What's new

J's Ensemble Maker -- free K2 script

JBacal

For those of you who may not have seen this at NS, I thought I'd repost it here. Please let me know what you think works and what can be improved. Thanks, Jay

I decided to start learning the Kontakt 2 scripting language. J?s Ensemble Maker is the first fruit of this labor.

https://www.Members.aol.com/jbacal/Kontakt/J_Ensemble_Maker_04.zip

What?s it do?

It creates ensembles up to 7 players without any phasing using only 1 instrument. It even works with VSL performance legato instruments.

What are the controls?

Voices: Number of player from 1 to 7.

Detune: Maximum amount of detuning of players in fractions of a half tone.

Random_Detune: When this button is ON detuning is random up to the maximum set by the Detune knob.

Spread: Distance players are spread across stereo field.

Pre_Slop: Adds sloppiness to players? entrances up to max of 1 sec.

End_Slop: Add sloppiness to end of players' notes **NOTE: for sustain playing please turn Pre_Slop and End_Slop knob to 0 (or close to 0) for best results.

Random_Slop: When this button is ON the ?slop factor? is random up to max set by Slop knob.

VSL_Legato mode: this mode enables the user to set a Slop amount when playing VSL performance legato instruments. The user can now hear all those lovely transition samples at slightly different times, creating a much more realistic, less synchronized, ensemble effect. COOL!

Sampled: Set this value to the largest amount samples have been stretched in the creation of the instrument. For example, if the instrument has been sampled chromatically set this knob to 1. If it?s been sampled every whole step set the knob to 2.

Pick Release grp: If you want to use instruments with release samples simply select the release sample group from the drop down menu in the Ensemble Maker. Oh, and there?s one more thing you have to do if you want to get the release samples to function properly.

You want ME to do something else?! I?m just a country doctor, Jim!! Not a bricklayer!

Calm down. It?s not that bad. You have to click on ?the Group Editor? button near the top then click on the release samples group in the group editor window then de-select the ?Release Trigger? button for the release samples group. That?s right DE-select (turn it off!) the ?Release Trigger? button for the release samples group.

Monophonic lines and legato lines play perfectly with release samples. However, if you hit 2 or more keys at exactly the same time?bug city?you hear out of tune release samples. Oh well.

Ignore: ignore notes above and below user-defined points. This enables the playing of keyswitch instruments

How do I install this thing?

Just drop the file into scripts folder usually located at C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt 2\presets\scripts. J?s Ensemble Maker should now be available in the Script Editor.

Is it free?

Yep.

Can I have the code?

Send me a PM. If there?s enough interest I?ll post the code. It?s pretty basic.

Does Jay like feedback?

I?m a feedback junkie. The more feedback I get the more motivated I become to write new code.

Best wishes,
Jay

Hey Jay I just tried it... it works flawless!!

Thks a lot :)

Great idea you had here...of course I'd be interested in seeing the script so let us know if you'll release it 8)

best,

Iv

works really well. I'm impressed. I finally got divis vlns by putting the single violin patch thru the script. Good work. Keep 'em coming.

Best,

Jose

Some of you who have tried it, could you post some examples. Especially interested to hear what your divisi violoins sound like, Jose.

Thanks,
Mahlon

Here is a short audio demo of the effect of J's Ensemble Maker v.04 K2 script.

https://www.Members.aol.com/jbacal/Kontakt/Ensemble_Maker_Solo_Violin_Demo.mp3

The instruments used in the demo are completely dry and unprocessed. The differences you hear between the repeated phrases are the result entirely of the Ensemble Maker script.

The first instrument you hear is the VSL solo Violin performance legato f portamento. The Pre_Slop setting is .200, the Sampled knob is set to 2. ***NOTE?VSL performance legato samples are not sampled Chromatically?usually the Sampled knob should be set to at least 2 for VSL Legato instruments. The first time the short phrase is played the Voices setting is 1, the second time the Voices setting is 3, and the third time the Voices setting is 7.

The VSL solo violin pizzicato plays the next short phrase. The Pre_Slop setting is .125, the Sampled knob is set to 1. The first time the short phrase is played the Voices setting is 1, the second time the Voices setting is 3, and the third time the Voices setting is 7.

There is a new version .04 now available with 3 small (but potentially frustrating) bug fixes.

https://www.Members.aol.com/jbacal/Kontakt/J_Ensemble_Maker_04.zip

If anyone wants the code for this script please send me a PM with your email address.

Best,

Jay

There was a problem with version 4 not unzipping. Should be fixed now.

Best,
Jay

https://www.jherringmusic.com/user/J%20scprit%20demo.mp3

Here's a little something that I banged out in about 2 minutes. It's the legato solo violin from EWQLSO Gold. With the script I can get divisi chord arrangements.

I had to delete the release trails because there was some problem with them and the script.

Jose

Jose-- Not too shabby for 2 minutes work :wink:

Release samples still aren't handled perfectly under all conditions.

Monophonic lines and legato lines should play fine. However if you hit 2 or more keys at exactly the same time you will hear out of tune release samples. Rats!

Is this the condition under which you experienced your release sample problems? Were you playing chords?

If you want to use instruments with release samples simply select the release sample group from the drop down menu in the Ensemble Maker. Oh, and there?s one more thing you have to do if you want to get the release samples to function properly.

You have to click on ?the Group Editor? button near the top then click on the release samples group in the group editor window then de-select the ?Release Trigger? button for the release samples group. That?s right DE-select (turn it off!) the ?Release Trigger? button for the release samples group.

Version 05 now has real time control over the number of voices (players). Just assign the number of the midi controller you wish to use.

Also the script now has no copy protection.

https://www.Members.aol.com/jbacal/Kontakt/J_Ensemble_Maker_05.zip

Best,
Jay

Sorry to revive an old thread - but it seemed more logical than starting a new and redundant one.

I had the chance to do some testing with this script today, and am impressed - it works far better than I had believed it would!

There is one issue though that didn't seem right - and no one else seems to have reported it here or elsewhere - the midi cc to control the number of players in the ensemble does not work correctly? Regardless of what cc it is set to, even if one deletes the code for the controller in the script itself, it appears that cc1 modwheel will effect the number of players. The trouble with this is, cc1 is the preferred controller for dynamics almost universally...

Has anyone esle experienced this issue? Is there a fix?

Thanks for bringining this back up - hadn't seen this yet.

So, does this work like Symphobia's cluster generator, ie - is it the same idea?

Cheers.

hey thats kewl...but the links dont work?

Edit: i found a working link, i hope its ok that i post it here .

https://www.vi-control.com/K2-Scripts/Jays_Ensemble_Maker_v.05_no_PW.zip (https://www.vi-control.com/K2-Scripts/Ja ... _no_PW.zip)

Sorry to revive an old thread - but it seemed more logical than starting a new and redundant one.

I had the chance to do some testing with this script today, and am impressed - it works far better than I had believed it would!

There is one issue though that didn't seem right - and no one else seems to have reported it here or elsewhere - the midi cc to control the number of players in the ensemble does not work correctly? Regardless of what cc it is set to, even if one deletes the code for the controller in the script itself, it appears that cc1 modwheel will effect the number of players. The trouble with this is, cc1 is the preferred controller for dynamics almost universally...

Has anyone esle experienced this issue? Is there a fix?

I have the same problems. Not sure if there is a fix.

It's a neat script, maybe we'll get an updated version..

I hope Jay deosn't mind but here is the fix. You need to change the last bit to this:

on controller
$Voices := %CC[$midi_cc]/18
end on

Justin

I hope Jay deosn't mind but here is the fix. You need to change the last bit to this:

on controller
$Voices := %CC[$midi_cc]/18
end on

Justin

Thank you for chiming in with a fix Justin :)
Unfortuneatly.. it didn't quite work for me? Touching the modwheel, regardless of position now, resets the ensemble number back to one.. :?

On the bright side this did give me a clue to at least be able to render the script useable - simply deleting that final statement you quoted disables the control alltogether so that the ensemble number stays put.
Alas.. no controlable divisi number.. but still a step forward

PS.
For those who have trouble finding the script, there is a working download link available on Nils' script page in the section describing his "Part Maker"

Top Bottom