What's new

Junkie XL Brass?

Agreed, I am kind of on the fence and not sure what I’ll do if the main Berlin collections go on sale for Black Friday. I’ve always wanted Berlin Brass/Strings/Woodwinds, but it does seem like JunkieXL Brass may be the bees knees.
This is just a guess (baseless speculation 😂) but Berlin Brass might be positioned as a complete Orchestral collection while JunkieXL is aimed at film scoring. But then Tom himself said he wants it to be for everyone. So who knows?

The way it stands and based on the infor that OT has thrown out there, I'd skip Berlin Brass regardless of BF specials, and just wait for the JXL Brass. I wish they can make it clear what is what.... but hey, that's the beauty of buying more unecessary libraries.

The way it stands and based on the infor that OT has thrown out there, I'd skip Berlin Brass regardless of BF specials, and just wait for the JXL Brass. I wish they can make it clear what is what.... but hey, that's the beauty of buying more unecessary libraries.
I highly doubt jxl will individually sample a classic brass setup. looks more like large sections that you might get multiple sections

i.e instead of trumpet 1 2 3 and 3a, it'll be more like trombone 12a, 6a, 3a, solo.

You may do well to skip Berlin Brass. I have it and can´t wait for JXL Brass because I am having such a hard time with Berlin Brass. It just sucks at f and ff.
I really hope that JXL samples all individual instruments.But I also fear that he does not.

I really hope that JXL samples all individual instruments.But I also fear that he does not.
As ProfoundSilence mentioned above, in a leaked image, it showed notes for the trombones being in increasingly large sections. No individual players beyond a single solo instrument.

You may do well to skip Berlin Brass. I have it and can´t wait for JXL Brass because I am having such a hard time with Berlin Brass. It just sucks at f and ff.

I am still puzzled why there is so many 'not that happy' owners of the Berlin Brass. Have read numerous reviews on this specific library and find this one especially spot on:

It would be dissapointing if the JXL Brass doesn't have the Hn 1, 2, 3, 4 etc - for section creation - on top of the 48 Trbs in unisson that it will probably have :)

2 more months to go...

I am still puzzled why there is so many 'not that happy' owners of the Berlin Brass. Have read numerous reviews on this specific library and find this one especially spot on:

It would be dissapointing if the JXL Brass doesn't have the Hn 1, 2, 3, 4 etc - for section creation - on top of the 48 Trbs in unisson that it will probably have :)

2 more months to go...
I researched the market yesterday and an important point why Berlin Brass is viewed as a very good library may be because of the versatility with all those solo recorded instruments. I was a little ignorant about this fact, but Berlin Brass stands on its own when it comes to section building flexibility (a shame i.m.h.o). And since I just finished a mock-up of a classical piece I can say that this is absolutely neccessary when it comes to reproduce classical music because the composers of the past seldom put in e.g. 12 horns playing one note all together. They spread chords over the sections and if you want to reproduce this convincingly you need individual instruments.

If you play around with Berlin Brass the first time when making a review or such you will easily be overwhelmed because there are indeed great sounds in there.
But the other perspective is that the library is not very well balanced when you actially want to use it in context. For example, there are many crescendos performed shaky, the marcato samples have different lengths and intensities and especially the long notes are so unbalanced in intensity. Some notes play like p when they actually should play ff whereas others sound like f.

I complained about the library generally lacking higher dynamics but all OT support said is that the library is not intended for trailer music which is total nonsense. I have the biggest problems with every classical piece when the brass can´t perform ff or even f (in some notes).

Well, in most of my works I don´t need individually recorded instruments because I let sections play only one note but this is also caused by the fact that conventional sample libraries don´t give the possibility of such composition techniques in the first place because sections are recorded unisono. So, in this respect Berlin Brass is unique (if they would not have messed it up in parts).
So, if JXL Brass has no seperate instruments I still find it interesting but I also will still wait for a replacement for Berlin Brass and I would even support the idea to record even more single instruments.

Soooo i guess this isnt coming this year. If it is, i do hope they say something about it before Black Friday as otherwise i may buy a different brass library.

Would love to know at least some info (section sizes, articulations approx price etc)

I researched the market yesterday and an important point why Berlin Brass is viewed as a very good library may be because of the versatility with all those solo recorded instruments. I was a little ignorant about this fact, but Berlin Brass stands on its own when it comes to section building flexibility (a shame i.m.h.o). And since I just finished a mock-up of a classical piece I can say that this is absolutely neccessary when it comes to reproduce classical music because the composers of the past seldom put in e.g. 12 horns playing one note all together. They spread chords over the sections and if you want to reproduce this convincingly you need individual instruments.

If you play around with Berlin Brass the first time when making a review or such you will easily be overwhelmed because there are indeed great sounds in there.
But the other perspective is that the library is not very well balanced when you actially want to use it in context. For example, there are many crescendos performed shaky, the marcato samples have different lengths and intensities and especially the long notes are so unbalanced in intensity. Some notes play like p when they actually should play ff whereas others sound like f.

I complained about the library generally lacking higher dynamics but all OT support said is that the library is not intended for trailer music which is total nonsense. I have the biggest problems with every classical piece when the brass can´t perform ff or even f (in some notes).

Well, in most of my works I don´t need individually recorded instruments because I let sections play only one note but this is also caused by the fact that conventional sample libraries don´t give the possibility of such composition techniques in the first place because sections are recorded unisono. So, in this respect Berlin Brass is unique (if they would not have messed it up in parts).
So, if JXL Brass has no seperate instruments I still find it interesting but I also will still wait for a replacement for Berlin Brass and I would even support the idea to record even more single instruments.

Berlin brass not meant for trailer music? So that explains the need for JXL brass for Berlin brass owners then ? Hahah

Soooo i guess this isnt coming this year. If it is, i do hope they say something about it before Black Friday as otherwise i may buy a different brass library.

Would love to know at least some info (section sizes, articulations approx price etc)
You never know, the website still says "coming 2019", surely they would change it to 2020 by now if they thought they couldn't deliver on time

You never know, the website still says "coming 2019", surely they would change it to 2020 by now if they thought they couldn't deliver on time

You would hope so! However the page implies there would be updates and there hasn't been any for most of the year.

Maybe they will just suddenly release it with no further updates.

I'm sceptical though.

Ok so it's this year
I really hope the Kontakt version is released at the same time as the OT player

Top Bottom