What's new

Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity (excerpt mockup)

Nice! SSW sounds pretty great here. Also you nailed the accelerando. Referenced a live track? ;)

I bet Spitfire Symphonic Strings will do a great job on the hymn part with the cellos.

Great to hear SSO doing something so light and agile (and not in Andy's hands). It just makes me more certain that it's the right choice for me in every regard... well, barring anything truly astounding on the 28th.

Great to hear SSO doing something so light and agile (and not in Andy's hands). It just makes me more certain that it's the right choice for me in every regard... well, barring anything truly astounding on the 28th.
Spitfire is totally capable of subtlety. I even added more reverb after already using the trees and ambients. You’ll never get a Disney-Pixar/Michael Giacchino type of sound with Spitfire, but they’re in no way muddy or less capable of detail. In my opinion they come closest to an out-of-the-box true orchestra sound.

Last edited:
Sounds great! I spent a good part of my weekend working on the same piece (mostly score study and trying to get parts on the piano) 😀. From a VI perspective, I was using the opening tune as an agility stress test for horn libraries (and checking lyricism in the hymn section).
Also... mocking up the shimmering strings in the beginning - just because.

Will be interesting to hear more of the piece - do you plan on continuing?

Last edited:
Sounds great! I spent a good part of my weekend working on the same piece (mostly score study and trying to get parts on the piano) 😀. From a VI perspective, I was using the opening tune as an agility stress test for horn libraries (and checking lyricism in the hymn section).
Also... mocking up the shimmering strings in the beginning - just because.

Will be interesting to hear more of the piece - do you plan on continuing?
It’s always a good time to study The Planets!

I most likely will do some excerpts from other pieces in the suite as well as other pieces in general.

Who’s Andy?

Spitfire is totally capable of subtlety. I even added more reverb after already using the trees and ambients. You’ll never get a Disney-Pixar/Michael Giacchino type of sound with Spitfire, but they’re in no way muddy or less capable of detail. In my opinion they come closest to an out-of-the-box true orchestra sound.

Interesting point, any thoughts on the best libraries to achieve a Pixar/Giacchino type of sound?

I think Giacchino's symphonic scores tend to have a lot of reliance on spot mics, or at least it sounds that way to me. Most anything that's on the drier side would probably work.
Yeah. The thing about Spitfire is that, because of the hall they use, they really don't even bother with trying to get a serious close mic sound. Their close mics really only serve to add some clarity to the other mics. Then again, this might be entirely false in their "studio" line, as opposed to their "symphonic" which is all I own by them. Does anyone know how Vienna or Berlin handles this kind of sound?

The thing about Spitfire is that, because of the hall they use, they really don't even bother with trying to get a serious close mic sound. Their close mics really only serve to add some clarity to the other mics.

I prefer that little bit of added close "definition" over what I find to be the horribly claustrophobic sound of recordings that heavily use spot sources. I'm frankly not a fan of the sound of much of Giacchino's recordings, or any that use that approach.

As you said above, SSO is definitely the most true-to-life sounding virtual option out there. Berlin is close behind, but I'm not familiar enough with OT's stuff to comment on how "close" Teldex can be.

Top Bottom