JS Bach Organ Chorale (BWV 727) - arranged for strings and organ

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by teclark7, Feb 8, 2019.

1. teclark7

teclark7 New Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Here is an arrangement I did of JS Bach's Organ Chorale (BWV 727) for strings and organ.

All feedback appreciated.

I am particularly interested on feedback on the mix as I mix exclusively on headphones (ATH-M50x). Any tips on how to mix on headphones from experienced members would be great. At the moment I use TB Morphit to correct my headphones and MagicAB for checking against references. I am also trying iZotope Tonal Balance Control and ISOL8 to get tonal balance right.

For those interested, I used all VSL instruments: VSL Chamber Strings Full, VSL Synchron-ized Appassionata Strings and VSL SE Organ, with VIR MIR Pro 24 (Vienna ORF Grossersendesaal). Other plugins include Waves SSL and Relab's VSR S24.

Bill the Lesser and Gerald like this.
  2. Nesciochamp

Nesciochamp https://soundcloud.com/nipduif

Aug 30, 2017
    First of all, big Bach fan but definitely not a fan of organ. It's too non-dynamic for me. I can only imagine it makes the mixing a bitch too. In your composition, the dynamics are lost as well. Is it really necessary to start with all registers open? If I may suggest, try creating the dynamics with instruments that can be dynamic, e.g. your strings (they are really flat here). Go easy on the stops (registers) and also on the mid-range frequency (also on headphones now).

Cheers,
    Nipduif

3. OP
    OP
    teclark7

teclark7 New Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks for the honest constructive feedback.

There are only two registers on the VSL SE Organ but I am doubling the right hand part in octaves to get it to cut through. That might have been a mistake. I hadn't thought about varying it throughout the piece - bring it in just for a part. That's definitely something for me to look at.

Regarding the dynamic on the strings, I am new to this and I did have some trouble keeping the dynamics down. I have CC controls for expression, velocity X-fade, attack and some slot x-fade. I had some filter on the violins as well. I might need to go back to square one and try this again.

4. Nesciochamp

Nesciochamp https://soundcloud.com/nipduif

Aug 30, 2017
    I'm not here to discourage you my friend.
    There are no mistakes if it sounds right to you! It's nice to hear you're willing to listen to criticism,
    that will make you a better midi-mock-up-ist (?) in no-time. I'm just ventilating my truth, which may very well be different than others.

Looking forward to your Version 2, if you decide to give it a second go.

Here is an easy-going example which was the reason of replying to your post:

Cheers

teclark7 likes this.