What's new

Joshua Bell violin, VSL clarinet, Pianoteq piano trio

Dear Villain

Hi all,

Originally, this thread turned in to a comparison between VSL's solo violin and Embertone's Joshua Bell violin. I've since also changed out the Kontakt piano for Pianoteq's Steinway D. So...the final instrumentation is: Joshua Bell violin, VSL clarinet, and Pianoteq piano. Hope you'll enjoy!

https://www.maestroscorner.com/audio/forum/canidream.mp3 (Can I Dream?)

David Carovillano

p.s. all the responses below (before March 15th) refer to the previous versions.

Last edited:
I think I like the new violin better... it sounds fluent and expressive, and portamenti are more natural. Not loving the piano, to me it sounds almost like a digital piano recorded with a microphone... it's all attack and no sustain

Yeah both violins are good. #1 has more of a raw, edgy and natural "ringy metallic" character which I think I prefer but the glides/portamento, note changes in general sound better on #2.

I'm thinking #2 is JB?

Thanks for your feedback, guys!

Rob, the piano is simply from Kontakt factory (NY Phil) but I played it in live for a more realistic performance.

Paul, always appreciate your support.

Quasar, #2 is actually VSL. It's funny how subjective this all is...we all have different preferences/ideas of what sounds best. Chasing everyone's ideal performance/sound is futile, so ultimately we need to do what pleases us...which in this case is uh...#1 or...#2...or, uh...yeah :)

Dave

Thanks for your feedback, guys!

Rob, the piano is simply from Kontakt factory (NY Phil) but I played it in live for a more realistic performance.

Paul, always appreciate your support.

Quasar, #2 is actually VSL. It's funny how subjective this all is...we all have different preferences/ideas of what sounds best. Chasing everyone's ideal performance/sound is futile, so ultimately we need to do what pleases us...which in this case is uh...#1 or...#2...or, uh...yeah :)

Dave
Dave, #1 (JB) is the one in the new version?

Dave
Thanks!, because I have JB and not VSL, and I really did prefer the tonal dynamics in the 1st one.

Nice piece by the way. It got more interesting as it went along. I do sort of agree about the piano sounding brittle or something, lacking natural sustain and decay.

Top Bottom