What's new

Junkie XL Is Making a BRASS Library

I'm surprised you guys are down on TH's music. He always struck me as a talented guy that got assigned to Super Epic projects and then elevated them. Check out some of the subtle string writing in Mad Max, or Brimstone. He seems to be music literate and a capable orchestrator.

On The Dark Tower he used 12 horns, 3 trumpets, 9 trombones and tuba.

A big section of Wagner tubas seems to be something that would be up his alley and hasn't been done to death by other developers.

I'm surprised you guys are down on TH's music. He always struck me as a talented guy that got assigned to Super Epic projects and then elevated them. Check out some of the subtle string writing in Mad Max, or Brimstone. He seems to be music literate and a capable orchestrator.

On The Dark Tower he used 12 horns, 3 trumpets, 9 trombones and tuba.

A big section of Wagner tubas seems to be something that would be up his alley and hasn't been done to death by other developers.

His percussion work in Mad Max is insanely good.

I'm going to add this thread to my watch list. I'm really interested in what he's going to come up with.

It sounds like it will take a while... sounds like it's not produced yet (which can take very long) and he also suggested it wont be available immediately after it is finished, basically custom first, then for the public. So I guess we should try to forget about it before we get to impatient. ;)

See Cinematic Studio Brass which everyone is expecting nervously. :shocked:

I hope it's exactly that. I hope I get this sound when I just press keys... out of the box. That would maaaaaad!!! :D :D :D

That a part of the Mad Max score is playing in the background gives me hope. ;)

Leave us epic peepz our fun, there are enough (MUCH MUCH more) options for classical brass and also upcoming libraries... Performance Samples (Angry Brass Pro), Strezov will surely also have brass as part of their Afflatus series.

The best thing would be both options, patches that sound more organic/classical and hyped epic patches (ala Mad Max sound).
That could well be what Tom has in mind already...

Talos Low Brass maybe?...

Talos Low Brass maybe?...
I think it's pretty close yea, also the Monster Low Brass patch from Cinesamples.

But there is always room for an even more epic (not necessarily louder) sound and I also expect mix ready patches. Even the epic libraries of recent times still need a lot of EQ'ing to my ears, when I listen to the sounds in demos and walkthroughs. So, based on his great mixes in Hans Zimmer Percussion it would be interesting to hear mix ready epic brass, designed by him.

Would love a real "pianissimo" layer for the solo horn. And make the loop points long (every 6 seconds).

I thought so.

Also, he should make a crazy epic brass library, what was I thinking, he's fricking J XL. :2thumbs:

Got brahmmz, brah?

I keep thinking there will be some score that will just be all elephant farts and then we'll never have to hear this stuff again.

if he did use cinebrass it was only for mockups.
the orchestra was recorded live.
Some of the strings may have been live.

Load up Cinebrass Pro Monster Low Brass, he used that all over the place. Not sure what exact library he used for his horns but based on that, it's probably the Cinebrass Pro 12 Horns.

You cannot mistake those low sustains between his score and the samples.

Got brahmmz, brah?

I keep thinking there will be some score that will just be all elephant farts and then we'll never have to hear this stuff again.

As long as Bass and Contrabass Trombonists like me live, I hope your dream never becomes true

Last edited:
He did say in one of his videos that he mixed live with samples - I might be wrong but think he also said he mixed brass with the sound of a motorbike revving in Mad Max

He did say in one of his videos that he mixed live with samples - I might be wrong but think he also said he mixed brass with the sound of a motorbike revving in Mad Max

Probably for those insane scoops he uses to emphasize the percussion. They don't sound 'possible'.

He did say in one of his videos that he mixed live with samples

Yeah he did. But that’s pretty much a standard practise throughout film composition and production at this point.

Didn’t know that about the engine and if that’s true, I reckon his Brass library will have some wickedly fun Sound Design elements to it. Well, I can only hope it does (on top of my hopes that it has many dynamic layers, a huge dynamic range, smooth cross fading between layers, separate players in position etc). :)

Didn’t know that about the engine and if that’s true, I reckon his Brass library will have some wickedly fun Sound Design elements to it. Well, I can only hope it does (on top of my hopes that it has many dynamic layers, a huge dynamic range, smooth cross fading between layers, separate players in position etc). :)
And a motorbike....:emoji_motorcycle:

Top Bottom