What's new

Junkie XL Brass?

Curious to know what the "purge" button is supposed to do? So far couldn't find any info yet.
(hoping it will help reducing the memory consumption just like Kontakt)

Dear sample friends! I love to read all the comments here! It takes me back in the day when I started to buy gear... please let me indulge you... So, things were way more expensive in the early 80’s. To buy a decent synth or sampler you needed at least 3000$ or more... So I would go from music shop to music shop... Internet was not a thing and hardware synth or sampler you could NOT download from your couch! Also every shop was or was not a dealer for a specific synth! One music store was a Yahama dealer eg dx7... others were Roland dealers eg Juno 106 or JP8... Others did Korg... Others did Kawai and so forth.... My super hard earned dollars were burning in my wallet! But what to buy? You collected brochures... went to live shows and talked to keyboards players... go to industry shows like Namm... or equivalents in the rest of the world... One box offered this But not That? Others offered That but not This? Aaaaggghhhh WHAT TO DO???

I went through this for years and years!

Let’s appreciate a few new things here for all of us before we buy anything;

WE HAVE INTERNET!!!!

We can listen to high quality demo’s
We can watch the plugin in action
We can watch tutorials
We can join forums to discuss
We can read online the features
We can enjoy how much cheaper everything is

Ok, those are the benefits now compared to 83

But!!!! The money you’re about to spend is your hard earned money! You made it on your own and your about to spend it on something!

You deserve the highest honor if you do so on any library! That company should really acknowledge your loyalty for doing so.

They should deliver top notch products with no failures. Or at least fantastic customer service! And keep you informed on updates.

In 82 the scrutiny on hardware synths and samplers were insane... Once you roll out it better be fucking perfect because there is no online firmware or software update...

In 2019 people tend to roll out stuff that shouldn’t be released in the first place...

Sure, let’s take all our first buyers as guinny pigs or beta testers and lets see from there.... that’s NOT the way forward

Long story short;

I admire the brutal criticism on this forum! Hell yeah! Its your hard earned hundreds of dollars! I would be too!

I also admire the love of fans from the start! It’s your hundreds of dollars too!

All I can say is that I put all the energy I had to make this a stellar library for you guys!

I am a solid guy. The OT guys are rock solid guys.

We want to make you kings of brass writing! Kings of brass production!

We will be there with you all the time to improve our product! We listen to what say to make things better!

I’ve been interactive from the start to get your guys input and a lot of it is in here.

For starters join me coming monday 8am pst for a youtube live on my channel...

Ask any question and I will answer it with the whole library loaded for playback and show casing!

Whether you bitch or you love... to me you’re all the same! You’re passionate music lovers programmers composers! And your opinion matters!

But please... lets be happy its 2019 and not 1982!!

Big hug to you all!

Xxx

Tom

Dear sample friends! I love to read all the comments here! It takes me back in the day when I started to buy gear... please let me indulge you... So, things were way more expensive in the early 80’s. To buy a decent synth or sampler you needed at least 3000$ or more... So I would go from music shop to music shop... Internet was not a thing and hardware synth or sampler you could NOT download from your couch! Also every shop was or was not a dealer for a specific synth! One music store was a Yahama dealer eg dx7... others were Roland dealers eg Juno 106 or JP8... Others did Korg... Others did Kawai and so forth.... My super hard earned dollars were burning in my wallet! But what to buy? You collected brochures... went to live shows and talked to keyboards players... go to industry shows like Namm... or equivalents in the rest of the world... One box offered this But not That? Others offered That but not This? Aaaaggghhhh WHAT TO DO???

I went through this for years and years!

Let’s appreciate a few new things here for all of us before we buy anything;

WE HAVE INTERNET!!!!

We can listen to high quality demo’s
We can watch the plugin in action
We can watch tutorials
We can join forums to discuss
We can read online the features
We can enjoy how much cheaper everything is

Ok, those are the benefits now compared to 83

But!!!! The money you’re about to spend is your hard earned money! You made it on your own and your about to spend it on something!

You deserve the highest honor if you do so on any library! That company should really acknowledge your loyalty for doing so.

They should deliver top notch products with no failures. Or at least fantastic customer service! And keep you informed on updates.

In 82 the scrutiny on hardware synths and samplers were insane... Once you roll out it better be fucking perfect because there is no online firmware or software update...

In 2019 people tend to roll out stuff that shouldn’t be released in the first place...

Sure, let’s take all our first buyers as guinny pigs or beta testers and lets see from there.... that’s NOT the way forward

Long story short;

I admire the brutal criticism on this forum! Hell yeah! Its your hard earned hundreds of dollars! I would be too!

I also admire the love of fans from the start! It’s your hundreds of dollars too!

All I can say is that I put all the energy I had to make this a stellar library for you guys!

I am a solid guy. The OT guys are rock solid guys.

We want to make you kings of brass writing! Kings of brass production!

We will be there with you all the time to improve our product! We listen to what say to make things better!

I’ve been interactive from the start to get your guys input and a lot of it is in here.

For starters join me coming monday 8am pst for a youtube live on my channel...

Ask any question and I will answer it with the whole library loaded for playback and show casing!

Whether you bitch or you love... to me you’re all the same! You’re passionate music lovers programmers composers! And your opinion matters!

But please... lets be happy its 2019 and not 1982!!

Big hug to you all!

Xxx

Tom
This has got to be one of the best posts I've ever read on these forums. Some incredibly solid points here, and what you said about the brutal critcism is straight up commendable. Much love and respect, man.

Thank you! Everybody here on VI wants to see things get better! Its good for us composers and developers! The bar is high as it should be!

Xxx

I'm with Mike on this one, thanks for everything you do for the community, as a young kid trying to get into this world your tutorials have been a huge help and inspiration for years, and this library is keeping the bar held very high. Thank you!!

Just like the walkthroughs of the original did... if they indeed nailed it this time I would be all over an update for BB. This is just too many instruments playing at once.

Any chance you could extend the promo price a few days or a week for those of us who are on the fence and wanting to see a few reviews?

Whilst I agree this should have been the deal from the start, if they changed it now, that is going to annoy a lot of people who pre ordered (and rightly so).

I hope for that reason, that they dont.

How much of an overlap do you think JXLB is if you already have one or more of the following titles:: Berlin Brass, Cinematic Studio Brass, Infinite Brass, BBCSO, Caspian, HWB, Century Brass.

Please objective comments only....let´s discuss the positive aspects of our current libs compared to what we heard of JB, I think this could prove useful in the final stretch of the preorder campaign.

How much of an overlap do you think JXLB is if you already have one or more of the following titles:: Berlin Brass, Cinematic Studio Brass, Infinite Brass, BBCSO, Caspian, HWB, Century Brass.

Please objective comments only....let´s discuss the positive aspects of our current libs compared to what we heard of JB, I think this could prove useful in the final stretch of the preorder campaign.

I've got BBCSO and what I can tell you is that the brass library has very little dynamic range and the change between each layer is noticeable when it changes and can be very jarring. Having so few dynamic layers in a brass library is a very big negative, because you want those soft sounds as well as the very brassy ones. After using BBCSO for a bit now I actually dislike their player as well and how it's setup. From the JXLB walkthrough videos I can already see that working with it will be a lot easier for me. Once again function over form. A lot of tools developed in the Sine player which will help the end user.

So JXLB will definitely replace the brass section for sure. It really isn't even a competition in my opinion.

Last edited:

After the new video of hearing all the patches today, i went and compared it with spitfire symphonic brass, metropolis arks and CSB (with no post processing)

I had to make a few multis with SSB and mess with the three mic positions to get as close as i could to that punchy tone, it was quite close to the loud and soft dynamic of JXLB. its with the wet sound of the air hall so it already sounds a bit different already.

with the ark 1 sustains tone, it was 'similar', in terms of having having a soft pp and also a ripping ff dynamic, but the transitions between the layers aren't the best.

CSB has the smoothest transition between the dynamic layers but it still isnt as fff, even though CSB does go quite loud.

the BIGGEST difference i found was i could not mimic the dynamics from soft to loud like in that walkthrough.
The transition between the 5 dynamic layers in that video are as smooth as a babys arse.

While i could get close to the ppp and fff in isolation, its the movement of dynamics i could not mimic.
the closest for me is CSB though. (keep in mind i did not automate, just played live with the mod wheel, you could perfect the dynamics in any of those libs in automation)

so for me the biggest differences are:
-dynamic movement, the ppp to fff is phenomenal
-the sound of the room,
-the extra mics AND the mic merging ability (seriously amazing)
-having to learn/use the new sine player

JXLbrass is truly a great offering, well done OT and Tom.

I didnt bother and compare it to BBCSO because its not the same sound at all. (but i've heard your demos with it @staypuft and i dont know how you got it to sound so cinematic and not classical!)

Those mic positions in the new player are certainly worth the investment mic merge is simply a game changer,

It does give the impression that any other library that is developed for this player will have the same approach as this new brass library, so it will be nice to see what OT do with any old String library or are we to expect a new String library with a lot more mic positions as this seems to be the key that to the player.

What ever way you look at this it has pushed the boundary even further and gives the feeling we are entering a new age in sample recordings.

Top Bottom