the line...have you used the Atom with say Damage or HZ percussion?

Sounds good...I was looking at getting the Atom too down the line...have you used the Atom with say Damage or HZ percussion?
I'm not a great finger drummer so I really can't say how good it is for drumming. It seems good to me, but I'd research it out. It is pretty cheap though especially compared to the faderport. I do use it for drums but I probably use it more as a controller. I use it to select instruments and the knobs for scrolling up and down and for when the faderport is in midimode since I don't have the single fader faderport like you do. The knobs can be set up easily to do controls on say a synth or something and are premapped on presounus stuff for the most part. They just came out with a new controller called Atom SQ or something like that, that I'd seriously consider if I didn't already have an atom. It's set up to better interact with the sequencer/ pattern stuff in studio one, and can also serve as a secondary (or portable) keyboard. I think edm people might even use it as a primary keyboard.

I'll change MIDI keyboards like socks but the two hardware items that are bolted to my desk are the RME Babyface Pro and the FaderPort 8, especially when PreSonus updated the firmware for MIDI CC control. The faders are so smooth and the dedicated buttons to clear all mutes and solos is more helpful that you would think. I wish the MIDI CC assignments to the faders were adjustable but given that this was a free firmware update, I can live with MIDI Learn. At least the PreSonus Dev team thought to put 1, 11 and 7 next to each other.

Then to REALLY make the deal sweet, yesterday I found a video where this fella shows how he controls Adobe Premiere with the FaderPort 8! I get three units in one out of this thing, wow. I had thought about a controller for the Premiere work I do but didn't want more space junk on my desk and a bigger hole in my checkbook. Kudo to PreSonus on that one!

If anyone has a FaderPort 8 or 16 and needs helps setting up MIDI CC, I did a post on that back in February; hopefully that can help.

Congrats, I've had a FaderPort 16 for a few months now (I use S1 v5 as my DAW) and, as expected, the integration with that DAW is excellent. It works great controlling various instruments and plugins I have (Spitfire and others, mostly Kontakt libraries). YOLO was also my primary motivation for the 16 vs the 8... :)

I find the faders to be well constructed, and the tactile feedback is great. For me, it's a much better experience exploring, for example, mic mixes with physical faders vs. clicking and dragging with the mouse.

I also have a Komplete Kontrol S61 mk 2 I use for some input and as a control surface, and that integrates nicely with the whole setup as well.

Congrats, I've had a FaderPort 16 for a few months now (I use S1 v5 as my DAW) and, as expected, the integration with that DAW is excellent. It works great controlling various instruments and plugins I have (Spitfire and others, mostly Kontakt libraries). YOLO was also my primary motivation for the 16 vs the 8... :)

I find the faders to be well constructed, and the tactile feedback is great. For me, it's a much better experience exploring, for example, mic mixes with physical faders vs. clicking and dragging with the mouse.

I also have a Komplete Kontrol S61 mk 2 I use for some input and as a control surface, and that integrates nicely with the whole setup as well.

Nice! I have a S61 Mk2 as well.....a pic of your setup would be good :)

I'll change MIDI keyboards like socks but the two hardware items that are bolted to my desk are the RME Babyface Pro and the FaderPort 8, especially when PreSonus updated the firmware for MIDI CC control. The faders are so smooth and the dedicated buttons to clear all mutes and solos is more helpful that you would think. I wish the MIDI CC assignments to the faders were adjustable but given that this was a free firmware update, I can live with MIDI Learn. At least the PreSonus Dev team thought to put 1, 11 and 7 next to each other.

Then to REALLY make the deal sweet, yesterday I found a video where this fella shows how he controls Adobe Premiere with the FaderPort 8! I get three units in one out of this thing, wow. I had thought about a controller for the Premiere work I do but didn't want more space junk on my desk and a bigger hole in my checkbook. Kudo to PreSonus on that one!

If anyone has a FaderPort 8 or 16 and needs helps setting up MIDI CC, I did a post on that back in February; hopefully that can help.
If I had a choice to grab a life preserver or the faderport 8 on a sinking ship, the faderport 8 would be the obvious choice.

I use Studio One and have just added a Faderport 8 & a Roland A88 mkII to my Atom. I'm in knob/fader/pad heaven! Gregor's video is a must-watch to get midi mode up and running on the FP.

Top Bottom